Recommend A Vacuum For Concrete Dust Removal? - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Recommend A Vacuum For Concrete Dust Removal?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #1

Trade: Drywall jockie
Rewards Points: 75
Question

Recommend A Vacuum For Concrete Dust Removal?

Im grinding a slab on grade that has many bumps in it and im using a Hilti DG150 grinder hooked up to a ridgid shop vac and the vacuum cant keep up with the dust removal and shoots the dust out the vacuums exhaust..Im using the dust filter with a bag and still having this problem.

Ive decided it would make things a lot easier to just get another vacuum the question is which one...can anyone recommend a good vacuum for this job?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Re: Recommend A Vacuum For Concrete Dust Removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_Pat View Post
Im grinding a slab on grade that has many bumps in it and im using a Hilti DG150 grinder hooked up to a ridgid shop vac and the vacuum cant keep up with the dust removal and shoots the dust out the vacuums exhaust..Im using the dust filter with a bag and still having this problem.

Ive decided it would make things a lot easier to just get another vacuum the question is which one...can anyone recommend a good vacuum for this job?
Did you rent the grinder? If you did go back and rent the hilti vac that works with it. Are you using the vac you have with a bag and good quality heap rated filter?

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: capenter
Rewards Points: 219

Ruwac. that is what we have used for the grinding for densifying concrete and they are amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

buy a DustDeputy first. seriously It will pull 99% of concrete dust by weight before it ever gets to your VAC then buy the Drywall bag and a new filter for your rigid. I Guarantee it will outperform ANY VAC under $650, not using a separator, in time before servicing due to loss of suction and price for bags.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Note I am running a NILFISK with a selfcleaner in the vid but I really dont need it with the Dust Deputy
Old 02-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build
Rewards Points: 2,000

I went from a ridgid to a fein turbo II when I had to grind thinset off of a concrete floor. the ridgid just couldn't suck the dust up fast enough and it was going everywhere and the hose would clog.

I originally didn't want to use my fein for concrete dust but with a fine filter bag it was fine.

the fein sucked it all up no problem, didn't need my dust mask anymore.

just change the bag before it fills and explodes.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Aureli Construction

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

If you can, use water on the area you are grinding/drilling. Very little dust if done correctly. You can use a dry vac later to clean it up.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #7

Trade: Floor Prep
Rewards Points: 10

go for a Starmix ISPARD1435 Vac, i have proven it time and time to be reliable for sucking the dust -
Old 05-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
Jeff

Trade: master turd burglar
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
Did you rent the grinder? If you did go back and rent the hilti vac that works with it. Are you using the vac you have with a bag and good quality heap rated filter?
I second the hilti vac idea. We used it to cut concrete inside an office with the hilti saw, no dust at all.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 781

I second the dust deputy. I used a cup grinder with a dust collection shroud on a Makita grinder to grind about 400 sq. ft. of concrete with a ridged shop vac and a dust deputy.
the air was dust free and I filled up a five gallon bucket about a third of the way with concrete dust and had almost none in the filter.
it helps to have someone move it around for you while you are grinding. but not necessary
nicko
Old 05-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Repair & Renovation

Trade: R. Damato Construction
Rewards Points: 2,584

Ive used my festool 36 AC dust extractor that i use for drywall sanding with excellent results..

As others said they make a hilti extractor which will also work fine.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D. View Post
Ive used my festool 36 AC dust extractor that i use for drywall sanding with excellent results..

As others said they make a hilti extractor which will also work fine.
i used mine yesterday to grind about 250sqft of concrete. worked great. i def need that blast gate though.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
Repair & Renovation

Quote:

i used mine yesterday to grind about 250sqft of concrete. worked great. i def need that blast gate though.
I probably could of saved myself the 55 bucks and done without the blast gate.

I only use it to the clean the filter and using your palm as a blast gate works just as good! I also keep the hose on all the time so i dont have to worry dust escaping in transport.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D.

I probably could of saved myself the 55 bucks and done without the blast gate.

I only use it to the clean the filter and using your palm as a blast gate works just as good! I also keep the hose on all the time so i dont have to worry dust escaping in transport.
I get sick of pulling that hose out once the bag gets close to full. I must have had close to 100lbs of thinset dust in there the other day. Didn't realize until I tried to pick it up and it felt like it was stuck to the ground lol. Really needed the blast gate then.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: building
Rewards Points: 1,658

Quote:
I get sick of pulling that hose out once the bag gets close to full. I must have had close to 100lbs of thinset dust in there the other day. Didn't realize until I tried to pick it up and it felt like it was stuck to the ground lol. Really needed the blast gate then.
i'm glad to hear your 36ac is working well for concrete dust. i dry sand/polish my designer concrete projects and need a good vac for it.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by duburban View Post
i'm glad to hear your 36ac is working well for concrete dust. i dry sand/polish my designer concrete projects and need a good vac for it.
If you got it i think you would be well impressed with it. The customer couldn't believe i ground that floor and didn't leave a spec of dust outside that area. The makita dust shroud helps a lot as well though.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
Repair & Renovation

Quote:

I get sick of pulling that hose out once the bag gets close to full.
What do you mean?

Quote:

I must have had close to 100lbs of thinset dust in there the other day. Didn't realize until I tried to pick it up and it felt like it was stuck to the ground lol. Really needed the blast gate then.
So true. My vac gets so heavy i only roll it around and over stuff.

How is the makita dust shroud?

I was looking at hiltis surface grinding set up but its to much $ i think for really just a shroud.

Bosch also makes a surface grinder for about 500$. But again thats too much money for a tool ill use maybe 2-3 times a year.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D. View Post
What do you mean?

So true. My vac gets so heavy i only roll it around and over stuff.

How is the makita dust shroud?

I was looking at hiltis surface grinding set up but its to much $ i think for really just a shroud.

Bosch also makes a surface grinder for about 500$. But again thats too much money for a tool ill use maybe 2-3 times a year.

When the vac gets full the filter seems to pick up the dust from the top of the pile and fill the filter up really quick. If I AC and put my hand over the inlet then it clears it for a about 30-40 seconds then it's lost about 70% of it's suction. If I only let it get about half full I dont need to AC it too many times each time I use it.

The makita dust shroud works very well. Almost zero dust comes from it.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
Repair & Renovation

Quote:

When the vac gets full the filter seems to pick up the dust from the top of the pile and fill the filter up really quick. If I AC and put my hand over the inlet then it clears it for a about 30-40 seconds then it's lost about 70% of it's suction. If I only let it get about half full I dont need to AC it too many times each time I use it.

The makita dust shroud works very well. Almost zero dust comes from it.
That just happend to me. I was 75% full and lost suction real bad. I figured you could full the bag almost to the top but i guess not...

Im guessing the makita shroud only works with a makita grinder...
Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

We own the Blastrac BDC 1216, it's designed for concrete grinding and is favorable on drywall dust as well without ruining the motor. Comes with 2 motors and when grinding large floors does not leave that haze of dust floating thru the air
Old 05-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D.

That just happend to me. I was 75% full and lost suction real bad. I figured you could full the bag almost to the top but i guess not...

Im guessing the makita shroud only works with a makita grinder...
It should fit any grinder that size. It clips in the same way as the blade guards. Not sure if they are different sizes.

Advertisement