Hitachi C12LSH 12" Sliding Miter Saw - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Hitachi C12LSH 12" Sliding Miter Saw

Old 04-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 11,273
Question

Hitachi C12LSH 12" Sliding Miter Saw

Hitachi C12LSH 12" Sliding Dual Compound Miter Saw with Digital Display & Laser Marker

Does anybody have/use this sliding miter saw? I'm thinking of getting one and I was hoping to get a review on it. What about the blade that comes with it? I do mostly trim work with the miter saw, am I going to need to upgrade the blade? Or is the one that comes with it an excellent quality blade. I will be upgrading from the C8FB 8 1/2" slider. Thanks.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Hitachi C12LSH 12" Sliding Miter Saw

I have only heard incredibly BAD things about that monstrosity from numerous people I trust. I would avoid it.

I have been hearing many good things about the Makita 12" slide. I have a Bosch 4412 and like the upfront controls, but you need a forklift to maneuver it.

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 08:25 AM   #3
jack of all, master of 1

Trade: carpenter/roofer
Rewards Points: 500

I'm still using my 15 yr. old Dewalt 12" non slide but am thinking of a larger unit. I'm leary of the laser guides. 1.)My supplier gave me an Irwin mountable laser guide for mine but it shot 3/16 off of cut. Didn't see the sense in figuring in the 3/16 difference when my eyes still allow me to hit the crows foot within a 64th. 2.) I just hate trusting a mechanical feature that can vibrate out possibly and cost more than it's worth. Are the manufacturer installed shooting on the mark? Do they stay in check? Is there a plus to it if you can site a crow's foot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

I've got the new Dewalt slider and got the laser for free, it certainly is accurate once you set it up, but you have to adjust for kerf if you switch back and forth which side of the blade you are cutting on. But it has it's uses. When I was cutting hardwood flooring with it, all the cuts are on the same side of the blade so once it was set up you just - bam, bam, bam - along you go... very nice not to have to do the old lower the blade to the wood see where it hits... never realized how tedius and how much time that wastes until I had the laser on there.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

I also don't trust the lasers, the laser line is often too thick and can't be very precise with that. i replaced my dewalt 12" non slider with the 12" dual bevel slider, i really like the saw, one of the only dewalt tools i own,. i looked at that horrible hitachi contraption the other day and it looks too awkward to use. i do like the digital display though. makes the really precise angles easier to find.

i don't know anyone that has one though. glad to hear that it's not all that great.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ
i do like the digital display though. makes the really precise angles easier to find.
That's the problem...The digital readout is in tenths of a degree, but the fine adjustment gearing on the table is only capable of 1/2 degree clicks.

Totally terrible engineering....
Old 04-20-2006, 10:32 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ
I also don't trust the lasers, the laser line is often too thick and can't be very precise with that.
The Dewalt one is very thin, like a hair width. I'm not convinced it's the greatest thing ever though, time will tell...
Old 07-20-2006, 12:21 AM   #8

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

The Hitachi C12LSh probably has the best Laser System supplied by ANY factory right now. Laser can be adjusted: allows cuts to Left of pencil line, to the Right of the line, or directly onto your pencil line. (laser not attached to the blade arbor) Also, when you are lowering the saw to cut, about 3/4 down, the laser temporarily disappears, letting you verify your cut! You see where the blade is going to cut in relation to your pencil line.
-old school style, but with a laser!!! It is a great sytem.
About the person wanting the decimal system to be in tenths of a degree - who cuts their miters to tenths of a degree? It is fabulous that Hitachi allows you to cut, plus or minus, another .5 of a degree, for tight fitting joints. Is there another saw that you can do this on, and be digitally accurate? -I don't think so. You have to otherwise poke and hope, .5 degree, on any other saw.
You can also get it to cut to 13 1/2" like the Ridgid MS1290LZ. (which by the way, according to Ridgids forum, tons of problems with these saws, check it out for yourself. Use their search engine to locate forum specifically)
Hitachi features Soft Start System, doesn't jump. Very Quiet. Rivals quietness with the new Makita Slider.
It is a great saw, I take mine and wouldn't look back. Anything else looks out of date.
Hope All is Well

Advertisement