M12 Sds - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

M12 Sds

Old 01-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 348

M12 Sds

I have a few SDS corded drills of various sizes and use them all the time. Thinking it's time to make my next cordless purchase an SDS. Thinking of getting a baby one first, the m12 5/8" 2416-21xc. It comes with one 4 amp battery but I already have a ton of batteries so that doesn't really matter. Would just get the bare tool but the price is the same for the kit with one battery as it is for the bare tool.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools...ukee-2416-21xc

Would be used only for anchors in concrete. I mostly use tapcons in the 3/16" and 1/4" diameters. But also use other anchors that may need a 5/8" hole for things like drop ins. I'm guessing a bunch of 5/8" holes would be pushing this sds to it's limits but I don't usually do a ton of the bigger holes so thinking it will be alright. I always have the corded sds if I need them. Also plan on getting an m18 sds in the future to do the bigger holes if needed.

Anybody have one of the m12 sds drills? How does it do with smaller holes for anchors? How many holes roughly do you get from a battery?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,736

Re: M12 Sds

Since I don't run Milwaukee, I can't give the input you want. I will say, we bought a 20v SDS Dewalt. Then bought another one. We can get about 30 - 1/2" holes in 4" concrete on a 5ah battery.

I had a big Bosch sds in my truck. Now it sits in the shop. Cordless is so much better. Easy to move around. No outlets to look for. No extension cords.

I can't give you input on Milwaukee, but cordless SDS. I say they are good. Great actually.

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,640

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
Since I don't run Milwaukee, I can't give the input you want. I will say, we bought a 20v SDS Dewalt. Then bought another one. We can get about 30 - 1/2" holes in 4" concrete on a 5ah battery.

I had a big Bosch sds in my truck. Now it sits in the shop. Cordless is so much better. Easy to move around. No outlets to look for. No extension cords.

I can't give you input on Milwaukee, but cordless SDS. I say they are good. Great actually.
The DeWalt is sooooo good. Sold my Hilti when I got it...then bought another.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
overanalyze (01-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Systems
Rewards Points: 2,350

I have the m12 sds it's great at running holes for tapcons I have pushed it go half in before it can do it but if I was doing it all the time I would go bigger.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,776

I have been thinking of getting one , thinking I want to go with a M18 one though 1" or 1 1/8".
Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
I have been thinking of getting one , thinking I want to go with a M18 one though 1" or 1 1/8".
I'd like to get the bigger one also sometime in the near future. But I think the m12 is going to be perfect for smaller holes for anchors being that it's lighter and smaller to get in places better. I'm going to go ahead and pick one up next week. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,776

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumLLC View Post
I'd like to get the bigger one also sometime in the near future. But I think the m12 is going to be perfect for smaller holes for anchors being that it's lighter and smaller to get in places better. I'm going to go ahead and pick one up next week. Thanks for the advice.
Well keep us posted as to how it works. I don't do a lot of large holes , mostly remodeling . Just want one that will do the job and last.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:30 PM   #8
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 278

I can't imagine the M12 doing any good for a 5/8" hole. No SDS does well at its max rated capacity.

I have the M18 1" Fuel and have drilled about 2000 holes with it. Almost all 1/2" x 5".
Randy Bush (01-24-2019), tgeb (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 11:40 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: professional licensed electrician
Rewards Points: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I can't imagine the M12 doing any good for a 5/8" hole. No SDS does well at its max rated capacity.

I have the M18 1" Fuel and have drilled about 2000 holes with it. Almost all 1/2" x 5".
MY cordless Hilti sds can drill 3/4 holes all day long on one battery seriously the best money I ever spent

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #10
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post

You are correct. Most of my use for this drill will be 5/32" and 3/16" for tapcons. I'll get the bigger m18 sds down the road sometime. From what I understand sds is best at drilling holes half it's rated size. So to do all sizes I'll need two sds drills. So I'm thinking the 5/8" will work good for what I'm looking for right now. I'll push it a little and see how it does with 1/2" and 5/8" holes but I don't do a ton of them. And like I said, I have my corded versions to cover whatever I need until I get the bigger m18. I think the light weight m12 will be nice up on ladders and overhead.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Systems
Rewards Points: 2,350

Like I said if your just drilling the odd half in hole it will do it, it's great at running holes for tapcons.

Like anything else having good bits helps a ton

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2019, 12:46 AM   #12
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post

I have the 1" cordless Milwaukee M18. It's outstanding. I have a corded Bosch 1-5/8" SDS MAX I use for digging or drilling big stuff.

Mike.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
Randy Bush (01-26-2019)