Not Terribly Impressed With Makita's Customer Service - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Not Terribly Impressed With Makita's Customer Service

Old 06-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Jeff

Trade: master turd burglar
Rewards Points: 502

Not Terribly Impressed With Makita's Customer Service

Bought LS1216 miter saw last may. Only really used it around the house when i was doing my addition and remodel, took it on 5 jobs maybe when our dewalt saw was tied up. Last month i noticed the head wouldn't return to the upright position without physically moving it. Blew any dust out, checked to see if the spring was still intact all fine. Pulled the guard and checked the arm that goes back to the pivot point made sure it was working free seems fine.

Call up makita monday the guy on the phone seemed very uniterested in my problem asked for my zip. Gave him my zip, shows no service centers for me. So i start rattling off other larger cities im near to see if that pulls anything up. City names mean jack, i guess you need a zip code. Finally he finds a list and emails it to me. they're all in new jersey, new york city area.

Call one of the numbers and describe my problem all the while he seems to have the i could care less attitude. I tell him i have the receipt its dated may 22 2011, it was june 4th when i called. Sorry your not under warranty expired. I'm like its 12 days past on a barely used saw. Sorry no go. So i ask what i should expect to pay like do they have a flat fee, scaling fee? Didnt really know, probably 25 shipping maybe 60-100 to fix. Asked him if this was a common problem anything i could try and i could almost see the shrug of the shoulders through the phone.

I hung up disgusted. Maybe i should call makita itself back and explain my situation i dunno. We have an old 10" makita that is atleast 20 years old never had a problem. 2 12" dewalts that get abused never had a problem. So has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas what else i could try before i ship it 5 hours away? And no i cant afford festool right now....

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

Re: Not Terribly Impressed With Makita's Customer Service

I had the same prob with the ls1016 , it was over the warranty period , I brought it to the Dayton nj location they fixed it within a few days and no charge I think it's a 3 yr warranty on that saw , exit 8a on nj turnpike

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Five Star For This Useful Post:
TimNJ (06-09-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

The only tools that have the 3 year warrenty I think are the cordless range. The power tools all have 1 year as far as I know. I have had problems like this before with some brands. I won't say no names but I ended up buying the same tool and sending the faulty one back in the new box. They were big and yellow, put out light and wobble. Sent the 2 back they wouldn't fix and they couldn't do anything about it. Funny thing was I told them I was going to do this if they didn't help me out and fix them but they said it would be impossible because they keep records of all the serial numbers for each customer . They could have got a great review from me but I ended up posting negative reviews but still got my stuff changed out.

Again people beware of the yellow light that wobbles customer service. They won't ever get a recommendation from me again.
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Jeff

Problem i have is closest service center is 3 plus hours away. Joys of living in nowhereville.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkfox624 For This Useful Post:
CanningCustom (06-08-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfox624 View Post
Problem i have is closest service center is 3 plus hours away. Joys of living in nowhereville.
I hate to see what these places are like. I thought I lived out in the sticks but clearly not lol. I have about 4 makita dealers within 5 min drive. Same you can't get a rep as they always much more help than the call centers.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
I hate to see what these places are like. I thought I lived out in the sticks but clearly not lol. I have about 4 makita dealers within 5 min drive. Same you can't get a rep as they always much more help than the call centers.
I could always try the lumber yard even though they dont carry makita. I have a pretty good relationship with everyone there and they might be able to hook me up with someone.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfox624 View Post
I could always try the lumber yard even though they dont carry makita. I have a pretty good relationship with everyone there and they might be able to hook me up with someone.
This is what we do sometimes.

The lumber yard has the hook up in the big city. They head down every Tuesday and Thursday. They will take your tool down, have it fixed and pick it up when the repair shop is done.

Being that we are loyal customers the lumber yard does not charge us.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

If it's out of warranty, it's not their fault.

With that said, that's why I like my contact with Bosch. I don't worry about issues. I just call him up and he takes it in for me.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
If it's out of warranty, it's not their fault.

With that said, that's why I like my contact with Bosch. I don't worry about issues. I just call him up and he takes it in for me.
So be it but it was their total lack of giving 2 chits that really burned my ass. But i guess thats the way everything is anymore. Its like they could care less if i could get help solving my problem.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 636

Factory Service Centers are the way to go. They can send you a free shipping label and take a look at the saw. Call a factory service center.

Authorized Service Centers are just companies that choose to work on tools and sometimes have no customer service skills.

Makita Factory Service Centers near Bradford, PA
1450 Feehanville Dr.
Mt. Prospect, IL 60056 1-800-462-5482 Phone

1075 Cranbury - South River Rd. Suite 3
Jamesburg, NJ 08831 1-800-462-5482 Phone
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #11

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 20

Try spraying wd-40 into the pivot point for the head. I have an older 10"makita sliding miter saw and this has happened at least twice.

I never figured out what was causing it to seize up like that though.

Advertisement