New Saw! - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

New Saw!

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
Pro
 
key-ok's Avatar
 
Trade: Construction
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Berwick, Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 29

New Saw!


I just got A new milwaukee compound miter saw (12inch). I havent tried it on a job yet. Im just wondering if anyone else uses one and what they think of it.

$699+tax came with free stand and free jobsite radio.

I've got alot of other milwaukee tools and love the durability and quality

Last edited by key-ok; 02-16-2013 at 09:34 AM.
key-ok is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Geometrist

 
Warren's Avatar
 
Trade: framing/remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,081
Rewards Points: 355

Re: New Saw!


I picked up the 12 inch Milwaukee slide on clearance for $299 a couple years ago It is heavy, but the digital read scale does come in handy.

Advertisement

__________________
I'd love to replace all the dumbness in this room but the budget is tight and the stupidity is plentiful!

Easy Gibson
Warren is online now  
Old 02-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Pro
 
RobertCDF's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom deck builder
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 9,177
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: New Saw!


I had it too for awhile, I've since traded it off for some other tools, its a nice saw (I also bought it at the $299 clearance price)
RobertCDF is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Nail-Bender
 
Brutus's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Posts: 4,604
Rewards Points: 2,020

Re: New Saw!


I don't know about the saw, but, hello from Halifax!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGen
If you haven't bled while working once in your life, you haven't worked!
Brutus is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Pro
 
key-ok's Avatar
 
Trade: Construction
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Berwick, Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 29

Re: New Saw!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
I don't know about the saw, but, hello from Halifax!
Hello, from the Annapolis Valley!
key-ok is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Pro
 
key-ok's Avatar
 
Trade: Construction
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Berwick, Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 29

Re: New Saw!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I picked up the 12 inch Milwaukee slide on clearance for $299 a couple years ago It is heavy, but the digital read scale does come in handy.
Only thing im not really liking is the fact that the right side of the fence doesnt slide out like the left.

$299?!? wow, wish i would of got that deal!
key-ok is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to key-ok For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (02-18-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Pro
 
CITY DECKS INC's Avatar
 
Trade: DECK BUILDER. RESIDENTIAL. COMMERCIAL
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PHILADELPHIA PA
Posts: 2,923
Rewards Points: 4,608

Re: New Saw!


Quote:
Originally Posted by key-ok View Post
I just got A new milwaukee compound miter saw (12inch). I havent tried it on a job yet. Im just wondering if anyone else uses one and what they think of it.

$699+tax came with free stand and free jobsite radio.

I've got alot of other milwaukee tools and love the durability and quality
i had one. excellent saw across the board including dust collection.I had to get rid of it and it was just too big and heavy for day to day in/out of houses etc... we used to major reno's where it be on a job for 2-8months. then economy went to hell and we changed with it by doing 3-4 large jobs a year to 40-50 jobs per yr. so we have kapex and older 10" makita's slider. both are super light, very compact and very easy to get in/out up/down stairs.
CITY DECKS INC is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Pro
 
Rustbucket's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodel/Deck
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 1,861
Rewards Points: 1,748

Re: New Saw!


Quote:
Originally Posted by key-ok

Only thing im not really liking is the fact that the right side of the fence doesnt slide out like the left.

$299?!? wow, wish i would of got that deal!
Get out a die grinder and grind out the little part of the webbing on the back of the fence that keeps it from sliding. I think it was a patent issue that kept them from doing it at the factory. At least they made it easy to modify.
Rustbucket is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustbucket For This Useful Post:
key-ok (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Pro
 
key-ok's Avatar
 
Trade: Construction
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Berwick, Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 29

Re: New Saw!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbucket View Post
Get out a die grinder and grind out the little part of the webbing on the back of the fence that keeps it from sliding. I think it was a patent issue that kept them from doing it at the factory. At least they made it easy to modify.
That's actually a really good idea, I never even thought of that.
key-ok is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Pro
 
key-ok's Avatar
 
Trade: Construction
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Berwick, Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 29

Re: New Saw!


Quote:
Originally Posted by CITY DECKS INC View Post
i had one. excellent saw across the board including dust collection.I had to get rid of it and it was just too big and heavy for day to day in/out of houses etc... we used to major reno's where it be on a job for 2-8months. then economy went to hell and we changed with it by doing 3-4 large jobs a year to 40-50 jobs per yr. so we have kapex and older 10" makita's slider. both are super light, very compact and very easy to get in/out up/down stairs.
We've been using a 10" makita for the last few years, no complaints with that saw. Its like 8 years old and still going strong. Only someone was using it (i dont know what they did to it) and bent the fence some how. Now its no good for finish work. I think we'll just keep it around for framing and stuff.
key-ok is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
Pro
 
nickko's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: western pa
Posts: 367
Rewards Points: 785

Re: New Saw!


i bought one at home depot a couple years ago when they were clearancing them out . for me it is to big to haul around to the job i use a 81/2" hitachi slide or just a plain old dewalt 10" miter saw.

i havn the milwaukee permanetly set up in my shop mostly for cutting rough lumber to length. the digital read out is off when i turn the saw to the left, found that out the hard way. i will have to read the book someday and see if that can be corrected.
nicko
__________________
"Quality work for those who know the difference"
nickko is online now  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
Pro
 
neill's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 165
Rewards Points: 176

Re: New Saw!


Quote:
Originally Posted by key-ok View Post
Only thing im not really liking is the fact that the right side of the fence doesnt slide out like the left.

$299?!? wow, wish i would of got that deal!
you can file down the little stop so it will slide out.

i think it's a great saw. just stupid heavy. and blades are expensive.
neill is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
Member
 
on_the_level's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling, outdoor living
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Delaware/Maryland Beaches
Posts: 76
Rewards Points: 83

Re: New Saw!


What's everyone's opinion on the 12" sliding mskita previous model the 1214?
on_the_level is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
Wood Craftsman
 
PrestigeR&D's Avatar
 
Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 7,324
Rewards Points: 4,642
Arrow

Re: New Saw!


You know something ,....and I don't mean to sound crass,....

But this is what it looks like on my end,.,,


Milwalkie miter saw,miter saw oppinions, what miter saw, Festool madness, Bosch miter saw , Makita miter madness,why is my miter saw so heavy, what is this button for, why do I smell smoke,...what is the best miter saw out there, what - $1300.00 for a miter saw, these bearings suck!, what's the deal Witt the noise in my slider, my indents are off...etc,etc,etc, "x" 1000 posts.......

And the number one post........


"what miter saw is the best"

I realize you guys like to ping off what's out there,,,,

But my god,,,

Did you ever use that search button....

You would be amazed at what's out there...here..on CT...



Best of luck with whatever it is you get....


I don't get to excited about what's out there,....

Just saying,,,,,,

They have us on buying cycles,...marketing anylysts figure this stuff out.....marketed and delivered to your local store for you to desifer the risk and reward at the moment you load your eyes on it....


Don't fall in love with it,.....it's purely lust....and a very short relationship........



B,

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 02-18-2013 at 08:10 PM.
PrestigeR&D is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrestigeR&D For This Useful Post:
blackte (02-18-2013), tgeb (02-18-2013), Tom M (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
Pro
 
renov8r's Avatar
 
Trade: Design-Build Renovator
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 498
Rewards Points: 250

Re: New Saw!


Nice choice for saw! I've seen it on display at HD and I love the set up of it. Especially the stand. Been debating purchasing one, but I have 2 saws already, but no slider yet.
renov8r is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
Pro
 
CITY DECKS INC's Avatar
 
Trade: DECK BUILDER. RESIDENTIAL. COMMERCIAL
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PHILADELPHIA PA
Posts: 2,923
Rewards Points: 4,608

Re: New Saw!


Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeR&D View Post
You know something ,....and I don't mean to sound crass,....

But this is what it looks like on my end,.,,


Milwalkie miter saw,miter saw oppinions, what miter saw, Festool madness, Bosch miter saw , Makita miter madness,why is my miter saw so heavy, what is this button for, why do I smell smoke,...what is the best miter saw out there, what - $1300.00 for a miter saw, these bearings suck!, what's the deal Witt the noise in my slider, my indents are off...etc,etc,etc, "x" 1000 posts.......

And the number one post........
your doing it again......

"what miter saw is the best"

I realize you guys like to ping off what's out there,,,,

But my god,,,

Did you ever use that search button....

You would be amazed at what's out there...here..on CT...



Best of luck with whatever it is you get....


I don't get to excited about what's out there,....

Just saying,,,,,,

They have us on buying cycles,...marketing anylysts figure this stuff out.....marketed and delivered to your local store for you to desifer the risk and reward at the moment you load your eyes on it....


Don't fall in love with it,.....it's purely lust....and a very short relationship........



B,
dude...your doing it again
CITY DECKS INC is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
Wood Craftsman
 
PrestigeR&D's Avatar
 
Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 7,324
Rewards Points: 4,642
Arrow

Re: New Saw!


Yep,...

I know, ........

I really am sorry,....


I can not tell you how many times I come on here and there is a new thread about the very same saw....no offense to the OP....



It builds up,.....

I was a lot more polite about it this time.........


B,

Advertisement

PrestigeR&D is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?