Porter Cable 557 Plate Joiner - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Porter Cable 557 Plate Joiner

Old 10-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #1

Trade: Subcontractor
Rewards Points: 10

Porter Cable 557 Plate Joiner

buying my first plate joiner need to know type 1,2,3,4,5, what is the difference

thanks Ken

Last edited by krm; 10-18-2009 at 10:07 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
All ahead flank

Trade: Kitchen and Bath Remodeling, Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Porter Cable 557 Plate Joiner

Porter-Cable is good, solid choice. I use mine frequently in cabinet making, completely pleased with its performance. Researched it thoroughly, and tried it against the DeWalt, and prefer the PC to DeWalt. Numbers refer to the biscuit sizes, from smallest, which are well suited to face frames, through largest sizes, which are used for table top glue-ups and sheet goods.

The PC kit includes two blades that allow you to match the biscuit to the job. Do some online research and ensure this is the joining system you want to use, instead of a Kreg jig for instance, or dowels.

The operator's manual is about average, could be better. It pre-supposes a working knowledge of this type of tool.

Bottom line: Very good tool for the price, and a good means of joining wood when medium strength joints are required.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Early types 1, 2, I think, has some issues that require shimming. The fix by PC caused B&D to file suit on their DW fence patent. I believe type 4 which I have has no issues. Do a google search you will find details. Best for the money. has 2 blades so you can use smaller biscuits [FF]for Face frames and edging on narrow stock. I added some wet/dry sand paper to the fence face to reduce slipping, used spray adhesive, cut out with fine knife blade. Also, there is a bit of motor torque, so trigger first , let come to speed, then cut. A slow start like on the Routers would be an improvement, and the side plastic fence pivot plates could have been made in metal. I may buy a spare set as who knows what B&D will do with the PC lineup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #4

Trade: Subcontractor
Rewards Points: 10

well i wint with the PC made short work out of the cab on to the next job

thanks
Ken
Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 874

I have used the cadillac of plate joiners, the Lamello Top 10. Its a nice tool, but I don't think the cost is worth it. If they were on the shelf next to one another, I would still reach for the PC.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

I have an early DeWalt. Approx 12-15 yrs old.

I am just wishing it would die so I could get the PC. Only DeWalt tool I have purchased that I am not happy with - only found this out after using someone else's PC.

Advertisement