New Cordless Finish Guns - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

New Cordless Finish Guns

Old 01-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 266

New Cordless Finish Guns

Have you guys seen Senco's new tools? They are new cordless. All battery powered which uses nitrogen to drive the nail. The nitrogen is re-compressed over and over. What do you think. Fine home Building has a quick spot on it.

I can't post links yet so do a google or youtube search. "Senco Fusion"

Would you buy one?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 702

Re: New Cordless Finish Guns

I really dont know, I just bought a Bostitch Trim Air Compressor for my Dewalt finish nailer and Bostitch brad nailer, so I may never own a cordless finish nailer. What a cordless finish nailer cost you can buy a small compressor and finish nailer for the price they is going to you.

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

i saw the blog on these guns of fhb a month or so ago. if memory serves correct senco is still tweaking them so they are keeping the technology extremly quit so that other manufacturers cant jump on the bandwagon before they come out
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

Very interesting, thanks for the info... I'll need to get a closer look and hopefully try them out first, but if they work as well as advertised I'll probably get both the 15 ga and 18 ga. It's good to see Senco making a comeback!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Looks like they are using nitrogen gas rams like some air rifles have in them. They are basicly using the gas ram as a enegry store for each shot then after the shot the motor resets the gas ram ready for the next shot. Nothing new as in tech being used but new for a nail gun.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Interesting. Wonder if they can do this with framers?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
Interesting. Wonder if they can do this with framers?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
No way will that produce enough power to drive a spike. Does anybody remember the "Bammer" that porter cable made? I predict that this will end up the same way. I think we have come to a serious bump in the road with cordless tools. We know they have some serious limitations that the haven't been able to overcome in 25 years.
I have seen the future and it is corded.

Easy Gibson
Old 01-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 266

Too negative...
Of course they won't work. Its ridiculous, just like those guns using internal combustion like a mini engine? Or like those silly ones with a spinning flywheel and a clutch?
Just kidding of course, but I'm sure the Paslode Impulse and DeWalt cordless sounded stupid at the time of release. Granted they have disadvantages , but they are great tools.
Maybe this will be a little better than both, doesn't mean it has to replace air nailers for framing houses.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
Finishing Carpenter

Trade: finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 720

I had the chance today to use the new senco fusion 15 gauge cordless nailer. Nice gun! I think I can get used to the balance, not a sweet as my air powered hitachi, but Odd hearing that "rewind" sound it makes, but it slams the nails in just fine. Interesting jamb clearing feature, the magazine comes off of the gun with a lever - quick! I forgot to ask the guy if it also has the anti-dry fire feature.

$550!!!! and will not be avail. till mid July or August in my area. I think its a nice gun but at $550? its $200 bucks high.

maybe if I win the lottery tonight LOL

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca
Old 06-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #10

Trade: Kitchen and Bath remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
No way will that produce enough power to drive a spike. Does anybody remember the "Bammer" that porter cable made? I predict that this will end up the same way. I think we have come to a serious bump in the road with cordless tools. We know they have some serious limitations that the haven't been able to overcome in 25 years.
Hey Warren I can picture your ancestors at Kitty Hawk, NC in 1903 shouting "if man were meant to fly, he'd have wings".
Old 06-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyman View Post
Hey Warren I can picture your ancestors at Kitty Hawk, NC in 1903 shouting "if man were meant to fly, he'd have wings".
Old 06-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 686

anyone try the new Bostitch cordless nailers yet?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

IMO, Paslode has and will lead the pack in cordless technology. I know people have a notion that the fumes are an issue on interior work. I installed over 150' of crown in this house, with an Impulse gun. 3/4 of the way through, the homeowner walks in. I asked him if the fumes were a problem. He replied "What fumes?"
Attached Thumbnails
New cordless finish guns-002.jpg   New cordless finish guns-004.jpg   New cordless finish guns-006.jpg  

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Last edited by loneframer; 06-05-2010 at 07:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to loneframer For This Useful Post:
dkillianjr (06-05-2010)
Old 06-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 363

Quote:
Trust me Bud, I am all about innovation. I love new technology and come up with great ideas all the time. Are they all feasible? Of course not, but that never stops me from thinking up new ones. I have been around the block a few times and had my hopes dashed when new technologies did not come through. I will be glad to be wrong on this one.

Easy Gibson
Old 06-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #15

Trade: Interior Trim Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

I got to try one out at the wood working show recently. Our local Senco dealer had a booth there. Not a bad gun at all, when I was done using it I asked when they thought they might have the driver for my 6 shooter that the've had over a month.........If you use a tool on a regular basis it will break or need service, I'm not interested in paying that much for a tool to sit on their shelf waiting for parts, and Senco is out of parts, and there won't be any after market parts for these guns for quite some time, if ever.
Off original subject, but a couple months ago I purchased 2 Ridgid cordless finish guns. I'm not a huge Ridgid fan but have to say they work great.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Those older Senco battery guns were almost as bad as the PC. I would wait to see haw this plays out. the gas technoligy is very good now with the addition of lighter weight better performing LiI batteries. This is a perfect application for such a battery as it has low current demands and will stay charged a long time and weighs much less The 3.6v batts are not as expensive either.
My newer Hitachi [no ugly alien green ,made in Taiwan]15gaDA style w. the Paslode yellow small can's and Li I batt. that holds the chg. for months and will fire 1k or more on a single chg. It better than my Impulse gun. Very light weight, no issues. The battery lasts 10 times the Paslode NiCd that will go dead in 1 mo. even if not used[ I hardly use it now that I have the Hitachi.]. One of the best buys I have ever made. Came w. a free Li screwdriver and 3rd battery. Got it from Reconditionedsales.com[great people], bought a recon. but it was actually just a new/repackage due to the added screwdriver deal I heard, they had open them to put them in the cases. Looking to add a 18ga too.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #17
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
IMO, Paslode has and will lead the pack in cordless technology. I know people have a notion that the fumes are an issue on interior work. I installed over 150' of crown in this house, with an Impulse gun. 3/4 of the way through, the homeowner walks in. I asked him if the fumes were a problem. He replied "What fumes?"
I am 100% with you on this.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #18
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Quote:
What's interesting is, airplanes still fall from the sky on occasion. There have been many design flaws along the way as well.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 06-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #19
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

For nice finished houses that want to add trim like lone just showed, I use my paslode 16 or 18 ga. nailers. The last thing I need is a hose being pulled through a house. someone stepping on it, falling etc. or worse, it pulling something over and breaking valuables.

for new work, air all the way.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #20
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ View Post
For nice finished houses that want to add trim like lone just showed, I use my paslode 16 or 18 ga. nailers. The last thing I need is a hose being pulled through a house. someone stepping on it, falling etc. or worse, it pulling something over and breaking valuables.

for new work, air all the way.

True, but the answer is to have them remove said items from the work area prior to your start date...

Advertisement