Max Brad Nailer - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Max Brad Nailer

Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,754

Max Brad Nailer

So I went in to my local tool pusher today to pick up a new brad nailer. As I'm looking around, I pick up the Max 18g brad nailer. Very impressive piece of kit, I think. So I go up to the counter and ask how much....$400!! For a brad nailer?!?! I thought his computer must be screwed up, but Amazon has it for $484.71. I admit I take a few sips of the green Coolaid every now and then, but this is ridiculous! A brad nailer!?! More than $400! Really?

I had a Craftsman that lasted more than a decade. Still works, but fires too many blanks. I can't see spending more than $125-$150 for one. Especially when you can get a pretty decent one for less than $100.

So, anybody here have the Max? Worth the investment?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Re: Max Brad Nailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbucket View Post
So I went in to my local tool pusher today to pick up a new brad nailer. As I'm looking around, I pick up the Max 18g brad nailer. Very impressive piece of kit, I think. So I go up to the counter and ask how much....$400!! For a brad nailer?!?! I thought his computer must be screwed up, but Amazon has it for $484.71. I admit I take a few sips of the green Coolaid every now and then, but this is ridiculous! A brad nailer!?! More than $400! Really?

I had a Craftsman that lasted more than a decade. Still works, but fires too many blanks. I can't see spending more than $125-$150 for one. Especially when you can get a pretty decent one for less than $100.

Dam them Max nailers are expensive. Dont seem anything special for the price.

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Trim Carpenter
Rewards Points: 250

Let me tell you, they are nothing short of incredible. i have yet to find a brad nailer that can countersink as well as this gun and i have used hitachis, senco's, Porter Cable, Ridgid, Cadex, Omer, Paslode and many others. Anti dry fire, clear magazine, rear exhaust, adjustable depth control, great handling, nice slim top design to reach tite spots and get into corners for crown and so much more with very quiet operation compared to other nailers and when you need to approach something on a steep angle, the gun will sink the nails quite well. I have 2 and love them to death. Worth every penny.

Last edited by MikeNeufeld; 11-19-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,858

Ohhhhhhhh, I always like the Omer's. Fancy Italian guns. I admit, I really like my Max Super roofer. I really liked my old Bostitch too, sometimes it is a hard choice.

Max's are worth it, if you don't want to have to buy another gun, ever.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,076

Is it just me or does the Max look very similar to a grex?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Pro

Grex = taiwan
Max = Japan

Try out the Max, you will change your mind.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Pro

Yes, I agree it looks like a sweet gun. Very well machined. It does look like the best brad nailer I have put my hands on, but I have not used one. It's just strange to me that the brad nailer is almost the most expensive tool in their line. Most of their other tools seem to be about 15%-20% more than the competition; the brad nailer is 4x! Okay, maybe 2x if you compare to other high grade tools. I guess I'll have to actually use one to see the difference in performance. I remember when a Senco brad nailer was almost that much.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Builder

I bought a Max 15ga. finish nailer three years ago. I was nailing five-quarter Mahogany as trim on a house. Bostitch wouldnt set the stainless nails no matter how high the pressure, and we were way over the rocommended poundage.

Max worked beautiful without any problems, If you love tools, you will love the max. If I want to impress another finish guy, I make sure I bring the max
and my lie-nielsen block plane (which currently is lost! I left it on the tailgate). One or the other will get him to druel.

I use bostitch also, but they do break down. Seals, firing pins, whatever. If you use them a lot, you will end up having two of each model. One to use, and one on the way to get fixed.
The Following User Says Thank You to NormW For This Useful Post:
Rustbucket (11-20-2009)
Old 11-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Pro

Well, I looked around a little online, and saw Ace Tool has them for $339. Being that I probably shoot more nails through the 18g than any other nailer, I might be well served spending extra on this nailer. Toolbarn also has it at this price, BTW.

My wife hates it when I get tool advice from this forum. I always end up spending twice what originally planned. I always tell her that's the tool everybody on here recommends

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Product...te=google_base
Old 11-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
Pro

excellent choice, you will be very impressed, pleased, satisfied with this gun. Kinda sounds like the wife i shudda married...lol.. just kidding

Slim nose allow you to access tight spots
Light weight at 2.6 lbs.
Dial adjustable depth control
No-mar contact tip included
Trigger Lock Lever
Quick side loading
The transparent magazine shows reloading timing
Rear exhaust air design
Built-in silencer
Portable plastic carrying case.
Tangle free swivel joint
FIRING METHOD - Sequential trip
WEIGHT - 2.6 lbs.
DIMENSIONS - 9-1/2"(H) x 2-3/8"(W) x 10-1/8"(L)
LOAD CAPACITY - 100 brad nails
OPERATING PRESSURE - 60-100 psi. (4-7kg/cm2) (Regulator)
AIR CONSUMPTION - 0.018ft3/cycle at 90psi
Old 11-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,500

I love my max super roofer....now youre making me unhappy with my brad nailers
Old 11-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Making Everyone Happy
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:

If you are looking for a gun to go out and shoot daily with lots of use then yes it is most worth the money. I would only put that much down if you are going through more than two guns a year. they make a wonderfull tool not just nailers, the framers and staplers are excellent also.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Max is the Chinese dung
Old 03-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #14

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

I know that everyone loves the old max but are there any opinions on the new one. Anyone own one? I am looking at these guns right now:

Paslode
Grex
Max
Makita

Can't pull the trigger on which one. I own the max crown stapler and it is a really solid tool. Looks like the brad nailer is a clone just that it shoots brads instead of staples.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
Pro

Well, i took the advice here and bought the old ST18. I found one on Ace Tool for $299. It only hurt until I fired my first shot. Thanks to the folks here at CT for the great advice! I went back by my local tool pusher a couple of weeks ago, and did get a chance to look the new ones over. I'm NOT impressed! I have never fired it, but it just felt cheaper in the hand. It just wasn't as refined. The nose wasn't as well designed either. I'm considering the new Grex "Green Buddy" as a second gun, as I hate changing out the brads all the time. It doesn't look quite as good, but pretty decent. Better than others I have seen. Omer gets good reviews too.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: new construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 638

I have to buy one. Max make make by far the best sticknail framers, the best 7/16 stapler, and a top 3 roofer. They must spend more $ on R+D.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,500

Quote:
Well, i took the advice here and bought the old ST18. I found one on Ace Tool for $299. It only hurt until I fired my first shot. Thanks to the folks here at CT for the great advice! I went back by my local tool pusher a couple of weeks ago, and did get a chance to look the new ones over. I'm NOT impressed! I have never fired it, but it just felt cheaper in the hand. It just wasn't as refined. The nose wasn't as well designed either. I'm considering the new Grex "Green Buddy" as a second gun, as I hate changing out the brads all the time. It doesn't look quite as good, but pretty decent. Better than others I have seen. Omer gets good reviews too.
They still have the old ones there?....no wait...clicked the link....says it no longer exists.

Should just say....quality nail guns that arent made in china no longer exist.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5mt View Post
They still have the old ones there?....no wait...clicked the link....says it no longer exists.

Should just say....quality nail guns that arent made in china no longer exist.
I believe most Duo Fast & some Paslode guns are still made in the USA. I'll double check when I get a chance.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 2,342

I would have been happy with my PC and pasolde Brad nailer. Now I have to get this hard to find Max Brad nailer. Curse this forum for feeding my tool habit. By the way I do have some brad nailers going for cheap very soon.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 13,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I would have been happy with my PC and pasolde Brad nailer. Now I have to get this hard to find Max Brad nailer. Curse this forum for feeding my tool habit. By the way I do have some brad nailers going for cheap very soon.
No doubt. I have an old Campbell Hausfield Pro brad nailer that I really like, but it is only 1 1/4. I need to trim a couple doors today and need a longer nail. I really only need a throw away 15 dollar HF gun until I find the gun I want. Off to the store I go. Oooh, look at all the shiney Hitachi's and Dewalts and Bostiches, even the Senco looks nice. Nearly had a 16 and an 18 in my cart until I realized I had forgotten to stop at the bank first. No deposit, no money. That is all that saved me.

As sad as it is, I ended up with a HF just because I had hit there first. 15.99. My last one ran like a champ, but this one isn't purple. I liked the purple one.

Long way to say, I now am now wishing I had went back and grabbed the Hitachi, at least until I can get a Max that is. Hmmmm... I've made my deposit, my wife is at work, I can sneak them into the truck... curse you CT and all your gateway tools..

Advertisement

Last edited by VinylHanger; 03-08-2012 at 03:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VinylHanger For This Useful Post:
Gary H (03-08-2012)