Oxy Tool Belt Suggestions - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Oxy Tool Belt Suggestions

Old 06-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #1

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 64

Oxy Tool Belt Suggestions

I'm a young, individual contractor who does all kinds of work. Mainly trim work, or handyman type work inside of a house. I have yet to frame houses, even though I want to, and plan to.

When I first started, money was tight, so I've been wearing a set of those inexpensive, imported leather bags.

However, now I can treat myself and buy a set of those oxy's that I've always wanted.

May I get some recommendations? Please?

LEATHER V.S. NYLON:

Obviously, nylon bags will always be lighter than leather bags. That being said, leather bags aren't even much heavier than nylon bags. So, I know that I want leather.

BELT V.S. BELT WITH SUSPENDERS

I tried suspenders on my current tool belt setup, and got irritated real quick with them bunching up my shirt, and pulling on my shoulders every time I reached above my head. So, I'm pretty certain I do not want a suspender setup. Unless - a testament could be provided to suspenders reducing cumulative fatigue?

I'm really tempted to keep it simple, and just buy The ProFramer 5080DB. Basically what every career carpenter wears. $280.00 off of Amazon.

Any frank, and honest opinions?

Last edited by Nashorn101; 06-09-2020 at 08:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nashorn101 For This Useful Post:
wallmaxx (06-09-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,410

Re: Oxy Tool Belt Suggestions

how much do you carry .the leather weighs more .what pockets do you like .
get diamond backs . they carry better .get the wide belt ,it distributes weight better .
totally my opinion from my exp . i carry everything i can .

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
how much do you carry .the leather weighs more .what pockets do you like .
get diamond backs . they carry better .get the wide belt ,it distributes weight better .
totally my opinion from my exp . i carry everything i can .
Indeed, the Diamondback Artisan is 4 lbs, 1/3 lighter than the Oxy 5080, at 5.4 lbs.

And, I specifically try to keep what I'm carrying to a minimum.

Have you tried Oxy's before? Do you obviously like your Diamondbacks more?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,287

I don't think that too many of us would recommend a full framer set for inside work.

That being said, I do own the Oxy set pictured and do recommend it. I just don't wear it all the time.

Over time, I've added the Oxy suspenders and the hip pads. The biggest improvement that I made was to add some sex bolts to keep the bags from sliding out of place every time I took the belt on or off.

I'm of the opinion that leather will breath better than nylon. A wide nylon belt would just leave me with a wide sweat stain around my mid section. Maybe Diamond back has something on the inside to prevent that.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichVT View Post
I don't think that too many of us would recommend a full framer set for inside work.

That being said, I do own the Oxy set pictured and do recommend it. I just don't wear it all the time.

Over time, I've added the Oxy suspenders and the hip pads. The biggest improvement that I made was to add some sex bolts to keep the bags from sliding out of place every time I took the belt on or off.

I'm of the opinion that leather will breath better than nylon. A wide nylon belt would just leave me with a wide sweat stain around my mid section. Maybe Diamond back has something on the inside to prevent that.
My current tool bags' are pretty similar to those Oxy's. And, indeed, you have to be careful with them inside a finished house.

That being said, I've tried a small-profile approach; Duluth pants with the detachable pockets. But found myself still throwing on my tool bags, throwing a hammer in the rear loop and just being mindful about where my bags swing.

If you bought Oxy's again, would you buy another style of Oxy's?

Last edited by Nashorn101; 06-09-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashorn101 View Post
Indeed, the Diamondback Artisan is 4 lbs, 1/3 lighter than the Oxy 5080, at 5.4 lbs.

And, I specifically try to keep what I'm carrying to a minimum.

Have you tried Oxy's before? Do you obviously like your Diamondbacks more?

used the leather oxi set before diamond back .had that wide sheep skin belt ,loved the smell .
i went to diamond back for the pockets -i wanted tons .i was finish and trim .wanted many tools at my hands .in large houses where having the tool in my belt meant i was not walking all over trying to find it or cutting quality of work because i did not have the right tool .
generally the bags size was not an issue for me . though hammer could be problem . The diamond backs for me meant no more suspenders .
I had issue with all the hassle dropping or adding coats/shirts as temp changed .suspenders were a problem .
they maybe over 20yrs now .showing wear and not as stiff as they were .
The Following User Says Thank You to JFM constr For This Useful Post:
Nashorn101 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
Design Build

Trade: well....that was unpleasant
Rewards Points: 3,252

I used the free leather DeWalt bags for 21 years. No issues. No suspenders. I just recently bought the 7-bag oxy framer......because I can.

Oxy leather is very nice.

Youíre making the right move investing in quality gear. Enjoy whichever kit you go with.
The Following User Says Thank You to wallmaxx For This Useful Post:
Nashorn101 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 07:47 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashorn101 View Post
If you bought Oxy's again, would you buy another style of Oxy's?

I would probably get the same style but unless they get stolen, I don't think they will ever need replacement.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichVT For This Useful Post:
Nashorn101 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 03:27 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,498

I always thought the pro trimmer bags were pretty sexy. Designed for interior work. Leather. Maybe just enough for what you do.
The Following User Says Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
Nashorn101 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 11:57 PM   #10
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10,164

I bought Oxy Framers Nylon. Took it down to my local cobbler and had him remove bags and put them on the other side. I'm left handed but the left handed bags that Oxy sells isn't what I wanted. So I went custom.

Mike.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
Pro

On my bags, the small pouch at belt level (where I keep my tape measure) was right in the middle making it hard to reach into the main pouch.

I took it off and moved it to one side using a speedy stitcher and some copper rivets to reattach it.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #12

Trade: Laborer for General Contractor

You might look into Atlas 46. They have really customizable gear.

I used to wear a cheap pair of framer bags with clip on suspenders all the time, but the bulk was always getting hung up on ladders or studs. I got sick of them when I started framing more. A more quality set of bags would probably be better. As for suspenders causing your bags to lift your shirt and hold your shoulders downs, I find it helps to have the belt of the tool bags riding kinda high (above the waist of my pants)

Now I wear an old single bag that I found at a thrift store (double pouch with cats paw holder and hammer holster that I don't use) on one side, and I added a little dewalt pencil holder that holds pencils tape measure, chisel, knife, mini stringline (30' and it clips onto a pencil pocket). Plus I added a CLC hammer loop to be on my right side which I really prefer.

It's light enough that I ditched suspenders (lightweight tools helped that too, stilleto 14oz framer, mini stringline, plastic speed square, soon to get stilleto cats paw). Any other tools that I need, I put in a duffle tool bag. I've been working on having a duffle for each task (framing, concrete, roofing, siding, trim, demo). One friend of mine has his duffle tool bag on wheels for extra convenience. But I manage to make do with the basics, and the lightweight and slim setup lets me be like a ninja.

I think when I finally invest in new bags, I'll go for Atlas 46 and make a setup similar to what I have now.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #13

Trade: General, Finish Carpentry, Cabinet Builder
Rewards Points: 128

I’ve been using the Occidental pro framer bags for a long time. Most the time I’m doing finish carpentry. They can get a little tight in closets and such, but I’m so used to them that I just naturally move my body a certain way or throw a hand in a pouch to keep it DP from swaying and I can slide through a 2-0 door without an issue, and that’s with my hammer hanginG on the side. Suspenders are definitely a must! I helped my brother in law frame for a bit and I took the suspenders off so I could take my shirt off in the summer and I instantly could feel it in my hips, hard to even walk after a few hours. I know for a fact the suspenders have helped me over the years. I also have the pouch with the phone holder attached to my suspenders, it looks a bit nerdy, but it really is handy, and it gives me a place for some extra tools. Leather is the way to go for sure. Try to find a different retailer other than Amazon to buy them from.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #14

Trade: Seamless Gutter Company
Rewards Points: 100

I am a hardcore Occidental man. My current setup (actually only the second set I've bought brand new) is the Finisher nylon bags with a leather belt and traditional hammer holster. Great setup. I work for a reno company. From demo to trim. I wear these bags for nearly everything and load them up according to the job at hand. The only time I ditch them is for a little CLC let her belt with a bunch of individual tool holders. I wear it for heavy demo (hammer, knife, big cat's paw) or when I'm installing hardware in a finished space.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Iíve been using the Occidental pro framer bags for a long time. Most the time Iím doing finish carpentry. They can get a little tight in closets and such, but Iím so used to them that I just naturally move my body a certain way or throw a hand in a pouch to keep it DP from swaying and I can slide through a 2-0 door without an issue, and thatís with my hammer hanginG on the side. Suspenders are definitely a must! I helped my brother in law frame for a bit and I took the suspenders off so I could take my shirt off in the summer and I instantly could feel it in my hips, hard to even walk after a few hours. I know for a fact the suspenders have helped me over the years. I also have the pouch with the phone holder attached to my suspenders, it looks a bit nerdy, but it really is handy, and it gives me a place for some extra tools. Leather is the way to go for sure. Try to find a different retailer other than Amazon to buy them from.
You know, I used to be a suspender guy. I still have the Occi Strongholds. They are awesome, but in the last few years they just hang in the van. My body changed and they make my back hurt now. I'm not saying OP shouldn't get some kind of suspenders, I feel every guy should give them a try with their bags. The pursuit of comfort should be a top priority to be as efficient on the job site as possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxfederle89 For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (06-30-2020), hoser (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:32 PM   #16

Trade: General, Finish Carpentry, Cabinet Builder
Rewards Points: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfederle89 View Post
You know, I used to be a suspender guy. I still have the Occi Strongholds. They are awesome, but in the last few years they just hang in the van. My body changed and they make my back hurt now. I'm not saying OP shouldn't get some kind of suspenders, I feel every guy should give them a try with their bags. The pursuit of comfort should be a top priority to be as efficient on the job site as possible.

I found that making sure they are adjusted properly makes a big difference. Regularly make sure that you have even weight on both shoulders and then make sure that your belt is tensioned properly. I find that having any of these things not properly adjusted can cause issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to hoser For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (06-30-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 01:24 AM   #17
Design Build

Trade: well....that was unpleasant
Rewards Points: 3,252

Being fiscally modest (cheap) I tried to integrate my old load bearing vest onto my spankin new leather occidentals.....uh.....FAIL.

1. Too hot
2. Too much nip friction

Ended up ordering the big sheepskin inner belt pad. That was awesome.....during the dry and cold. Rain or heat.....not so much.

Ordered the oxy suspenders. All is in balance now.

PS........the video says there are pre-drilled holes...............yeah............about that. Now I have their 2 holes and my 2 holes...............I always do that it seems.

Last edited by wallmaxx; 07-01-2020 at 01:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to wallmaxx For This Useful Post:
maxfederle89 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx View Post
Being fiscally modest (cheap) I tried to integrate my old load bearing vest onto my spankin new leather occidentals.....uh.....FAIL.

1. Too hot
2. Too much nip friction

Ended up ordering the big sheepskin inner belt pad. That was awesome.....during the dry and cold. Rain or heat.....not so much.

Ordered the oxy suspenders. All is in balance now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEeLQwK2hps

PS........the video says there are pre-drilled holes...............yeah............about that. Now I have their 2 holes and my 2 holes...............I always do that it seems.
I have the Occi inner belt too. I really like it but I wish the hammer was centered and the the two little straps on the front were spaced out a little more. But that thing is SUPER comfy. I'll probably get me some red leather from Tandy and redo the little straps a bit.

Advertisement