Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

TBA Meeting 2 (Tool Buyers Anonymous)

366K views 5K replies 140 participants last post by  Lettusbee 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
All right, we've talked about it long enough so I think it's time we organized ourselves and held a virtual meeting. Here's what I'm proposing; at the end of each week we come to this thread and confess our "sins" for the week. We are a sick lot us "tool buyers" and I think it will help knowing that we aren't alone and there are others like us out there! I'll go first...

Hello, my name is Terry and it's been 12 hours since I bought my last tool. This past week I purchased a used 1/2" Dewalt hammer drill for $55 (it's used so I don't think it should count!) and new tool belt (I really needed it and it was one with the built in back support so I don't think that should count either since it should really be classed as a medical purchase).

Whew, that feels better getting that off my chest. I'll just sit down now and turn the podium over to...
This thread is a continuation of the original TBA Meeting.
https://www.contractortalk.com/f40/tba-meeting-tool-buyers-anonymous-6536/

#2,704 ·
I bought the single before the double pack...only because I lost the previous knife I was using...found that one when I helped the wife clean up my stuff...still wish I had gotten the double pack haha.

#29 · (Edited)
oh and if you notice the vertical line of spots on the wall just about in line with where the lathe chuck would be... if you plan to turn some small projects ~1" diameter), you need to be up around 2200 RPM to get clean cuts. If you plan on finishing them with CA glue, as I did, be sure not to leave it at 2200 RPM when you go to apply the glue. 600 RPM is more than enough.

After years of needing one I finally bought a multi tool! Couldn’t pass up the deal that basically included a free drill and two small batteries as well
You picked the best cordless tool (IMHO) to start with. Only one I use any more. It sands REALLY well too, something to keep in mind if you're needing to sand something into a corner.

#28 ·
Santa showed up today in a big brown sleigh!

This thing sure makes some nice cuts in hardwood. I was thrown off a bit by the sound of the motor compared to the 10" cordless but she ate 2" x 3" laminated walnut, hard maple and birch blank I glued up no problem. Very stable head compared to the 10", and blades are dirt cheap so maybe I'll actually have a miter saw I can keep a decent blade in for nice pieces of wood.

Also, really digging the Harbor Freight lathe and their "Pro" turning chisel set. Once I sharpened them properly they hold an edge really well.Turned 4 bottle stopper blanks and the laminated hardwood from above into a 19" French rolling pin and sanded all of them to 600 grit in about 2 hours.

Attachments

#31 ·
Bought bosch 1617 router with both bases, bosch SDS dust shroud, 4 dewalt clear tops tuff boxes, 4 dewalt small tuff boxes, some marples chisles, and 3 tuff racks for the boxes. Was just telling the mrs that it was only 800 but there's some stuff I forgot like the m12 propex and a bunch of fittings... so.. it was more like 2000... ooops

#33 ·
We should rename this the Tool Whore thread.:laughing:

#107 ·
I have that shroud. It's not bad. Easy to install. The dust extraction hose adapter isn't the nicest...falls off easy. Also a little trial and error to get it flat to the surface you are grinding and keep it flat while using it. It does do a decent job containing the dust.