M18 Fuel Drywall Screwgun - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

M18 Fuel Drywall Screwgun

Old 12-19-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 348

M18 Fuel Drywall Screwgun

I've got my trusty corded dewalt screw gun I've had for who knows how long. I've been very happy with it but the cord can be a pain. I also have a senco duraspin cordless drywall gun but can't remember the last time I used that thing.

Now that I switched to milwaukee cordless platform I see they have a M18 fuel drywall gun and thinking about picking one up. Anyone have one of these? Wasn't there a give away for one of these not to long ago? How are they? Will one replace my corded gun? Or are they only for a couple sheets here and there? Are they balanced good and feel god in the hand like my dewalt corded gun does?

What about the milwaukee cordless cut out zip tool? Go totally cordless for drywall jobs?

I don't do a ton of drywall but do have a lot of smaller jobs and a bigger job every now and then. I have a 70 sheet job coming up and that's about the biggest I see and those only come maybe once or twice a year. Just weighing some options and looking for opinions.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 340

Re: M18 Fuel Drywall Screwgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumLLC View Post
I've got my trusty corded dewalt screw gun I've had for who knows how long. I've been very happy with it but the cord can be a pain. I also have a senco duraspin cordless drywall gun but can't remember the last time I used that thing.

Now that I switched to milwaukee cordless platform I see they have a M18 fuel drywall gun and thinking about picking one up. Anyone have one of these? Wasn't there a give away for one of these not to long ago? How are they? Will one replace my corded gun? Or are they only for a couple sheets here and there? Are they balanced good and feel god in the hand like my dewalt corded gun does?

What about the milwaukee cordless cut out zip tool? Go totally cordless for drywall jobs?

I don't do a ton of drywall but do have a lot of smaller jobs and a bigger job every now and then. I have a 70 sheet job coming up and that's about the biggest I see and those only come maybe once or twice a year. Just weighing some options and looking for opinions.
Seeing as I was one of the recipients of said give away, I'll chime in.

Having never used a dedicated drywall screw gun before, I really like it. We have a Senco Duraspin as well, but it's quite old and the batteries don't hold a charge at all. We just used the Fuel to hang about 12 boards or so and it's very nice. I do like the balance of it and features.

That being said, I'm not hanging no 70 boards of drywall...

We sub any major amount of drywall work and keep doing what we are better and faster at.

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2016, 12:52 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: residential construction
Rewards Points: 364

I have the HILTI cordless and for the 1-3 rooms we do in a remod it is use fell and pays for its self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,482

Commercial sites now use nothing but cordless screw guns and cordless rotozips.
hdavis (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememtnbiker View Post
Seeing as I was one of the recipients of said give away, I'll chime in.

Having never used a dedicated drywall screw gun before, I really like it. We have a Senco Duraspin as well, but it's quite old and the batteries don't hold a charge at all. We just used the Fuel to hang about 12 boards or so and it's very nice. I do like the balance of it and features.

That being said, I'm not hanging no 70 boards of drywall...

We sub any major amount of drywall work and keep doing what we are better and faster at.
Glad to hear the balance is good. That was one concern I had since a drywall gun has to feel balanced when you pull the trigger and fire in a handful of screws.

I used to hang drywall in commercial buildings way back when so 70 sheets isn't too bad for me. Plus this one is basically two long walls with no lids so there won't be much cutting or measuring. Should fly pretty fast. If it was 70 boards of chopped up rooms then I would have made the phone call also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Commercial sites now use nothing but cordless screw guns and cordless rotozips.
That's interesting to hear that's all they use on commercial sites. It's been well over 10 years since I've been on a big commercial job but back in the day we all had dewalts with 50' cords on them and porter cable routers. Miles of cords everywhere when you get a big crew on a job.

But glad to hear that's all they use. Means they must be able to take some abuse and also must be nice to use.

Looks like I need to place an order. Milwaukee has the bare tool for 150. A kit with two 2 amp batteries for 229 and a kit with two 5 amp batteries for 299. I'm thinking that the 2 amp batteries might be better because of the weight? I have some 5 amp batteries from my other milwaukee tools and like them but just thinking for drywall gun I would want the lighter weight?
Old 12-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

Trade: Carpentry/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 186

Looks like I need to place an order. Milwaukee has the bare tool for 150. A kit with two 2 amp batteries for 229 and a kit with two 5 amp batteries for 299. I'm thinking that the 2 amp batteries might be better because of the weight? I have some 5 amp batteries from my other milwaukee tools and like them but just thinking for drywall gun I would want the lighter weight?[/QUOTE]

I think AcmeTools has a deal where the 5amp kit comes with a free extra battery for a total of three...
Old 12-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 340

Quote:
Glad to hear the balance is good. That was one concern I had since a drywall gun has to feel balanced when you pull the trigger and fire in a handful of screws.

I used to hang drywall in commercial buildings way back when so 70 sheets isn't too bad for me. Plus this one is basically two long walls with no lids so there won't be much cutting or measuring. Should fly pretty fast. If it was 70 boards of chopped up rooms then I would have made the phone call also.

That's interesting to hear that's all they use on commercial sites. It's been well over 10 years since I've been on a big commercial job but back in the day we all had dewalts with 50' cords on them and porter cable routers. Miles of cords everywhere when you get a big crew on a job.

But glad to hear that's all they use. Means they must be able to take some abuse and also must be nice to use.

Looks like I need to place an order. Milwaukee has the bare tool for 150. A kit with two 2 amp batteries for 229 and a kit with two 5 amp batteries for 299. I'm thinking that the 2 amp batteries might be better because of the weight? I have some 5 amp batteries from my other milwaukee tools and like them but just thinking for drywall gun I would want the lighter weight?

My kit is the light batteries and I haven't tried anything else but I assume the balance would be worse with the 5 but probably still fine.

It also has an auto start feature so unlike a corded gun, the motor isn't spinning until you start driving the screw. Very handy since you're on battery power not corded as far as wasting juice.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,482

Quote:

All I see these days are Hilti and DeWalt. DeWalt rotozips seem popular aswell.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
All I see these days are Hilti and DeWalt. DeWalt rotozips seem popular aswell.
Well I already have milwaukee cordless tools so if I'm going to get a cordless drywall gun it's going to have to be milwaukee. They seem to get good reviews so hopefully they will be decent.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,276

I'm still not certain why loose screws are used when you have 70 sheets. Collated screws and done.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #11
Fugetaboutit

Trade: Professional fixer upper
Rewards Points: 444

The milwaukee cut-out (rotozip) is awesome. I like it.
Don't have the screwgun, can't comment on it.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:57 AM   #12
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax718 View Post
I'm still not certain why loose screws are used when you have 70 sheets. Collated screws and done.
I have a senco cordless duraspin that uses collated screws and hate it. I use my corded deWalt before that anyday. I don't even carry the senco in the trailer. Only time I think about using it is a very small job up on scaffolding or something.

I ordered the Milwaukee screw gun and rotozip so will see how it goes.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,730

I have both and really like them... The cords are done for me.

The gun is just right, and the zip is a little back heavy, but easy to get used to

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Old 01-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,276

Quote:
I have a senco cordless duraspin that uses collated screws and hate it. I use my corded deWalt before that anyday. I don't even carry the senco in the trailer. Only time I think about using it is a very small job up on scaffolding or something.

I ordered the Milwaukee screw gun and rotozip so will see how it goes.
I have a senco corded duraspin, and works peachy. I have the ridgid cordless, which was actually made by senco- the beauty being none of the crappy senco batteries. The mechanisms can get a bit clunky and can use a bit of lube from time to time.

Advertisement