Milwaukee FUEL - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Milwaukee FUEL

Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Custom Metal Fabrication/Residential Construction
Rewards Points: 154

Milwaukee FUEL

Anyone have the new milwaukee fuel drill/impact? Any thoughts? Looks like this is the set Im going to go with. Have plenty of brutal work to put it through the next 6 months, so it will have its chance to perform right out of the box. But the $400 price tag is a bit steep if I hear start hearing a negative response lol. So anybody have experience with it, and how do the batteries look like they will hold out? Thanks

Im considering the m18 combo as well, but thats only because the Fuel combo is sold out most places I have been looking, even my regular online sites

Last edited by Kastoria; 03-11-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Manager/Diplomat/Builder

Trade: Lead Carpenter
Rewards Points: 392

Re: Milwaukee FUEL

I've had the impact and hammer drill for a week and a half. Lumber yard and a great discount deal if you traded in your old stuff. I ended up with the impact, hammer drill, two chargers and 4 batteries for $400. I havn't used them a ton, but power is awesome from both tools and battery life seems great too. I spent half a day installing trex decking, that used 1/2 a full battery according to the charge indicator. I hung about 500 sq ft of Sheetrock last week, only used 3/4 of one battery, those are both on the impact. I used the hammer drill and a mixing paddle for my cover coats on the rock, it hardly bogged down at all, way better then my old Makita. My preference is a corded drill for mixing mud, but maybe now I won't worry about carrying one unless I have a ton of mud to spread. So far I am a fan!

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darthdude For This Useful Post:
Kastoria (03-12-2013), mtngant (10-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Windwash

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 148

I don't know anything about the Milwaukee "fuel" impact but I think you'll like the Makita if that is the route you choose and they are quite a bit less than $400.00.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Windwash For This Useful Post:
CrpntrFrk (03-11-2013), Dirtywhiteboy (03-14-2013), Kastoria (03-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Lemonade Salesman

Trade: Renovation and Concrete Renovation
Rewards Points: 418

They're my every day work horses. We have several of the impacts. One hammerdrill. I actually traded a brushless makita in on one of them.
Kastoria (03-12-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

Makita has proven itself over and over. It batteries have not changed in years (over 6 IIRC). That means they got something right and they just keep on improving on that system.

Another I would recommend is Bosch. Although I have more Makita impacts and drills the Bosch set is my favorite. Very smooth and powerful.

In the end the truth is.......it's all a gamble really. Go with what ever you want. If the Milwuakee feels good..... get it. Even brands that I like or have liked I have gotten duds before.
Kastoria (03-12-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Manager/Diplomat/Builder

Trade: Lead Carpenter
Rewards Points: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
Makita has proven itself over and over. It batteries have not changed in years (over 6 IIRC). That means they got something right and they just keep on improving on that system.

Another I would recommend is Bosch. Although I have more Makita impacts and drills the Bosch set is my favorite. Very smooth and powerful.

In the end the truth is.......it's all a gamble really. Go with what ever you want. If the Milwuakee feels good..... get it. Even brands that I like or have liked I have gotten duds before.
Lot of truth here, I loved my old Makitas, but after 4 years the batteries were very, very shot. With new batteries costing almost as new combo kits I decided to try an "upgrade". Hope it all pays out, the FUEL tools are not cheap, but seem very well designed and built.
The Following User Says Thank You to darthdude For This Useful Post:
Kastoria (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Pro

Ive always been a Hitachi user, at least for the last 7-8 years. Tools are getting pretty beat up now and even though they have their own brushless set, the batteries are not the same style so I get screwed (I will never understand having the exact same battery technology and changing the way it mounts into the drill, just to screw you!). The amazing thing is my original hitachi batteries still charge and get used daily, but I'll get over it. You guys are right there are so many companies and so many different drills now of days that even the best of the best may only last you a week if you get a dud. Thanks for all the info guys, makes a difference. Im gonna give them a shot, like I said there is plenty of work for them immediately so they are either gonna last or blow up lol...thanks.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: REMODELING
Rewards Points: 277

I've had the m18 kit for 2+ years, a couple of issues, but their warranty has worked so far. Since I bought it they dropped there battery warranty to 2 years instead of 3. The brushless impact is nice, the power selector is in a poor place, I accidentally change the torque setting more than I adjust it for my use, but plenty of power. A benefit to Milwaukee is there new batteries coming out, with 4 amp hour on the xc battery and 2 amp hour on the smaller ones. 33% increase, by my math, kinda nice to do that on the same tool platform. M12 has worked well for me, the same battery advancements are coming for those as well. I had Makita, changed for battery, and I'm happy with my choice. The overload protection on the Milwaukees has saved me batteries, as I burnt out about 5 big Makita batteries without it.
The Following User Says Thank You to D.S.I. For This Useful Post:
Kastoria (03-13-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 2,342

Whats nice about Makita is:

1. the same battery platform for the last 5-6 years.
2. Makita is always adding new tools to the 18 volt line up.

What this tells me is that they will stay committed to the current platform for awhile yet. Unlike others that are changing the battery style every copuple of years forcing the customer to either:

1. Buy new batteries for a old drill that still works or
2. Buy yet another complete set of drills and batteries

After awhile you have 3 drills with all different battery platforms. Pain in the A$$. With Makita all batteries fit all the 50 plus tools in thier line up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
CrpntrFrk (03-12-2013), Dirtywhiteboy (03-14-2013), Kastoria (03-13-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: REMODELING
Rewards Points: 277

It's all about the dual voltage charger, even though it's sequential charging.
The Following User Says Thank You to D.S.I. For This Useful Post:
Kastoria (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Whats nice about Makita is:

1. the same battery platform for the last 5-6 years.
2. Makita is always adding new tools to the 18 volt line up.

What this tells me is that they will stay committed to the current platform for awhile yet. Unlike others that are changing the battery style every copuple of years forcing the customer to either:

1. Buy new batteries for a old drill that still works or
2. Buy yet another complete set of drills and batteries

After awhile you have 3 drills with all different battery platforms. Pain in the A$$. With Makita all batteries fit all the 50 plus tools in thier line up.
5-6 years on the battery platform means a change is comming. Now they will change back to pod style batteries again so we can rebuy all the same tools we got rid of 5 years ago.

Getting tired of this game.
The Following User Says Thank You to tccoggs For This Useful Post:
Kastoria (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccoggs View Post
5-6 years on the battery platform means a change is comming. Now they will change back to pod style batteries again so we can rebuy all the same tools we got rid of 5 years ago.

Getting tired of this game.
Thats all it is, just a game lol - got a good 7+ years with hitachi, never a problem. Would still buy them but the battery change basically makes the new drills useless, mite as well go with a diff brand is all they caused me to do...think we should all go back to hammer and nails, never changed!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 2,076

turned around a hodge podge collection of drills and impacts (3 different batteries/chargers) for new stuff a few months ago, went for the hammer drill and impact xc batts, and just picked up m12 fuel hammer drill and impact.

zero regrets, best set yet ONE charger for both the 18's and
the 12's
Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,754

Battery technology is continually evolving, and the scientist are constantly studying the effects of both the charge and discharge cycles. I believe Milwaukee changes their interface because the old V18 chargers and tools would damage the new M18 batteries. This may have also been partly due to the V18 being backwards compatible with the old Ni-Cad's.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,050

I've got the m18 fuel impact driver and it rocks. Battery life is awesome and if you leave it on the number 2 setting it makes it last even longer. Sure little on the spend side but if you can hold out for a promo or super sale it helps the wallet.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 13,504

Wasn't Makita a leader in cordless tools
When did Milwaukee start doing the cordless thing
Old 03-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #17

Trade: Metal Buildings
Rewards Points: 18

The perfect planer - Dewalt - it's ready for construction.
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/publicbucket123/DEWALT+DW735+13-Inch%2C+Two+Speed+Thickness+Planer.2.png
Old 03-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 2,840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeley_B View Post
I don't think that you are allowed to put links to your company like that.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 12,102

Yeah. And why dredge up a 5 year old thread about Milwaukee to post stupid idiotic nonsense about a Dewalt tool. The internet is dumb.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
Wasn't Makita a leader in cordless tools
When did Milwaukee start doing the cordless thing
And 5yrs later .........have you changed your mind any?

Advertisement