Miter Saws Accuracy: Slider Vs. Non-Slider - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Miter Saws Accuracy: Slider Vs. Non-Slider

Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling & Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 10

Miter Saws Accuracy: Slider Vs. Non-Slider

Thinking of picking up a Makita 10" Miter Dual Slider LS1013FL for my trim work & siding jobs. My local HD got it for $399 on sale an Makita has always made a great product.

I've heard some of the finish guys say they like the non-sliders better because they can get a more accurate cut.

Wider cutting capacity is good with a slider, but not at the expense of loosing accuracy (if this is true).

Penny for your thoughts.

Brad

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 532

Re: Miter Saws Accuracy: Slider Vs. Non-Slider

I use a hitachi 10" slider which seems to be about the same as the makita slider, and i love it. Very smooth operating and light compared to other sliders like the dewalt.

Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
ContractorTalk Flunkie

Trade: Remodeling and Renovation Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I've had the 'kita 10" scms for close to 2 years, had to re-adjust it a couple times, no big deal, it gets loaded and unloaded from the truck quite often. I have found it to be very accurate. You can use it as non sliding by locking the slide. My only complaint is the miter scale location, other than that, Very dependable , hard working saw.

Where's my penny?
http://remodelingncarolina.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

I just bought the 10" makita slider yesterday... I used it today for the first time and I love it! thing was dead on out of the box and it feels so stable.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor

I have the 12" Makita slider, but honestly my Dewalt 12" compound is my "main" saw. I have no complaints about the accuracy of the Makita, just that it weighs only slightly less then a small moose. Unless you are dealing with large mouldings that are beyond the capacity of the regular compound miters, I have never seen the fascination of the cumbersome sliders.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:48 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

I was considering the 12" dewalt with the back fence. I need to be able to cut decking at 45* angles some of the decking is 6 1/4" But I have heard so many good things about the makita and it is only 2 lbs hevier than the dewalt. I wanted the 10" for cheaper blades and less wobble. I think it is about the same cut capacity as the 12" dewalt with back fence. Either way would be a great way to go.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

I'll ditto what robert said, makita 10scms is a great great saw. Used my papaws all summer, then ended up buying a 12 bosch scms(which is going back by the way), musta got caught up in all the hype haha. Once I get rid of the bosch I'll be pickin up a 10" makita. Some say its only a 10, I say if you need to cut more than it will cut then get your circular saw out.
Yes sometimes saws need to be adjusted no big deal, its a machine. However the bad ones are so bad that they can't be adjusted, meaning there isn't enough adjustment in them to zero the miters/bevels. This is why the bosch is going back......just my 2 cents--JP
Old 11-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

been trimming for 30 years. Own and used Hitachi and Dewalt sliders. Nothing beats my old Delta fixed miter saws.. I have a great sharpening service(million dollar machine) which combined with saw creates pefect cuts.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 636

The newer Makita's are lighter than they used to be. I'll be the 4th to recommend the Makita for a sliding saw.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhelps View Post
I'll ditto what robert said, makita 10scms is a great great saw. Used my papaws all summer, then ended up buying a 12 bosch scms(which is going back by the way), musta got caught up in all the hype haha. Once I get rid of the bosch I'll be pickin up a 10" makita. Some say its only a 10, I say if you need to cut more than it will cut then get your circular saw out.
Yes sometimes saws need to be adjusted no big deal, its a machine. However the bad ones are so bad that they can't be adjusted, meaning there isn't enough adjustment in them to zero the miters/bevels. This is why the bosch is going back......just my 2 cents--JP

I've used both the Makita and the Bosch extensively and prefer the Bosch myself, with all the up-front controls.

The Makita really is a great saw too.

Sounds like you just got a bad apple, - - my Bosch 4412 has worked great for me for years now.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

I have been using the 10" scms for over 5 years. works great never had to adjust yet. I check it often as I feel riding in the trailer all it's life would vibrate something loose but nothing yet. Also customer service is outstanding. had to replace the lock down pin. Went on line they had parts breakdown and ordered it by their number and was in my hands in 3 days.

" Of course I don't look busy, I did it right the first time "
Old 11-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
I've used both the Makita and the Bosch extensively and prefer the Bosch myself, with all the up-front controls.

The Makita really is a great saw too.

Sounds like you just got a bad apple, - - my Bosch 4412 has worked great for me for years now.

Well I worked on the bevel adjust and got it to zero properly, but theres still not enough adjustment in the fence(bosch). However I do like the saw(upfront controls are sweet indeed), and am going to try another one. Since I ordered from amazon, a swap is pretty easy. You're probably right about it being a bad apple.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 AM   #13

I was out shopping tonight and came across the Hitachi SCMS with LCD readout for the miter/bevel readings. Anyone ever use one of those?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:09 AM   #14
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustball View Post
I was out shopping tonight and came across the Hitachi SCMS with LCD readout for the miter/bevel readings. Anyone ever use one of those?
I have one, but my opinion would not count for much, I use it strictly for stuff at my house.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Obviously the more moving parts, the greater chance for variance. Each part requires a tolerance to move.

Albert Einstein
Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

I also have the Makita. It is part of a A&E Design stand with 2 8' tables. One of the stands has the flip stop. Very accurate. Total cost for saw & stand? Around $1200
Gary Katz sold me on the stand

Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #17
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCarpentry View Post
I also have the Makita. It is part of a A&E Design stand with 2 8' tables. One of the stands has the flip stop. Very accurate. Total cost for saw & stand? Around $1200
Gary Katz sold me on the stand

If Gary Katz endorses a product then nothing else needs to be said on the topic. Does he use the Makita saw or just the table?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #18
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

I have a DeWalt 12" slider and it works great, but I'm looking at the Hitachi 10" slider. I have a 10" Hitachi compound miter saw that is nice and light, I use this a lot on smaller jobs. My only complaint with the DeWalt is its size.

Advertisement