M12 Fuel Hackzall

Old 05-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 596

M12 Fuel Hackzall

As per the title, anyone have it?

Love/hate/indifferent?

I have the non-brushless, picked it up with the "buy this get that" sale they had awhile back at the Depot; was excited to just have it on hand in my bags, just in case I needed a sawzall for a few quick cuts throughout the day. I was totally overwhelmed and it's hanging out in my closet for the sake of saving space in my cordless box.

Not looking something to replaced a corded sawzall for all day demo-work, just something I can keep in the tool box to save myself the odd trip or two to the truck if I suddenly find myself having to tear out some things.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,466

Re: M12 Fuel Hackzall

I snagged one from a plumber for a day and I didn't want to give it back. For what I do its perfect.

Advertisement

kwunch (05-15-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 565

I have one and find it quite useful. There is very little power, but for schedule 40 and other "easy" cuts .... takes very little space and (for me) has paid for itself many times over.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanya LaPunta For This Useful Post:
kwunch (05-17-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
Pro

Does it struggle making it's way through an occasional 2x4, or will it usually chew up a few of them pretty good if you need to and a corded isn't in reach?
Old 05-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwunch View Post
Does it struggle making it's way through an occasional 2x4, or will it usually chew up a few of them pretty good if you need to and a corded isn't in reach?
I only cut pipe with it but I'm sure it could handle a few 2x4s. The beauty of it was how easily it fits in tight places that you would typically only be able to get at with a small hand saw.
kwunch (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
Pro

Thanks. Am debating whether I want to continue expanding my M12 set up (currently just multi-tool, basic drill/drive, and brushless impact) that I carry around, or slowly start purchasing some of the brushless M18 stuff.

I think I may be leaning more towards getting after some of the M18 stuff at this point. We'll see, there is no urgency.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Thanks. Am debating whether I want to continue expanding my M12 set up (currently just multi-tool, basic drill/drive, and brushless impact) that I carry around, or slowly start purchasing some of the brushless M18 stuff.

I think I may be leaning more towards getting after some of the M18 stuff at this point. We'll see, there is no urgency.
What do you do on a daily basis?

I tried carrying compact drills but instead of going to the truck and getting bigger ones I'd just abuse the heck out of the little ones and I'd kill them in a few months.

I'm all about carrying as few tools as possible, I will only carry a cordless tool if it replaces a corded one.
kwunch (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 05:51 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,660

I have no experience with them. A plumber I work with, alot, has one and I asked him about it.
He said it works well for him, but he didn't think I would be happy with the power.
Still looks handy though.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,276

Power is fine for a few 2x4's here and there. The short blades have less mass to contend with, but the blade wont cut a 2x4 width wise. the saber saw 12v feels more powerful for some reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to madmax718 For This Useful Post:
kwunch (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
What do you do on a daily basis?

I tried carrying compact drills but instead of going to the truck and getting bigger ones I'd just abuse the heck out of the little ones and I'd kill them in a few months.

I'm all about carrying as few tools as possible, I will only carry a cordless tool if it replaces a corded one.
Recently took a job working for a remodeling company; so for the past seven days it's been all demolition work and throwing drywall at ceilings.

I didn't really think the M12 or M18 would replace a corded Sawzall, was just hoping to be proved wrong so I could justify buying one or the other.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #11
Nail Driving Fool

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,333

Quote:
Recently took a job working for a remodeling company; so for the past seven days it's been all demolition work and throwing drywall at ceilings.

I didn't really think the M12 or M18 would replace a corded Sawzall, was just hoping to be proved wrong so I could justify buying one or the other.
It really depends on the type of demo. I've done a lot of tear outs with cordless, they are fine for drywall and plaster. Still good for knocking a few studs out of the way, but if you are gutting a house there is no replacement for corded.

It all depends on the application and the level of performance needed.
606-568-7202
The Following User Says Thank You to Robinson1 For This Useful Post:
kwunch (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #12
Pro

Depends on if your supplying one guy or a team. like robinson said, no replacement for corded. Or... gas.... depends on your demo. lol.
kwunch (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:

If your paid by the sq feet for drywall, why not consider investing in a drywall screw gun, or a collated screw gun? Might be a better return on investment. (1.7/screw for collated, about 1 cent for loose in 20lb boxes).
kwunch (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax718 View Post
If your paid by the sq feet for drywall, why not consider investing in a drywall screw gun, or a collated screw gun? Might be a better return on investment. (1.7/screw for collated, about 1 cent for loose in 20lb boxes).
I'm hourly, but a drywall gun has been crossing my mind (especially after playing with the 20v Dewalt one in the store). We'll see, boss has no problem supplying tools but I like to have my own set up for certain things that other people can't use/abuse.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #15
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
I'm hourly, but a drywall gun has been crossing my mind (especially after playing with the 20v Dewalt one in the store). We'll see, boss has no problem supplying tools but I like to have my own set up for certain things that other people can't use/abuse.
If you're hourly use a screwdriver.
kwunch (05-19-2015), Youngin' (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
If you're hourly use a screwdriver.
My helper struggles as is, I think the poor guy's shoulders would dislocate if he had to hold the board up any longer. Well, they'd dislocate or he'd whine a lot more.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #17
Nail Driving Fool

Quote:
I don't understand how you hang drywall without a gun. I know the impacts with dimplers are getting popular but I'd hate to hang a house with one.
606-568-7202
Old 05-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson1 View Post
I don't understand how you hang drywall without a gun. I know the impacts with dimplers are getting popular but I'd hate to hang a house with one.
I've yet to hang an extensive amount for this guy, one ceiling last week and two yesterday so far. Granted, the entire time I was thinking a collated screwgun would really save my shoulders while I held the sheet up and fumbled for screws in my pouch with one hand then grabbed the impact with the other.

If the trend of hanging something once a week/once every other week continues a gun will be in my future. Still debating whether to go with a corded one or run two platforms, but my buddy who does primarily drywall picked up the cordless the other day and has been randomly texting me about how awesome it is. These reviews are not helping me resist the temptation at all. If this winter weren't so rough and I was sitting on a bit more cash I would have bought it the first time I saw it at the depot.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #19
Nail Driving Fool

Quote:
I've yet to hang an extensive amount for this guy, one ceiling last week and two yesterday so far. Granted, the entire time I was thinking a collated screwgun would really save my shoulders while I held the sheet up and fumbled for screws in my pouch with one hand then grabbed the impact with the other.

If the trend of hanging something once a week/once every other week continues a gun will be in my future. Still debating whether to go with a corded one or run two platforms, but my buddy who does primarily drywall picked up the cordless the other day and has been randomly texting me about how awesome it is. These reviews are not helping me resist the temptation at all. If this winter weren't so rough and I was sitting on a bit more cash I would have bought it the first time I saw it at the depot.
If I were only doing a room here and there and patches I'd say cordless all the way. The 20v is good enough to replace a corded gun. But like most things if you start doing a lot of it you will probably end up with corded and cordless versions.

If money is tight I'd pick up a cheap corded gun to use until I could spring for the 20v gun. Hanging with a screwgun versus an impact is night and day difference.
606-568-7202
Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,422

I enjoy all my Milwaukee 18 and 12volt equipment . I like my 12/volt hackzall......its great for light demo and quick work....the cc batteries help a lot .
Attached Thumbnails
M12 Fuel Hackzall-1432096325621.jpg  

Advertisement