Optimum Bar Size - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Optimum Bar Size

Old 04-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 468

Optimum Bar Size

I need to get a chain saw with a long bar - at least 24". Is there an optimum bar size/engine displacement relationship? Brand recommendations?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Optimum Bar Size

Fixed your title for you. You're welcome

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,290

Sorry, don't know.... I clicked in here because I thought you were talking about Bra's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,558

I was raised on Husqvarna, but Stihl is a good product too, just depends on personal preference.

What are you gonna use it for?

The more saw you have behind the bar the easier it is on everything, and underpowered saw is gonna wear out on you faster. For a 24" bar I was say at least 75cc for hardwood. But bigger is better in my opinion, you use more gas, but you also cut faster.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
Pro

I have several 14" Echo's I use most of the time. But I have a number of very large trees for which I need a larger saw. I'll only use the larger saw when I have to because of the weight issue. My research so far seems to suggest that going above 24" gets into a whole new category of saw.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #6

Trade: Custom Builder/Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 33

Stihl publishes recommended bar lengths for all of their saws, as does husqvarna. My saw, the MS310 is listed at max 20" bar, but I also have a 25" bar that I use from time to time, mainly for hip bucking logs on the ground (don't have bend over as much). If I get in big wood, the 25" bar is a bit much for the 60cc engine. It rips through with the 20" however. So to answer your question, there is a range of "optimal" bar lengths for a given engine displacement (or more accurately power of the saw), but you can fudge in either direction. If you are not going to be in bigger timber all the time, don't waste your money or energy on a big saw that is meant to power a big bar ALL the time. Buy your saw with the bulk of your cutting in mind. I tend to err on the side of more powerful, cause it's faster, even if it is a bit heavier. FYI, the stihl pro saws are more powerful for their displacement and weight, and run hotter, which is something to consider as well. Hope this helps.

I read your last post, and you could get the stihl 390 and have plenty of power to run the 25" bar. Not a massive saw, but certainly bigger than the farmboss or bigger firewood saws. If you really want performance, the ms441 is incredible to work with for felling...just powers through.

Last edited by akrenovate; 04-22-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 1,168

about 42" tall, eight feet long, about 2' wide, cooler underneath.
oops, wrong kinda bar.............
16" seems to be good for most things I do. If I was going to be in the woods cutting firewood trees down I would probably go for an 18"-20" bar though.
To answer your question, yes, the longer the bar the more power it takes to run it. You are going to need some serious powah!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Pro

I use a 20" bar for firewood just because it saves a little bending over. I have used it on a few 30" hard maple logs with my 350 and it did a good job, not made to do it every day though.

How big are the trees you need done? If you don't want to spring for a Pro saw the 350/450, 455, and 460 will all handle a 20" bar and run really well. The 455 puts out about the same power as the 350 though and is heavier, that's why I opted for the smaller one.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Pro

Of the ones I need to take down, I measured the larger ones at 160"-165" in circumference (at about four feet from the ground) which translates to 50"-53" diameter.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,062

Partial to Stihl.

You're going to need a heck of a lot more bar than 24" to safely fall a tree that size.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
Pro

I'll get them down with a large track loader. Then I'll need to cut them up for burning. I figure the diameter where I need to cut is 40"-42".
Old 04-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,450

Thats some big trees! I am partial to Stihl as well, have an MS460 with a 24" bar but I think it can up to 36". This thing with a skip chain goes through anything pretty darn quick.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Trade work for money.
Rewards Points: 514

I'm a stihl fan myself. My dad always had stihl when i was growing up, never missed a beat.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Pro

With trees that big it depends on how much you want to work at them to block it up.

I would look for a saw that will take a massive bar with a skip chain. I almost bought an older 390xp awhile back, guy wanted 400 for it, I'm sad I didn't get it. You could put a big enough bar on it to block those trees in one cut (wouldn't want to buy the bar or chain for it though)
Old 04-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Fire Suppression Equipment Sales & Service
Rewards Points: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
Sorry, don't know.... I clicked in here because I thought you were talking about Bra's...
I clicked here because I was thinking beer.

Advertisement