Secondary Air Tank. - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Secondary Air Tank.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: remodeler/gc
Rewards Points: 288

Secondary Air Tank.

My massive operations have a MAC 2400 that I use primarily in the shop and a MAC 700 for the road, it's fine for most applications. But just not up to the task for HVLP and the like.

I'm thinking I might pick up a 12 gallon air tank and set it up down stream of the compressor. I could set it up where both compressors feed the tank when I need a lot of air.

Seems to me it would provide more air, less water in the lines, and a lot less wear on the compressor. All for $30 and some parts I already own.

Anyone do something similar? Any downside's I haven't thought of?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #2

Trade: Stage Carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Secondary Air Tank.

For anything air you really aren't going to be able to run tools or guns properly with a compressor that is undersized even with a larger tank. Even if you add storage, once you hit a tank pressure below your required pressure you'll need to stop and wait for it to catch up, which will take about 8x the time and put a lot of wear on the compressor. I would just purchase a properly sized compressor when possible and just paint slowly until then.

Your current compressor will thank you.

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 911

There is little downside to running two compressors linked together. A lot of comercial shops have dual pump setups. Adding more storage capacity will certainly help with your spraying needs. You might want to see if you can find a lower cfm air cap for your gun. They make a huge difference on air demands.
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

It will help somewhat. Hook it up before the regulator for maximum benefit. I "T" mine off the safety valve connection w. 3/8" not 1/4" QD's for best air flow. HVLP hi flow 1/4" connectors can work too. I think the std. QD's are too restrictive to fill a tank efficiently.
My Wagner CAP HVLP conversion gun does OK w. my Thomas air pac twin or Hitachi EC12. I use a goodyear rubber 1/2" hose with the larger QD's.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Trees are Cool

Trade: Carpenter Builder
Rewards Points: 215

One concern about an extra tank inline is when/if you disconnect it downstream there is no stop and the air will dump fast and furious, unless there is a shutoff and it is shutoff.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #6

Trade: Stage Carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by migcarp View Post
One concern about an extra tank inline is when/if you disconnect it downstream there is no stop and the air will dump fast and furious, unless there is a shutoff and it is shutoff.
For a similar reason I installed a 1/4" high flow check valve on my 100' 3/8" Goodyear hose. At one point I was using wrought iron Universal Connectors no restriction there. I deemed it overkill for a 1.8HP Craftsman Belt Drive compressor.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Air tanks have a shut off on the tank already, if you are buying the ones usually available. My 2 both have them.

Advertisement