Makita 18V Li-ion Impact Drivers - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Makita 18V Li-ion Impact Drivers

Old 03-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Makita 18V Li-ion Impact Drivers

Hi New to the forum
I looking at buying a impact driver. Looked at about everything out there. Kind of zeroing in on the Makita BTD142HWR. Was wondering if anyone had this or they have bought a impact lately and what their experience is. This is mostly for decks.

Thanks for input

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 254

Re: Makita 18V Li-ion Impact Drivers

I've got one. Like it a lot - but it took a couple of uses to get familiar with the way it works.

I recommend buying a second big battery (1830) as the smaller ones don't last as long as you might want.

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #3

Trade: Kitchen and Bath remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

I second the suggestion of getting the full size battery for deck work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Trim Carpenter
Rewards Points: 250

Makita makes a decent product for sure. I would recommend the Panasonic Li Ion with 3A hr batts. They seem to handle the makita's in duration and run time, and they are only 14.4 volt. Also another nice tool that will hit the market soon is the new Bosch Litheon impactor with 1500 in lbs of torgue. If it is anything like the others bosch tools it will be excellent..

Just my 2 cents
Old 03-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,330

I believe Tools of the Trade rated it the highest. I got the Hilti and my friend got the Makita shortly there after, the makita is an 18V where mine is a 14.4 so its got more stonk then mine, and the slim grip is really nice. Highly recommend it, the 3ah battery is well worth the price. Really its hard to go wrong with any of the big names, Dewalt, makita, bosch.....except ridgid they are cheaper for a reason.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

I have been useing impact guns for about three years and I own the 18volt Dewalt, the Makita you mentioned, and the Panasonic. The Makita was the best all around purchase because the Dewalt is too heavy and the Panasonic was way more expensive from what I remember, but I bought it about two years ago so the prices might have dropped slightly.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

I havent bought one YET, but i will be. I was on a job with a friend of mine who has the Dewalt and i asked him how he liked it. His response was he doesnt know what he would do without it now that he has it. He let me borrow it for several things on the job and i must say i fell in love with it. As said above you really cant go wrong with the brand name products but i must say that everything i have now is Dewalt and the batteries SUCK. Makita does have better batteries so if you are not particular to a certain brand than that is the one to get.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,330

Quote:
i must say that everything i have now is Dewalt and the batteries SUCK
NiCad or new Lithium Ion? I've got 2 Dewalt 18V Xrp hammer drills and I've got through a battery each....and I've killed chargers too; having got them at homedepot having batteries replaced is either easy as pie or a real battle. I bought the Hilti because I got a decent price on it and I know i can rely on their product support. I really like the fuel gauge! Nothing worse then taking the dead battery up the 10 foot ladder.

After I bought a 24V NiCad hammerdrill and sawzall I kicked myself for not getting a Lith-ion; the batteries are better in every respect. I think any good brand name impact driver with Lith-ion batteries you really can't go wrong.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #9

Trade: Builder, renovator
Rewards Points: 75

i have 2 - 18v Li-Ion impact 3AH they are definatly worth the price, I use them every day...rarely use a standard drill anymore..just for drilling holes.
Only problem with them is where the handle connects to the battery is a weak spot and I have seen many break at this point if you drop them from even a short distance..one of mine has a floppy battery but still works great
Old 03-27-2009, 06:02 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling

I have 2 of the makitas as well. One is almost 3 years old and the other is almost a year. The larger battery is a must for anything above light use. Batteries last a while. Still using the original batteries from 3 years ago.

" Of course I don't look busy, I did it right the first time "
Old 03-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
Allrounder Home Services

Trade: Residential Remodeling

I have the Makita and I love it. The light on it seemed silly at first but now I don't think I could live without it.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #12

Hey, Thanks everyone for the input. I just ordered the Makita that was shown. Its nice to have input from users before you buy. What a great forum. I wish I would have found this a few purchases ago. I bought a Masterforce from one of the Big Boxes. If the price is too good to believe then it you probably shouldn't.

Again thanks, will report on satisfaction

P.S. I went with recondition, had did this with 2400 Makita air compressor and am well satisfied.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

Love the gun myself., But like everyone is saying always having a charge is the key
Old 03-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,270

Hey Kodiak, is that a **** star in your avatar? One of those meet 'n greets at a **** shop?

Oh yeah, OP, you'll love the Makita impact driver for decks, I do.

Mac
Old 04-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetland View Post
Hey, Thanks everyone for the input. I just ordered the Makita that was shown. Its nice to have input from users before you buy. What a great forum. I wish I would have found this a few purchases ago. I bought a Masterforce from one of the Big Boxes. If the price is too good to believe then it you probably shouldn't.

Again thanks, will report on satisfaction

P.S. I went with recondition, had did this with 2400 Makita air compressor and am well satisfied.
you wont go wrong with the makita.its strong best i owned so far
Old 04-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #16

Bought the Impact and drill combo love it to the max wouldn't trade it for any other. I have used many other drills and nothing compares. I don't have the bigger batteries because they charge in 15min. so I didn't think I really needed it. All in all Love it!

Advertisement