Looking At A Festool Cordless Drill - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Looking At A Festool Cordless Drill

Old 05-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: drywall finishing
Rewards Points: 107

Looking At A Festool Cordless Drill

Well I have been reading and reading and reading about them, and heard a lot of good things. I looked up the closest dealer, and am going to take one for a test drive. I am a little hesitant to drop that kind of change on a cordless drill. But I like the idea of possibly buying the last cordless drill I will use.

I am not dead set on the c12, am also going to check out the newer cordless models. Also, I am trying really really hard not to buy one on impulse. My reckoning is that even if they are the 'best' ones out there, if they are not comfortable in my hands I won't like using them as much.

My current cordless is a dewalt 14.4v model, which since day 1 the clutch has not worked properly. It seems weak. In my experience there is no way I should be able to hold the chuck back when it is set on drill, and that is what is does. Other than that the dewalt has worked like a charm. Battery on it is great, holds a charge for a long time for me.

A friend of mine has an 18v Dewalt, non xrp version. I like the power of it, only thing I noticed is that without the rubber grip, when applying pressure I can REALLY feel the seam on the back of the handle. So my second choice is an 18v Dewalt xrp. I know there may be other options out there that are better, but since some of my other tools are Dewalt 18v, I might as well hang with them since I already have other batteries.

Any thoughts? warnings?

Are the festool cordless drills really all that? Or am I falling for the lust factor?

Opinions are welcome and appreciated

Mike

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,584

Re: Looking At A Festool Cordless Drill

I've had the C12 for a year now. I bought the complete kit with the 2.4ah NiCad.
I use this drill every day for everything. The battery run time is unbelievable, the drill is light, well balanced and delivers full power at any speed. The only other drill that comes close is a Panasonic. The only thing the Panny's lack is the extra chucks.

It's kind of spendy for a drill but, its a very smart drill and could very well be the last drill you buy for the next 10 years or so.

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Oh no,
it's too late for inoculations now!
You have come in contact with
a known infectious carrier, a
virtual Typhoid Mary of the
Green Disease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Pro

LOL, well I haven't come into physical contact with one...... yet. Must be a doozy of a disease to infect people over the internet! For those of you with the drills, how comfortable are they in the hand? I do like the idea of the 12v having the capabilities of other 18v drills, should mean less weight.

I think festool needs to come out with an impact driver!! But that would be yet another $400 tool for the junkies!

Anyone have any experiece with the combination panasonic impact/drill? Seems like a good idea, but from my research seems that price wise, you might as well buy a panasonic impact and a drill.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
I like Green things

Very comfortable, very easy to grab and use in numerous positions. I don't even remember where my 3 impact drivers went to. Trust me, you buy a C12 you will not use your impact driver any more. The other day my buddy got his impact driver and ruined the peaceful silence my C12 and I were enjoying.
http://www.waterfront-woods.com/festool/C12review.pdf Check this out, might answer some more questions. I use mine constantly for running in large GRK structural screws, never phases the C12.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Pro

thanks guys,

Warner, I have read that review. Found it very helpful. Basically, once I do the test drive, I figure I will want one, then I'll just have to find a way to convince the wife to let me get one!!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
I like Green things

I burnt up 2 drills in the same day, took them to be fixed and stopped at Woodcraft on my way home. Walked out 10 minutes later with the C12 and a TS-55. $1100 bucks in ten minutes, damn.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

i got the FEVER now also or is it a pleague! i was browsing ebay. ended up buying 2 mft/3 tables, all kind of qwas dogs and clamps, 42" guide rail. and the guy met me half way saved me shipping and an extra 50 miles each way.!

THANKS EBAY!

OHH almost forgot figured out total if new $1500-$1600

PAID CASH $750 for all including gas and tolls

i see alot of the c12 drills there..but i have to many makitas lxt to switch now!

im hot on the kapex next...cant wait till they hit the ebay or craigs list market
Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
I like Green things

2 tables!! Screw you buddy!! Now I want another one.

Their stuff just works easily and perfectly evertime you get it out.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 11,327

I have the opportunity to use the c12 on several occasions, including today. I still like my compact Makita better. But the c12's small size has its advantages and the battery run time is incredible. But it lacks a bit in power and I don't like the way the clutch works. My buddy loves it, but he has green fever.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 05-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
2 tables!! Screw you buddy!! Now I want another one.

Their stuff just works easily and perfectly evertime you get it out.

i know..i jumped fast..he was selling a planer on e-bay and was showing them on the tables. i wanted 1 so i asked him how much. he said 700 for both..i jumped
Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,102

They look pretty sweet and you get to join the elitest club of festool owners. I've implimented a policy of if it doesn't have lith-ion batteries I don't buy it, last i checked I think the C12 is NiCad. Not enough balls for me either, I occasionally pop a few holes in plates with my 1" auger bits, really heats up the 18's and 14.4's I have, I cant see a 12 clearing the hole.

That being said I want one too, mainly to look at and play with in bed before going to sleep...unfortunatly the misses has passed a rule about spending that much on tools...oh and bringing them to bed.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
They look pretty sweet and you get to join the elitest club of festool owners. I've implimented a policy of if it doesn't have lith-ion batteries I don't buy it, last i checked I think the C12 is NiCad. Not enough balls for me either, I occasionally pop a few holes in plates with my 1" auger bits, really heats up the 18's and 14.4's I have, I cant see a 12 clearing the hole.

That being said I want one too, mainly to look at and play with in bed before going to sleep...unfortunatly the misses has passed a rule about spending that much on tools...oh and bringing them to bed.

they have the c 12 in lith ions now!!..

DAMN YOU FESTOOL>>>DAMN YOU
Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #14
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,102

Quote:
they have the c 12 in lith ions now!!..
Hmmm, at the potential cost of half my house and half of everything I own its still tempting...
Old 05-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #15
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post

Old 05-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #16
Pro

i know im feeling it too...ive been selling off my old stuff on craigslist and ebay...so i can off set there prices. and i am buying used..new there way to hard on the pocket!...only thing new i would buy is the kapex..no seams to be selling them on ebay
Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #17
Pro

i got a nice ts75,2 mft/3 extra blades,clamps,guides,qwas dogs..etc. so far i spent 1200-700(stuff thats been laying around my garage) my out of pocket cost is around $500

i just listed my dw718 if that sells im goin KAPEX+VAC
Old 05-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8train View Post
Well I have been reading and reading and reading about them, and heard a lot of good things. I looked up the closest dealer, and am going to take one for a test drive. I am a little hesitant to drop that kind of change on a cordless drill. But I like the idea of possibly buying the last cordless drill I will use.

I am not dead set on the c12, am also going to check out the newer cordless models. Also, I am trying really really hard not to buy one on impulse. My reckoning is that even if they are the 'best' ones out there, if they are not comfortable in my hands I won't like using them as much.

My current cordless is a dewalt 14.4v model, which since day 1 the clutch has not worked properly. It seems weak. In my experience there is no way I should be able to hold the chuck back when it is set on drill, and that is what is does. Other than that the dewalt has worked like a charm. Battery on it is great, holds a charge for a long time for me.

A friend of mine has an 18v Dewalt, non xrp version. I like the power of it, only thing I noticed is that without the rubber grip, when applying pressure I can REALLY feel the seam on the back of the handle. So my second choice is an 18v Dewalt xrp. I know there may be other options out there that are better, but since some of my other tools are Dewalt 18v, I might as well hang with them since I already have other batteries.

Any thoughts? warnings?

Are the festool cordless drills really all that? Or am I falling for the lust factor?

Opinions are welcome and appreciated

Mike
look what i just found..
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/tls/1151194858.html
Old 05-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #19
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 11,327

You guys seem to have a sickness....I suggest you go to your doctor befor youwallet becomes heavily inflicted.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 05-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Construction Supplier
Rewards Points: 150

Mike,

Let me know what you think of whatever you end up getting from Festool. I have been thinking about brining on that line as well as Fein. We have always had really good experiences with German made products, but when it comes to power tools I am a little bit more leary about manufactures because you never know exactly where they are getting their parts from. The case itself (what you visually see) can be made in the xyz country and yet all the internals can be from somewhere else.

JJ

Advertisement