Porter Cable - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Porter Cable

Old 01-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 418

Porter Cable

About an month ago I picked up this saw from lowes.

I know Porter Cable is not what it used to be, but what brand is? Anyhow I was looking for a decent saw for daily work use but didn't want to spend too much, at the same time I did not want to buy a real cheapo tool. This thing is built fairly well. So far it has performed flawless. There are a few things that could have been thought out better but overall it is ok. I picked this over the ridgid tablesaw that seems to be on sale every second week, because of its bulky size that takes up way to much space in my work van. And is a PITA to lug around job sites.

Anyone have experience with the porter cable drills? They are more expensive then ridgid and seem to be built ok. I was thinking of picking up the cordless hammer drill and 18V impact driver. They are on sale this week, anyone had experience with them?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Boondockian

Trade: Getting the job done
Rewards Points: 1,018

Re: Porter Cable

I had the 4 piece set(NiCa) for about a day a couple years ago. The Drill wasn't balanced right to me and that would be the most used tool for what iwas doing at the time, So kind of a deal breaker. Ended up returning it. I'm thinking about getting the impact driver now.

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

i have the impact..meh..it's ok
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 688

Get a Rousseau table saw stand for that. Makes the saw even better.
The Following User Says Thank You to alboston For This Useful Post:
FRAME2FINISH (10-26-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: custom carpentry
Rewards Points: 836

I use to have the complete 18v line. Really for the price you cant beat them. If you do residential your be happy with them. But if you do comerical you wont be happy with the battery life. The hammer drill is nice if you have 1 or 2 holes to drill haha. Unless you have a pile of batteries. But like i said the price is great. They dont preform like my makitas but there less then half the price.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 9,028

The only thing porter Cable I own is a router and an old awesome door planer like this;

Name:  image-2526195415.jpg
Views: 2456
Size:  63.1 KB
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
Craftmark (01-27-2013), Old Grumpy (01-20-2013), PrestigeR&D (10-30-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Pro

Ok so lowes had the impact driver on sale. I picked it up. All reviews I read were positive so well see how this thing holds up.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

first PC impact I had fell off a step ladder and broke at the handle,I picked up the tool only one cause i had the batts and charger

Now I'm having issues with it not running in the cold,even with the batts fully charged
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Pro

I know porter cable has never made the best cordless stuff even from day one. I have seen some shots of the new 20v line that looks ok. My current cordless stuff is Milwaukee which is supposed to be top of the line but I have had problems with the drills, so I figured I try these out.

Last edited by Millworker; 01-27-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: cabinets and green building
Rewards Points: 160

a step ladder... I bought a dewalt 14 volt about 15 years ago that I dropped off several roofs and it survived. It finally cracked when it fell off a three story high scaffold.
The Following User Says Thank You to Friend For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend View Post
a step ladder... I bought a dewalt 14 volt about 15 years ago that I dropped off several roofs and it survived. It finally cracked when it fell off a three story high scaffold.

Anything from 15 years ago is better then anything out now. Quality has gone down hill across all brands. The biggest issue with dewalt that I encountered was the torque settings always jamming up. Especially on the 3speed models. Added to the fact people swap out there dead batteries for your good ones on crowded job sites.
The Following User Says Thank You to Millworker For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

My local lumber yard is constantly having PC stuff returned. They stopped selling it.

The only PC stuff that has any type of value to me is their biscuit joiner and their routers. I am sure the value there is diminishing also. I have a PC finish stapler that won't die so their pneumatics I used to have confidence in. The last PC 15ga angle nailer I bought was junk. I would jam 10 out of 15 times.

It pains me to think you gave up the Ridgid for that PC. I have no clue what your mention of it being a PITA is talking about. That thing is so easy to maneuver, load up, fold up, just etc, etc, freakn etc to the max. I love that thing.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by alboston View Post
Get a Rousseau table saw stand for that. Makes the saw even better.
That stand cost more then the saw
The Following User Says Thank You to JonM For This Useful Post:
Craftmark (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
Remodeler

Trade: Professional Remodeler
Rewards Points: 306

Ryobi,,,,,best impact by far
Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 9,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millworker View Post
Ok so lowes had the impact driver on sale. I picked it up. All reviews I read were positive so well see how this thing holds up.

Looks like the milwaukee
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
maninthesea (10-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
Ryobi,,,,,best impact by far
For what? Running screws into styrofoam?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craftmark For This Useful Post:
maxwage (02-02-2013), PolishHammer (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
It pains me to think you gave up the Ridgid for that PC. I have no clue what your mention of it being a PITA is talking about. That thing is so easy to maneuver, load up, fold up, just etc, etc, freakn etc to the max. I love that thing.
Its a bulky saw more suited for a workshop. The PC is far better to move around and store I am on a different job site almost daily. Ridgid is also the same quality as PC maybe even worse with some tools.

So far my corded PC hammer drill has held up 100% and so has the table saw. This is with daily use. I am very pleased so far. Well see how these cordless tools do. Porter cable nail guns have always been good. I know the design has changed in recent years. I have a 16g/18g and stapler all PC and all perform flawless. Aside from the 16g They are also 10 or so years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
My local lumber yard is constantly having PC stuff returned. They stopped selling it.
Ridgid cordless stuff does not have the best rep either. Home depot returned section is over 50% ridgid. From their nail guns to battery drills.

Oh I also ordered the radio!

Last edited by Millworker; 01-27-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftmark

For what? Running screws into styrofoam?
My ryobi impact drives more screws than my ridgid. Ridgid 12v right angle beats both!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millworker View Post
Its a bulky saw more suited for a workshop. The PC is far better to move around and store I am on a different job site almost daily. Ridgid is also the same quality as PC maybe even worse with some tools.

So far my corded PC hammer drill has held up 100% and so has the table saw. This is with daily use. I am very pleased so far. Well see how these cordless tools do. Porter cable nail guns have always been good. I know the design has changed in recent years. I have a 16g/18g and stapler all PC and all perform flawless. Aside from the 16g They are also 10 or so years old.

Ridgid cordless stuff does not have the best rep either. Home depot returned section is over 50% ridgid. From their nail guns to battery drills.

Oh I also ordered the radio!

I think you got me wrong. I usually am not a Ridgid fan, but the table saw and worm drive (IMO) they did oh so good. Both tools are put together very well. The fence on the Ridgid? Smoooooooth. I really like it. Not trying to convince you just giving you my experience.

As far as cordless stuff, from what I hear (a lot) Ridgid just can't get it right. Batteries fail constantly, warranty is upheld but the service and returned product is not to be desired.

If you have purchased Porter Cable I hope they work for you because I don't wish to see a tradesman down and out on tools he depends on to buy more tools....er....make a living. I wish you the best of luck brrrrro!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #20

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Ryobi pacts are for builing bird houses they are useless from what i see

Advertisement