Screwgun For Decking Or Flooring - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Screwgun For Decking Or Flooring

Old 10-31-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: GC - Home repair
Rewards Points: 280

Screwgun For Decking Or Flooring

Any suggestions?

For occasional sub flooring and decking.
But need something that can use a 3" stainless deck screw.

Had my mind on a senco but looks like they dont have a #10 x 3 stainless screw. For treated 2 x 6 decking

Is my only option the simpson quick drive?
I know they make good stuff. But also feel there fastners are overpriced.
thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 4,324

Re: Screwgun For Decking Or Flooring

Senco, That’s what I have

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #3

Trade: Remodeling & Design Contractor
Rewards Points: 14

PAMfast made by fasten master. Played with one at a local vendor shop. Hands down would buy over the quick drive. They sell 3" stainless Torx screws. I think the fasteners my be a bit limited but the product will out work a quick drive all day. I love my quick drive but the PAM feels and works great. Also think about ease of screw purchasing I know quick drive has become a little more limited in my area. I find myself order a lot of what we use online. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 01:22 PM   #4

Trade: GC aka adult baby sitter
Rewards Points: 12

Same as EBA, I've had the pamfast for about 5 years with zero issue.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC - Home repair
Rewards Points: 280

Pamfast looks good but is it worth it. Looking at 10 x 3 stainless screws per 1000

Pamfast = $351.00

Simpson quickdrive = $231.00

Senco = $171.00 but only a 800 count and a #9 screw.

Does this may a difference to you.
The true longterm cost of the pamfast would be a lot more.

Looks like the best buy maybe the simpson just based on true cost.
Works out the screws would be about 15.00 more per 800 but you get a #10 screw which I think would be worth morethan that difference.

Just adding more info, if this makes any difference to opinions.

Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited by rayh78; 10-31-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,708

Any thoughts on the Camo gun? If it takes alternative screws.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2019, 07:01 PM   #7

Trade: Remodeling & Design Contractor
Rewards Points: 14

Not apples to apples in cost! Simpson are square drive and Pamfast are torx. Simpson torx drive are almost double there square drive in their hand drive. Question has always been why? Same screw different head/bit. I have so much money wrapped up in stainless steel hardware. Maze ring in all sizes to every size trim and bugle head. Our shop looks like a hardware store lol.
Based on use alone (customers are paying for consumables.) The aggravation of the bit coming out of the tip of a Simpson quick Drive is worth the extra money for PAMfast screws lol. My guys or myself have never been able to use the extension in our quick with much success. Usually results in screw not set right or at an angle. Pam fast was pull the trigger and go with precision.
I am only stating all this so you understand from a in the field usage stand point. BTW I am the type of guy wants every screw to line up perfectly as well as equally spaced. You sound like your building large treated board walks maybe even large treated decks. If its about speed and not having to stop, bend over and reset the last screw then Pam fast would be a win in my book.

Simpson has many Pro's
Stores in a box similar to Milwaukee sawzall box so it does take up lots of space. Lots of fasteners options. Lots of Attachments, over all a great mechanical unit. Bit to screw is a nice tight fit.

Cons some of there galvanized decking screws are junk (snap easy) we use them for subfloor some times and treated decking. Heavy, extension is useless. Bit staying in head. Setting the head is hit or miss. Likes to over drive more than not.

PAMfast Pro's
Light wieght, well balanced, has a more precision feels when setting and sinking screws. I don't have to bend over the hole time or slow down when securing subflooring. Hold more screws if that matters. Very nice case

Cons. Way oversize storage case, limited screw selection, thats all I got for the hour i used one lol.

To be honest we really don't use our quick drive much other than for sub flooring. We install a lot of ipe so pre drill and set by hand. Simpsons hardwood srcews did ok but wasn't for us. Man I hope this helps you lol. I love buying tools, I dont like buying them twice or wishing I had bought a different one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement