Old 09-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 5,016

Makita Does It Again

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XAD03Z

Another 18X2 tool
TRThomas (09-29-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2018, 11:34 PM   #2
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 22,308

Re: Makita Does It Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would need or want to lug around a two battery tool, when the competition puts out plenty of power with one battery. My 02.

Mike.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
TRThomas (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 01:49 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling/Everything
Rewards Points: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would need or want to lug around a two battery tool, when the competition puts out plenty of power with one battery. My 02.

Mike.
For some people, probably most, it comes down to which battery platform you're invested in. I gave up several years ago on that and now have Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee and Ryobi 18 volt and Bosch 12 volt.

I have the x2 track saw and rear handle circ saw and don't have any complaints about them. Makita integrated the batteries into these very well. 2 of the Makita 5ah batteries are not much, if at all, heavier than the Milwaukee 9.0. Nice bonus is Makita's holiday sales basically give you free tools when you buy the 4 battery seasonal kits. Still wishing I had bought the 10-inch miter saw they had on sale for $299 with 4 batteries and a charger.

That said, if I were in the market for a cordless hole shooter, it would be the Milwaukee. The 2 batteries on this thing, as well as on their large grinders, seem like they would be really awkward considering both of those tools are frequently used in awkward positions.
The Following User Says Thank You to TRThomas For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (09-29-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 06:01 AM   #4
Pro

I have the Sawzall and the circular saw and the double battery doesn't bother me at all.
For tools that big they do blend into the design and weight isn't an issue.

Now I have to agree the grinder in 36v is really wide on the end.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling & repair
Rewards Points: 1,100

Quote:

Mike.

The track saw has completely replaced my TS55 and the added weight isn't noticed in use.

I also have the leaf blower and it's as powerful as my 2 stroke Echo. I've used the Fuel one many times and the makita will literally blow it away.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRThomas View Post
For some people, probably most, it comes down to which battery platform you're invested in. I gave up several years ago on that and now have Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee and Ryobi 18 volt and Bosch 12 volt.

I have the x2 track saw and rear handle circ saw and don't have any complaints about them. Makita integrated the batteries into these very well. 2 of the Makita 5ah batteries are not much, if at all, heavier than the Milwaukee 9.0. Nice bonus is Makita's holiday sales basically give you free tools when you buy the 4 battery seasonal kits. Still wishing I had bought the 10-inch miter saw they had on sale for $299 with 4 batteries and a charger.

That said, if I were in the market for a cordless hole shooter, it would be the Milwaukee. The 2 batteries on this thing, as well as on their large grinders, seem like they would be really awkward considering both of those tools are frequently used in awkward positions.

It makes zero sense to me to have just one battery platform as well. What's the problem, more than one charger? I'm certainly not going to jip myself of the tool of choice because I don't want to plug in another charger.

Mike.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 706

Quote:

Mike.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
I have the Sawzall and the circular saw and the double battery doesn't bother me at all.
For tools that big they do blend into the design and weight isn't an issue.

Now I have to agree the grinder in 36v is really wide on the end.
The x2 sawzall looks good, all the reviews I've seen on it are positive and it cuts really fast. I'd probably have one if I didn't get the single battery version in a kit. It has a ton of power, and I've never not been able to cut anything with it. It can run through batteries pretty quickly if you're cutting through 4x6 or 8's or similar all day though, at which point I'll break out the Makita AVT recip, which is much more pleasant to use all day anyway.

Quote:
It makes zero sense to me to have just one battery platform as well. What's the problem, more than one charger? I'm certainly not going to jip myself of the tool of choice because I don't want to plug in another charger.

Mike.
I'm guessing it's cost prohibitive for some people. I've worked with people who only use Makita as it's the first cordless line they bought into. They also had very few cordless tools and only a few batteries. With the power cordless tools are making now days, I won't buy a corded handheld tool if there is a viable cordless option. I also only buy kits that come with free batteries around the holidays whenever possible, or if there's something in the closeout rack at Home Depot.

RE the having to plug more than one charger in, I bought a Ridgid Pro small hard case, gutted the lid and mounted all the chargers I use on the top with a splitter and short ext. cord, and keep all my batteries inside of it. It's the most expensive "tool" I own by a large margin when full of batteries. It never stays on a job, even if I leave tools over night or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBuild View Post
The 18vX2 tools I've have are awesome. The 7.5" sliding miter saw will cut trim all day without even needing to check battery life.

The track saw has completely replaced my TS55 and the added weight isn't noticed in use.

I also have the leaf blower and it's as powerful as my 2 stroke Echo. I've used the Fuel one many times and the makita will literally blow it away.
I was considering that 7.5" saw, but I couldn't find one anywhere to look at in person so I ended up with the Milwaukee battery saw. The x2 track saw is great, haven't touched my corded Makita, and the HK55 rarely sees use either. I'm waiting until the holiday sales go live, and am likely going to get the x2 leaf blower kit, assuming it's the same deal as last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
Very few times I would need it, I'm running 2.0 batteries on all my Makitas. Just bought another sub compact Makita combo with three 2. batteries.
I use the 2.0's most often on as well. The rear handle circ saw with (2) 2.0's is incredibly light and will crosscut 2x all day for most of what I do. I do wish Makita would put out a slim 3.0 like Hitachi and Bosch have.

Last edited by TRThomas; 09-29-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 706

Quote:
I use the 2.0's most often on as well. The rear handle circ saw with (2) 2.0's is incredibly light and will crosscut 2x all day for most of what I do. I do wish Makita would put out a slim 3.0 like Hitachi and Bosch have.
I also have Hitachi cordless and will probably add Bosch to my arsenal. I have the Bosch radio oddly the Hitachi charger interferes with the reception.

Makita is my desired platform for tools I use most often but there's no way I'd limit myself. I don't care how many different brands of cordless I use but there's few I have no interest in at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
TRThomas (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Rewards Points: 956

It is nice when you have two have tools that are the same platform and the battery runs out on one while you're up on a ladder or away from the truck...just swap the battery from the other and keep working. I know that's not enough reason to never get a different platform tool, but it is a good tie breaker when the tools are similar enough.
The other nice thing about Makita going 2x18 is that you can use any 18v battery on any tool. Those big ass batteries on some other platforms don't even fit on a lot of tools.
The Following User Says Thank You to SPG For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (10-11-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #11
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
It is nice when you have two have tools that are the same platform and the battery runs out on one while you're up on a ladder or away from the truck...just swap the battery from the other and keep working. I know that's not enough reason to never get a different platform tool, but it is a good tie breaker when the tools are similar enough.
The other nice thing about Makita going 2x18 is that you can use any 18v battery on any tool. Those big ass batteries on some other platforms don't even fit on a lot of tools.

Other platforms give plenty of power with just one 18v battery. I think most of the others don't even make larger batteries than 18v anymore. Those are becoming a thing of the past.

Mike.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
The x2 sawzall looks good, all the reviews I've seen on it are positive and it cuts really fast. I'd probably have one if I didn't get the single battery version in a kit. It has a ton of power, and I've never not been able to cut anything with it. It can run through batteries pretty quickly if you're cutting through 4x6 or 8's or similar all day though, at which point I'll break out the Makita AVT recip, which is much more pleasant to use all day anyway.

I'm guessing it's cost prohibitive for some people. I've worked with people who only use Makita as it's the first cordless line they bought into. They also had very few cordless tools and only a few batteries. With the power cordless tools are making now days, I won't buy a corded handheld tool if there is a viable cordless option. I also only buy kits that come with free batteries around the holidays whenever possible, or if there's something in the closeout rack at Home Depot.

RE the having to plug more than one charger in, I bought a Ridgid Pro small hard case, gutted the lid and mounted all the chargers I use on the top with a splitter and short ext. cord, and keep all my batteries inside of it. It's the most expensive "tool" I own by a large margin when full of batteries. It never stays on a job, even if I leave tools over night or whatever.

I was considering that 7.5" saw, but I couldn't find one anywhere to look at in person so I ended up with the Milwaukee battery saw. The x2 track saw is great, haven't touched my corded Makita, and the HK55 rarely sees use either. I'm waiting until the holiday sales go live, and am likely going to get the x2 leaf blower kit, assuming it's the same deal as last year.

Makita here since 1983. I have never broken a cordless Makita. They get obsolete.
With one battery I will never not have a battery for whatever tools I happen to be using. I have cases for all my stuff and there is at least one battery in the case. No matter what tool I am using and it dies, I can grab a battery from any case or any tool without skipping a beat. When I comes time to charge I use my double charger from the Sawzall so I always have batteries.

I was on the fence when I bought the Sawzall. Read one review and they say it's heavy, another no. I decided power was more important than comfort for what I use a Sawzall for and went X2. I don't find the weight to be a problem at all.

I got the X2 7 1/2 slide miter box and that thing is great.

I got X2 miter box, rear handle circ saw, Sawzall, chain saw, blower. Eyeballing the X2 power head for string trimmer and pole saw next.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Makita here since 1983. I have never broken a cordless Makita. They get obsolete.
With one battery I will never not have a battery for whatever tools I happen to be using. I have cases for all my stuff and there is at least one battery in the case. No matter what tool I am using and it dies, I can grab a battery from any case or any tool without skipping a beat. When I comes time to charge I use my double charger from the Sawzall so I always have batteries.

I was on the fence when I bought the Sawzall. Read one review and they say it's heavy, another no. I decided power was more important than comfort for what I use a Sawzall for and went X2. I don't find the weight to be a problem at all.

I got the X2 7 1/2 slide miter box and that thing is great.

I got X2 miter box, rear handle circ saw, Sawzall, chain saw, blower. Eyeballing the X2 power head for string trimmer and pole saw next.
Makita definitely builds tools for the long haul. I've got a 9.6v drill of theirs buried somewhere that still works like new. Hell, the battery still takes a charge albeit not as it did when new. My original Makita drill/impact kit is.. 10 years old? Batteries are still going strong and both they and the tools see use daily. Bought an early Dewalt 20v drill a long time ago and it didn't last a year of light around the house work. Really put me off Dewalt tools for a long time, but their new 20v cordless stuff is great (have their OMT and deep cut bandsaw - both exceptional performers.) I've also been waiting on a deal on the x2 power head for some homemade tool ideas I've been tossing around.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Rewards Points: 956

Quote:
Other platforms give plenty of power with just one 18v battery. I think most of the others don't even make larger batteries than 18v anymore. Those are becoming a thing of the past.
Not sure I follow. Are you saying DeWalt isn't making their 60v stuff anymore?
I guess my point, which if I have to explain then I didn't make it very well, is that with Makita at least it doesn't matter what size battery you have as it will work on their other tools. If I buy the Makita 18v x2 chop saw, either of those 5ah batteries that come with it will work on my impact driver. If you buy the Milwaukee table saw for example, that big battery won't even fit on an impact driver, not that you'd want to lift that boat anchor overhead anyway.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Not sure I follow. Are you saying DeWalt isn't making their 60v stuff anymore?
I guess my point, which if I have to explain then I didn't make it very well, is that with Makita at least it doesn't matter what size battery you have as it will work on their other tools. If I buy the Makita 18v x2 chop saw, either of those 5ah batteries that come with it will work on my impact driver. If you buy the Milwaukee table saw for example, that big battery won't even fit on an impact driver, not that you'd want to lift that boat anchor overhead anyway.
I think he is referring to the now defunct Dewalt 40v, Bosch 36v and Milwaukee 28v tools that never built any steam. I didn't realize the new Milwaukee high output batteries wouldn't work on their drivers? I know Flexvolt is backwards compatible on all of their 20v LIon tools, but as you said I wouldn't use either of those on a tool I had to carry on my belt all day. On a circ saw, recip saw or a semi stationary tool they are great, but at that point 2 Makita batteries weighing 3 pounds or 1 super battery weighing 3 pounds still weigh the same. I'd go for the best ergonomics at that point assuming the performance was similar.

Edit: Also maybe note worthy, Makitas 3-4-5-6ah batteries all weigh the same.

Last edited by TRThomas; 09-29-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Calidecks (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #16
GC/carpenter

I ALWAYS use the smallest battery I can. Makes no sense to lug around a huge battery when all I have to do is yell "hey Bob grab me another battery " once every couple days.

I don't need a battery to last all day when I have 15 of them.

In fact I don't own any of the extra large amp hour batteries.

Mike.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:14 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,050

some of the big stuff sucks batteries .the makita blower i have can use up the two batteries and same for the big demo hammer .
Oh and I have milwaukee's new model impact and drill ,yeah they have hump but they suck off battery's fast fast when under load .So sometimes bigger or more batteries is of value . Depends on tool and application .
The Following User Says Thank You to JFM constr For This Useful Post:
cedarboarder (10-01-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 11:21 PM   #18
GC/carpenter

I use the **** out of the impacts daily. I can get by with the small batteries. I like to carry the surge in my bags. The small battery is perfect for that. When I say small I mean the 2.0 ah.

Mike.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:39 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
I use the **** out of the impacts daily. I can get by with the small batteries. I like to carry the surge in my bags. The small battery is perfect for that. When I say small I mean the 2.0 ah.

Mike.
Yep, the Surge with the 2.0 is my daily driver as well. Only time I really use my Makita impacts is if I'm driving some really large lags or ledgerlocks or something. The Surge will do it, but the driver end seems to heat up a bit and starts to sound.. off.. and I don't want to burn it up. The standard impact drivers are faster for the big stuff, but the surge drives anything up to 3-1/2 #10's a bit faster, smoother and with a lot less noise.
Calidecks (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 11:47 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
some of the big stuff sucks batteries .the makita blower i have can use up the two batteries and same for the big demo hammer .
Oh and I have milwaukee's new model impact and drill ,yeah they have hump but they suck off battery's fast fast when under load .So sometimes bigger or more batteries is of value . Depends on tool and application .
The x2 track saw drains batteries pretty quickly if you are cutting thick or dense material. Had to taper rip about 200' of 1" thick pre-finished Poplar toe kick and IIRC I had to change batteries twice. Was using a 60 tooth 6-1/2" blade though which was definitely not the right blade for the job.

Advertisement