Which M18/M12 Jigsaw To Get? - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Which M18/M12 Jigsaw To Get?

Old 05-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 346

Which M18/M12 Jigsaw To Get?

I know Leo has a similar thread that I read but his is about all brands of cordless jigsaws so I started this one.

I have ALL M18/M12 tools so want to stick with that even if it isn't the best cordless jigsaw out there.

Was looking online at homedepot today and they have the m12 barrel grip that looks compact but not sure about it and it isn't brushless. They also have the m18 D handle and barrel grip that are both brushless. I currently have a ridgid D handle that I got about 10 years ago when my trusty bosch finally died and that ridgid actually has been a decent saw for me.

Pretty sure I'm going M18 since they seem like a better saw then the M12 and I don't really need the compactness for what I use jigsaws for. So the question is barrel grip or D handle? Not sure I like how long the barrel grip is, seems like that long tail might hold you up from making some cuts.

Also right now on the HD site the barrel grip and D handle are both 200 bucks but they have an offer to get a free 5.0 battery with the D handle only. I don't really need anymore batteries but I mean a free battery is a free battery right?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,216

Re: Which M18/M12 Jigsaw To Get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumLLC View Post
I know Leo has a similar thread that I read but his is about all brands of cordless jigsaws so I started this one.

I have ALL M18/M12 tools so want to stick with that even if it isn't the best cordless jigsaw out there.

Was looking online at homedepot today and they have the m12 barrel grip that looks compact but not sure about it and it isn't brushless. They also have the m18 D handle and barrel grip that are both brushless. I currently have a ridgid D handle that I got about 10 years ago when my trusty bosch finally died and that ridgid actually has been a decent saw for me.

Pretty sure I'm going M18 since they seem like a better saw then the M12 and I don't really need the compactness for what I use jigsaws for. So the question is barrel grip or D handle? Not sure I like how long the barrel grip is, seems like that long tail might hold you up from making some cuts.

Also right now on the HD site the barrel grip and D handle are both 200 bucks but they have an offer to get a free 5.0 battery with the D handle only. I don't really need anymore batteries but I mean a free battery is a free battery right?
I wouldn't take dgrip if it was Free. But that battery deal is sweet

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityDecks View Post
I wouldn't take dgrip if it was Free. But that battery deal is sweet

Personal preference or for any particular reason? I've used D handle most of my life and haven't really minded them. I know lots of guys swear by the barrel grip. I'm just not sure about how long that tail on the M18 barrel grip looks. Would think it would limit some cuts when you go to swing the saw and the back of it hits something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumLLC View Post
Personal preference or for any particular reason? I've used D handle most of my life and haven't really minded them. I know lots of guys swear by the barrel grip. I'm just not sure about how long that tail on the M18 barrel grip looks. Would think it would limit some cuts when you go to swing the saw and the back of it hits something.
Agree with tail on barrel. I fell Off 3/story roof and grabbed onto scaffolding to save my life. Any way long story short my right thumb tore Clean Off. Put it back on work's perfect but certain angles Sanders ETC it gets annoying aches/ fatigue. Example I only sand with festool Sanders. Barrel grip all day d feels uncomfortable. Just Lil thing's that take into consideration b4 buying.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityDecks View Post
Agree with tail on barrel. I fell Off 3/story roof and grabbed onto scaffolding to save my life. Any way long story short my right thumb tore Clean Off. Put it back on work's perfect but certain angles Sanders ETC it gets annoying aches/ fatigue. Example I only sand with festool Sanders. Barrel grip all day d feels uncomfortable. Just Lil thing's that take into consideration b4 buying.

Also like to cut from under

Old 05-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 1,846

OP -what are you using it for . is it your only jigsaw . i would wonder if one had more power then the other ,do you need more power .
Old 05-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #7
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
OP -what are you using it for . is it your only jigsaw . i would wonder if one had more power then the other ,do you need more power .
I don't use them often and when I do it's usually for that random cut that most other saws can't do. Most of the time my oscillating saw will do what I used to do with the jig saw. But I've used it on things like 2x8 pergola rafter ends to make a curved design. Or when framing an interior wall that has arches in it I use it to cut the radius in the OSB. I've also made some bottle racks for behind bars that have curved ends on the shelves so use the jig saw for that. Usually those are either 1x4 solid oak or oak faced ply.

Mainly just want to cut the cords and when I know I'll be using a tool on an upcoming job I'll go buy the M18 or M12 version and keep the corded version on the trailer. Usually when I'm using my jigsaw I have a bunch of other tools out also that I keep switching back and forth between. Like jigsaw, router, orbital sander, etc. So cords get tangled up and twisted together.

I do have a corded jigsaw or two. As far as I can tell both the M18 jigsaws have the same power and strokes per minute. Looking online at home depot that free battery deal with the D handle is online only and says out of stock online. So guess the free battery doesn't come into play anymore. Maybe I'll just get the barrel grip and see how I like it.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 1,846

that m12 might be a good choice .you have a corded one for big stuff .m12 will be faster and easier to get at . sounds like you'll get another when there is a better one anyhow .
Old 05-15-2019, 10:41 PM   #9
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 15,442

I've got the M18 barrel. The tail isn't an issue with what I'll be using it for. The only problem I've seen is the indents are off. It can be put to 90 degrees only by taking it out of the indents and locking tight. I'd be interested to know if they are all like that, or I just got a bad one.

Mike.

Advertisement