Ramset Woes - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Ramset Woes

Old 06-08-2015, 08:04 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,272

Ramset Woes

Some days I wonder why I bother with Ramset (or powder actuated tools in general).

1903 house, old bathroom , attaching furring strip, go for the ramset for speed. Figured old brick, #2 with 1.5". Goes in 1/4".

Step up to #4, goes in most of the way, but still proud on top. Give it a quick swing of the hammer, cracks brick. Try another spot, same thing, proud. wack, split. Go to #5, just straight split.

Go to tapcon. No split. Just takes a hell of a lot longer.

Anyone else Go through this? Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just normal ramset woes?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 874

Re: Ramset Woes

I don't like ramset for brick, you need to hit the mortar joint or it will crack and if the brick is that old the mortar probably won't hold worth a damn anyway. Tapcons are slower but you won't break the substrate as much. I have actually used a senco sn70 framing nailer and 6 penny nails into mortar joints with good results. Just wear eye protection for sure.

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,272

Ya, I'd be scared that that nail will just shoot right back toward me, and just "happen" to go through a part of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 15,107

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax718 View Post
Some days I wonder why I bother with Ramset (or powder actuated tools in general).

1903 house, old bathroom , attaching furring strip, go for the ramset for speed. Figured old brick, #2 with 1.5". Goes in 1/4".

Step up to #4, goes in most of the way, but still proud on top. Give it a quick swing of the hammer, cracks brick. Try another spot, same thing, proud. wack, split. Go to #5, just straight split.

Go to tapcon. No split. Just takes a hell of a lot longer.

Anyone else Go through this? Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just normal ramset woes?
I don't know about brick, but I just installed furring on concrete for a bathroom. If it splits it's still fine since I use polyurethane glue behind them. I had a couple proud heads and I just smacked the board into them.