Keeping All Cordless In The Truck - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Keeping All Cordless In The Truck

Old 12-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Nail Driving Fool

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,333

Keeping All Cordless In The Truck

I've got my trailer set up pretty much how I want it and it is a joy to work out of. I've also still got a crap ton of tools on my truck. I don't know if it's a hold out from when I was working without a trailer or if it's due to the fact that I have a lot of duplicates of tools. But either way my truck is still pretty well stocked despite the fact that I work out of my trailer 90% of the time.

Here lately I've been doing a lot of small projects. Little 2-3 hour jobs that seem to crop up. Most of it is former clients wanting little punch list stuff done. Clients that I want to take care of because I know they will call me for the big jobs as well.

While it makes things nice its not always practical and convenient to drag the trailer out on these 2-3 hour projects. Sometimes it's due to the fact that the trailer is parked on a large job and I don't want to move it. Other times it's because the client has a cramped driveway and it's not worth getting the trailer on site for the particular job.

I keep my truck stocked well enough that I can stop on my way home from a job and do another job. Either way this brings us back to: I have a crap ton of tools on my truck.

I've been thinking back here lately and I can't remember the last "small project" I stopped to do that required more than a fraction of what I'm hauling. In most cases the job only required a small bag of hand tools that would fit behind my truck seat.

I'm thinking about downsizing what I'm hauling. And I think the best way to do this is by going cordless. I keep a corded circular saw and recip saw on my truck. I can't remember a job that required either where I didn't have my trailer on site already. I keep about 200 feet of assorted cords on my truck, the only thing I ever use is the 25 footer.

I think it would greatly simplify things and lighten my load so to speak if I stopped hauling corded tools around. Keep them in the trailer for the big jobs (I've got the trailer on site for those anyway)

I guess what my question is amid all this rambling is: Would you feel comfortable doing service related calls and punch list type work with a good assortment of handtools and a set of cordless tools? I'm thinking drill, impact, recip, and maybe a circular saw along with 4 batteries.

And no I'm not going to take the cordless tools I have in my trailer out, this set on my truck would be in addition to what is already on my trailer.

Long post I know.

<EDIT TO ADD>

And this also brings us around to brand. I'm not going to be working this set of cordless as hard as I do the ones in my trailer. All the cordless in my trailer is Bosch. Not sure I want to spend the money on another set of Bosch to haul around and use maybe a few hours a week. Then again being able to share batteries and have a duplicate on the REALLY BIG jobs would be nice as well.

I'm not talking Ryobi or B&D cheap, but Lowes has some pretty nice deals on some DeWalt 20 volt stuff right now. Which also breaks my rule on all cordless being able to share batteries.

Decisions, decisions........
606-568-7202

Last edited by Robinson1; 12-18-2014 at 09:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robinson1 For This Useful Post:
BradingCon (12-18-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Manager/Diplomat/Builder

Trade: Lead Carpenter
Rewards Points: 392

Re: Keeping All Cordless In The Truck

I think you are on the right track. My work is as a job lead and I'm often running multiple, over lapping, projects, some in full bore production, some in punch list phases and when I have to go do any hands on punch list stuff all I take is generally my basic hand tools, a vacuum and my cordless arsenal. (Which is very similar to what you wrote out.)
You have to be a little smart about what exactly is needed, but it beats hauling around a full load when it's simply not needed.

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Manager/Diplomat/Builder

Trade: Lead Carpenter
Rewards Points: 392

Oh and FWIW, I would keep all my cordless brands/batteries the same. It would drive me insane otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

"I'm thinking about downsizing what I'm hauling."

Food for thought, I was hit a few years back for 7k of my tools on one of my box trucks. A couple of months ago I was hit for $1500.....the more you have = the more you have exposed.

Now I look at my daily run sheet and determine what stays at home.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Business Owner

Trade: Schluter Systems ASD, General Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 330

Sounds like a good enough excuse for new tools to me
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
Robinson1 (12-18-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

I can almost guarantee the minute you start leaving tools at home you will have a need for them.

I always like cordless tools for little 2-3 hour projects, no messing around with cords. Like you all my batteries are the same, so if I can't get through 3 hours on a small job with them I am doing something wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to SectorSecurity For This Useful Post:
Spencer (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson1 View Post
And this also brings us around to brand. I'm not going to be working this set of cordless as hard as I do the ones in my trailer. All the cordless in my trailer is Bosch.

I use to have the same mindset about carrying the same cordless brand across the board, (I run bosch 18v too with maybe 75% of their cordless lineup with 8 4ah and 12+ slim packs) but I found a lot of times another brand would have something I really wished bosch had an equivalent of.

I took the plunge and started buying 18v milwaukee tools. I started with their led light products and some of their more specialty use tools a la right angle impact, cordless bandsaw, etc. I can say I couldn't be happier. I can't say I'm bothered much by having a second set of batteries to maintain and the cost of batteries on Amazon is reasonable vs Home Depot pricing. It's at the point where I would happily drop coin on their essential cordless tools like the impact and drill if I needed to replace my Bosch stuff.

Something you may also want to consider is getting a good 12v system like milwaukee or bosch. Their a lot easier on price and what you lose in raw power you gain in portability. You could fit a hammer drill, impact, one handed sawzall in a tool case with essential fasteners and accessories for under 400. Perfect for those small jobs in my eyes.

Edit: plus who doesn't like buying more tools...haha
Old 12-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 15,263

When I buy tools (or anything, for that matter), I consider not the price, but mainly the DIFFERENCE in the price between what I'm considering. Assuming I will purchase, say a $200 set vs. a $350 set....that's a $150 decision to me, not a $350 one. Then I ask what that $150 is getting me over the lesser. Get it? Works for me anyhow. Doing it this way, I rarely/never regret purchases. But when I compromise with lesser, it's like a thorn in my shoe.

This thinking works for buying new vs. used, too.

Just for the heck of it, it works for big purchase like family vacations, too. Nothing like spending say, $3000 on a trip, then quibbling with yourself on a $200 excursion or something fun. If you look at it as a percentage of the whole trip, and the "extra fun", you're a fool not to spend it if you have the means. (This is how I fight my inner tightwad nature, and it works! No regrets.)

Last edited by MarkJames; 12-19-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 5,038

I have decided to downsize my corded tools also.
I have started a pile in my shop of old corded tools that haven't left the building in more than 15 years.
I'll keep electric worm drive, a 7 1/4, but I think I'm going cordless for everything else.

Been a Makita cordless diehard for 30 years.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
I have decided to downsize my corded tools also.
I have started a pile in my shop of old corded tools that haven't left the building in more than 15 years.
I'll keep electric worm drive, a 7 1/4, but I think I'm going cordless for everything else.

Been a Makita cordless diehard for 30 years.
Nuts....I wanted to go with Makita but my fat hand doesn't fit the grips so well. I went with Milwaukee for that reason.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 686

I seem to do fine with all cordless on most of the work I do. I have one of the Dewalt extra large tough boxes loaded with all cordless. Fits nicely in the back seat of my truck. Medium tough box with hand tools, small tough box for driver/drill bits and another for cordless oscillating and Fein. All packs in nicely with plenty of room for other tools. Learned it from my days of working in Boston.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by alboston View Post
I seem to do fine with all cordless on most of the work I do. I have one of the Dewalt extra large tough boxes loaded with all cordless. Fits nicely in the back seat of my truck. Medium tough box with hand tools, small tough box for driver/drill bits and another for cordless oscillating and Fein. All packs in nicely with plenty of room for other tools. Learned it from my days of working in Boston.
I've been rethinking how to carry that stuff and that sounds like a nice solution. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #13

Trade: Carpenter/Timberframer
Rewards Points: 142

I work mostly with a co-worker and we do a lot of 2-3 hour jobs or 2-3 day jobs. Mostly its millwork installation. I've quite a bit of downsizing of tools since I've started. Most jobs we end up needing everything, or a 1 1/2 sets of tools. One person has most of his full set then the other brings a half set.

I don't have a trailer(we don't usually have room for one on site) but have worked out of one. If I was doing things the way you describe I would probably have one 25-50' cord, a tool pouch or box in my truck with misc hand tools and a bag/box of cordless tools. Anything extra I needed I could grab from the trailer or shop before I left for the job.

I don't think I would duplicate sets, hand or cordless unless I had a crew that I didn't want to steal a set from. I don't want 2 different sets and be wondering which one I put that pack of sawmill blades in.
Now if you get calls in the evening and are taking care of them before you are back on the site your trailer is the next day, then you may want to change this formula.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #14
Nail Driving Fool

Rewards Points: 1,333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumphri View Post
I work mostly with a co-worker and we do a lot of 2-3 hour jobs or 2-3 day jobs. Mostly its millwork installation. I've quite a bit of downsizing of tools since I've started. Most jobs we end up needing everything, or a 1 1/2 sets of tools. One person has most of his full set then the other brings a half set.

I don't have a trailer(we don't usually have room for one on site) but have worked out of one. If I was doing things the way you describe I would probably have one 25-50' cord, a tool pouch or box in my truck with misc hand tools and a bag/box of cordless tools. Anything extra I needed I could grab from the trailer or shop before I left for the job.

I don't think I would duplicate sets, hand or cordless unless I had a crew that I didn't want to steal a set from. I don't want 2 different sets and be wondering which one I put that pack of sawmill blades in.
Now if you get calls in the evening and are taking care of them before you are back on the site your trailer is the next day, then you may want to change this formula.
I do this a lot.
606-568-7202
Old 12-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,500

I used to think I needed to keep all cordless tools uniform. In the last couple years I have purchased a couple different brands and different voltage. Not really on purpose, but it just happened that way. I started to like this because it gave me hands on experience with different brands. I can weed out things I like and dis-like. For example the Dewalt 20 v drills/impact LED lights come on when you touch the trigger and stay on for about 10 seconds. The 18v only come on when you are holding the trigger. The Milwaukee drill stops completly when the battery is low. This might save the battery, but it you are always doing something when the battery dies instanty.

In you case I don't think it will matter if the brands are different. You are leaving one set in your truck while you work. When you go to do the 2 hour extra job, you are leaving your other cordless tools in the trailer, on the job (or wherever but not with you). Since you aren't going to be using them at the same place it shouldn't make a difference if there are 4 extra batteries in your trailer since your trailer won't be with you.

The exception might be that if all your batteries in your trailer are dead, you could go to the truck and grab an extra battery. But in that case you could also grab the drill that went with that battery, and keep going.

Hope that makes sense. I say experiment with different brands, if you want. I do and have started to like comparing different tools.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #16
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

I make my money by

1) having the best tools, and the right tools for the job with me, and

2) having them stored in an easily assessable and quickly deployable way. I keep groups of tools together. I have a drill bag (veto xl with 20v drill and impact with well stocked bit assortment), hand tool bag (veto xxl), cordless tool bag (the whole lineup of dewalt 20v tools), etc. This allows me to grab bags and take them to the work area and waste little time doing the back and forth thing for individual tools.

This is just a thought, but what about switching from a truck to a van. Pull the trailer with an E-350 and keep the van stocked also. I was dead set on pulling a trailer around with a truck until a member convinced me otherwise. I am so glad I switched to a van.

For the type of service work you describe a van is perfect for "mobility" IMO. I do larger jobs and smaller jobs, the van works great. I have an 08 F-250 also. As I grow I plan to continue to utilize full size vans that are capable of hauling a trailer well. That way I can park a trailer on site and still have the mobility of a van. It costs more keeping two vehicles stocked with tools but time is money.

Some guys can do great with with next to nothing for tools and don't seem to mind. That isn't me. I like to have everything I need and can't stand not having something. I can "improvise" and "make due" but don't like to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spencer For This Useful Post:
dkillianjr (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #17
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdude View Post
Oh and FWIW, I would keep all my cordless brands/batteries the same. It would drive me insane otherwise.

https://www.facebook.com/PunchlistCarpentry?ref=hl
Old 12-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,754

I think its crazy to completely phase out electric tools. Drills...sure but saws, sawzalls, grinders, multi tools, jigsaws hell no. Im sure cordless is convient, I use the hell out of my cordless circular but these batteries are expensive and technology changes frequently too...Long before a cheap corded electric tool looses its value.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
hammerone40 (12-26-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Building Renovator
Rewards Points: 326

Running cordless is not a bad idea, works well for many different projects. Right now I'm doing most with cordless as it's a convenience for me. Only thing to keep in mind is if your going to rely on cordless you gotta make sure you have enough batteries, ie more then 2 batteries. Sometimes you can't charge them fast enough. However, for small jobs best way to go!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #20
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 6,706

I switched to all cordless yesterday when I got my new Fuel stuff in. Corded stuff is in the trailer.

Advertisement

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
donerightwyo (12-27-2014)