Router Table Base Cabinet. - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Router Table Base Cabinet.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Router Table Base Cabinet.

hey guys,

I'm building a base cabinet for my router table top. I ordered everything but the base.

I plan on building it out of 3/4 finish ply, just looking for some advice from someone that has built one before, like what kind of feet to put on it.

I plan on having the table in the trailer most of the time. but I think it would be better to have something adjustable on the bottom instead of just plywood base against the floor.

What is a good brand of adjustable (screw up/down?)feet?

I got the solid phenolic woodpeckers table today and it's a really sturdy solid surface, should stay stable and flat for a long time.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Router Table Base Cabinet.

You can never have too much storage and you can never have too much space around the router for changing bits, adjustments, etc. I recommend a minimum of 6" of clearance around the router inside the cabinet. You may want to think about dust collection, which means a vacuum port on the back or side of the cabinet and a relatively air tight door. The more air pulled around the router base, the better the chips will clear.

If the cabinet will be removable from the trailer, I'd suggest castered wheels with two of those casters having locks. The footprint of the cabinet should be small enough that an uneven floor either in the trailer or on the jobsite shouldn't be a problem. If it is, just toss a shim under one of the casters will take care of any wobble.

I would recommend a series of shallow drawers that are about 1" - 2" deeper than the tallest bit that will be in it. Cut a 1" - 1-1/2" thick board that will fit in the bottom of the drawer and drill holes that are the same size as the shanks on the bits for storing the bits safely.

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Dan

yeah. im going to have dust collecting using the SUPER fence from woodpeckers plus a second hose hooked up under the cabinet to the Triton router's dust port.
I was going to make the front a cabinet face with a single door (maybe two doors) and then a fixed shelf towards the bottom that closes off the top area to the bottom area, and then below that fixed shelf is a few slide out drawers to house bits and other tools. The router wrench and misc tools will be stored on the base too.

I bought a kreg multpurpose router switch that will get mounted on the left side and that can have two tools plugged into it, so the vac will turn on at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

I would skip the ply and go for MDF and not the UL MDF. The weight and density of the MDF will help absorb vibration and cut down on chatter. Weight is your friend with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TBFGhost For This Useful Post:
ApgarNJ (10-17-2010)
Old 10-17-2010, 05:38 AM   #5
Dan

TBF, I don't need the table top. I bought a nice woodpeckers solid phenolic top already for a plate and tracks. it was worth it, when you see how sturdy this thing is.

I assume you were saying MDF for laminating the top right? I think for weight , the 3/4 ply would be better, since it's going in the trailer and it's already weighted down.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

I would try something other than a permanent base. That thing could end up some pretty good weight. I got my table finished yesterday and gave it a quick try just sitting on some saw horses. Worked really well and I was able to quickly set it up. Gonna be even faster once I get the mft to put it in. If you was leaving it in a shop then I would say a nice base would be good.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Dan

I'm not sure how to keep it in the trailer if it's not on a fixed base. The router top is doing to be fastened with short L brackets to the base I build. The phenolic has pre-tapped holes and came with screws for use with woodpeckers metal stand. I don't like this because it doesn't have storage and it's all open under there.

I don't really plan on having this out of the trailer. I don't run trim every day, nor do I make custom mouldings everyday. I just want it for when I need it. I can run some out at home this way since the trailer doesn't go on the smaller jobs.

The base cabinet shouldn't be more than 30 inches wide, since the top is 32x24. I'm sure I can move it on the trailer floor alone and two of us can lift it out if we ever need to take it inside an addition or something we are working on. I don't see that happening often though. The trailer has a front ramp and back ramp, I can run long or short material right through on the passenger side of the trailer which is where the table is going.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,858

get a 30" sink base or something.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Dan

I just tore out a kitchen but someone else took the cabinets. the sink base was 36" and not in the best of shape. I wanted a solid built one with pocket screws all over so it holds together going down the road in the trailer where things can get bouncy sometimes.

It won't take too long to build with the kreg pocket screws. one sheet of 3/4 ply should enough
Old 10-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
I like Green things

I think I would like some drawers in it to store all the parts and pieces.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
Dan

yeah. i mentioned that. I plan to have at least one larger drawer, maybe two thinner ones at the bottom. the router hanging down plus the toe kick at the bottom does take up some space vertically in the cabinet so I may only have space for one larger drawer. That should hold a lot of bits. it really doesn't even need to be a drawer, just a piece of 3/4 ply with solid wood edges and attach the drawer glides to that. put that below the fixed shelve in the center. I could drill 1/2" and 1/4" holes in the slab to store the bits, no real traditional DRAWER is necessary for the bits, maybe accessories may get a deep regular drawer if there is room.

I'll take pics as I build it. I may work on it this week. I'm just waiting for my new router plate to come in, since they sent me the wrong plate initially,
Old 10-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
I like Green things

Get some open cell high density foam stuff.

use a plug cutter and cut the holes for bits.

the stay nice and snug and the foam is gentle on them as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
ApgarNJ (10-17-2010)
Old 10-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
Dan

does festool make a plug cutter?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
I like Green things

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ View Post
does festool make a plug cutter?
I don't think so.

The make a nice self centering bit thingy.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
Finish Carpenter

No, I was talking for your base....The MDF base will also help to absorb the vibrations...might muffle some sound as well? Did you look at the set-ups on Plansnow.com?
Old 10-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #16
Dan

how do you think MDF is going to hold up being screwed/glued together in a trailer that moves, and bounces around sometimes. I'm thinking long term here, is it going to have to be rebuilt in a few years. if want moisture ever does get to it, MDF isn't going to fair as well as real plywood. I think maybe something to isolate the vibration if it's a problem between the base and the phenolic top might be in order.

I've never been a big fan of MDF and have limited use with it. just the way things have panned out. Most of my projects never have me working with it.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #17
Finish Carpenter

MDF is a good product...but it doesn't work that well when end screwed and what not. Build a frame and cover it with MDF. MDF will be fine with the moisture unless you plan on leaving this thing out in the rail all the time. MDF doesn't just turn to dust went it gets wet. I am not trying to isolate the vibration to the top....I am trying to help take the vibration FROM it and absorb it. Same theory in Cast Iron wood working tools...weight absorbs the vibrations.

I get a feeling your very closed minded about this material. Its just like anything else....its different, so treat it that way. Look at its strengths and weaknesses...and you can find ways to overcome the weaknesses and cash in on the strengths....

Trying to work with MDF the same as ply is like trying to make finish cuts with a saw-z-all and calling it junk.

Last edited by TBFGhost; 10-17-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #18
I like Green things

MDO would work great.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #19
Finish Carpenter

Same concept.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #20
Dan

I may line the inside of the cabinet with MDF then, but make main cabinet ply for strength so the screws hold it better. i can see screws pulling out of MDF over time going down the road hundreds of miles.

i'm not closed minded, just need to do this right the first time and not remake it.

Advertisement