Most Accurate 12" Dual Compound Non Slider Miter Saw? - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Most Accurate 12" Dual Compound Non Slider Miter Saw?

Old 07-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
Perfectionist

Trade: Custom Carpentry
Rewards Points: 764

Most Accurate 12" Dual Compound Non Slider Miter Saw?

I have been using a DeWalt DW716 for a few years now. At first I found it to be a accurate durable saw, now I'm have trouble making accurate cuts when cutting tall material (like 5 1/2" baseboard) in the vertical position. I do not like to cut base flat! Here is what it does when cutting tall base vertically... with the miter scale locked in at 0 and the bevel set to 0 and adjusted to cut a perfect 90 against the stop in the vertical position. Now cut down through the base and the saw cuts perfectly square in the vertical, (checked off the bottom of the base) now swing the miter table to 45 either left or right without touching the bevel setting and chop down through the base (like your going to cope the profile) once again check for square off the bottom of the base along this profile and it's off by a heavy 16th. I cannot get this saw adjusted to cut perfectly square ( vertically) at both miter settings. Anyone else have this trouble?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,738

Re: Most Accurate 12" Dual Compound Non Slider Miter Saw?

Sounds like the top of the fences nearest the blade have warped back towards the saw arm. There is a lot of pressure exerted there when cutting in position.

I had the same problem with both the 716 and an old Hitachi C15. The fix on the Hitachi was to knock it back with a mallet. I tried the same with the DeWalt and cracked the fence. The replacement is fine and if I remember right cost around $30. You could also try foil tape shims in the track the fences run in combination with a few judiciously placed taps with a rubber mallet.

It's a good saw. Mine is around 10 years old and is off a bit less than .002 at 90 both horizontal and vertical and a bit less at both right and left miters. It's the only one in that class of saw that with a cutting capacity that tall.

You may have already read it but this is the best article I've read on miter saw tune up. The 716 is covered in it.

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2010/...r-saw-tune-up/

Advertisement

Last edited by Justin Huisenga; 07-06-2015 at 10:13 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
MF Custom (07-07-2015), Tom Struble (07-07-2015), Xtrememtnbiker (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
Perfectionist

Trade: Custom Carpentry
Rewards Points: 764

Thanks Justin, I'll have a closer look at it today and get back here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

If I understand you correctly, you may have a problem with backlash which could be due to wear or looseness, see
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

How do check the flatness of a straightedge or the accuracy of a square? Some of these gaps are so small that they might be getting close to the limit of contractor tool accuracy when the tool is new, at room temperature, etc., etc..

Last edited by GettingBy; 07-07-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingBy View Post
If I understand you correctly, you may have a problem with backlash which could be due to wear or looseness, see
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

How do check the flatness of a straightedge or the accuracy of a square? Some of these gaps are so small that they might be getting close to the limit of contractor tool accuracy when the tool is new, at room temperature, etc., etc..
You can check a straightedge by pulling a wire tight and putting the straight edge up to it or lay it on edge on a known flat surface and shine a light behind it. To check a square put it on a straight edge and make a mark then flip it and see if the edge lines up with your mark. The easiest way is to have a known accurate "master" square and check it off that.

I have a Starret machinist's straight edge and an Incra guaranteed square. They are both treated carefully and I use them to check other squares or straight edges.

I don't use a square when tuning up a miter saw except as a rough gauge to get me close. Everything gets measured with calipers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
GettingBy (07-08-2015)