Help - Air Compressor Accessories - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Help - Air Compressor Accessories

Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #1

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 77

Help - Air Compressor Accessories

I have a DeWALT D55146 4.5 gallon, 200 PSI Air Compressor. I've had nothing but problems with it that's another story. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Anyway, I'm getting prodigious amounts of water coming out with the air. We drain it completely following each use, so it's not an issue of accumulation over time.

I'd like to buy an air-dryer accessory for the outgoing air, but most of the ones I've seen won't fit this design. The two issues are configuration and pressure (200+ psi).

Has anyone found a filter that will work?

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
The Old Master

Trade: Plumbing & Heating
Rewards Points: 83

Re: Help - Air Compressor Accessories

[quote=Kevin75;774449]

I'd like to buy an air-dryer accessory for the outgoing air, but most of the ones I've seen won't fit this design. The two issues are configuration and pressure (200+ psi).

Question that compressor has per Dewalt, 200 psi tank pressure.
but regulated pressure is what 140 ..

W.W. GRAINER Sells condendsate separators for 150 psi units.
Could not you make a little stand to hold the separator and feed it with a short hose. Inconvience would be better than getting water in the tools.
You mentioned dryer ... I assume you mean separator ... A dryer would cost you thousands and be bigger that your compressor.

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

These work well and are small. Put that at the working end of the hose or on the tool.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9833_200319833
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 346

I bought a seperator from harbor freight. I have the same compressor and it has worked pretty good for me in the last 2 years. The hose connectors are getting kinda hard to push a hose in. And recently it started sounding a little rough, not sure why. I do notice that it gets a fair amount of moisture in the tank, think it has to do with compressing the air to 200psi creates more heat which leads to moisture.

What problems are you having with your compressor?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Fencing / Decks
Rewards Points: 500

I do not have a suggestion for you but I am curious as to what you are running at 200psi?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contracting/CM
Rewards Points: 250

I have the same compressor, no problems but just the other day the gauge displaying regulated pressure quit. I can still regulate the outgoing pressure, just no display. Curapa questions, outgoing pressure isn't 200 psi, just tank pressure. Its 4.5 gallons pressured at 200 psi, takes up less space than 120 psi. A note, check out Max's 400 psi compressor. Back to the original post, I too have alot of water drain out of my tank, the only thing I can think that would cause this is the higher tank pressure. If you install the water separator after the regulator you only have to find one rated for you regulated pressure.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #7

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumLLC View Post
What problems are you having with your compressor?
I had to replace the regulator, power switch, and now the pressure gauge. These all happened a few months apart, and it all started after the warranty expired. It's more nuisance than expense.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

I don't know too much about it, and have only had Porter-Cable compressors (with no problems), - - but it sounds like it's running too hot, creating all that extra moisture. Are you running it on a 25-foot cord or less, and is the cord 12-guage??

Also, run it on a 20-amp circuit, even if it only calls for a 15.

Right or wrong, that's all I got . . .
Old 10-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Electrical & Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

Old 11-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
Roofing Sage

Trade: Thoroughbred Roofer
Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin75 View Post

I have a DeWALT D55146 4.5 gallon, 200 PSI Air Compressor. I've had nothing but problems with it that's another story. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Anyway, I'm getting prodigious amounts of water coming out with the air. We drain it completely following each use, so it's not an issue of accumulation over time.

Has anyone found a filter that will work?

Thanks!
I bought mine spankin' brand new.

Crapped out on 2nd or 3rd job.
Took it in for service.

TWICE!

The 2nd time they charged me for a new motor!

Used it halfway through 5th job...CRAPPED OUT AGAIN!

I could accept a particular model being a bad model.

What I can't accept is DeWalt's Customer Service.

I had to jump through so many hoops and they just refused to honor their warranty (which is the reason I payed premium for this compressor...I expected them to be there to take care of it and to give me a "loaner" compressor which at the time is what they promised!).

So much downtime, so much lost money...I am going to donate my compressor to the local college to burn at the next football games victory (they usually burn couches).

BY THE WAY...
I used to be the biggest DeWalt fan.

Now, they will never get another penny from me.

Ken Hendricks

Last edited by 2ndGen; 11-14-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Fire Suppression Equipment Sales & Service
Rewards Points: 324

I have 4 of the DeWalt compressors. Each has been in for warrenty, before and after the warrenty period. Each has been fixed under warrenty, except for one that needed a new regulator. That compressor was about 2 years out of warrenty. It was fixed for a resonable cost. They even put a wheel/tire on once because the tire was flat. Then they apologized about the used tire. It was fixed, that was important to me.

The only problem, they do not understand why I do not immediatly drive the 300 miles to the warrenty station to get my compressor. they call at least 3 or 4 times before they understand that Oregon consists of more than just Portland.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
Roofing Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I have 4 of the DeWalt compressors. Each has been in for warrenty, before and after the warrenty period. Each has been fixed under warrenty, except for one that needed a new regulator. That compressor was about 2 years out of warrenty. It was fixed for a resonable cost. They even put a wheel/tire on once because the tire was flat. Then they apologized about the used tire. It was fixed, that was important to me.

The only problem, they do not understand why I do not immediatly drive the 300 miles to the warrenty station to get my compressor. they call at least 3 or 4 times before they understand that Oregon consists of more than just Portland.

That's a good issue to have...I had to CALL THEM over and over to get any answers.

I love warranties, but I hate them having to be necessary.

I only have 1 compressor at a time.
When it's down, "I'm" down.

One I get my new Rol Air, I'm also going to have a back-up compressor
(probably a pancake, just to get me through a job).
Ken Hendricks

Last edited by 2ndGen; 11-15-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #13

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 75

I have the d55168 compressor same 200psi but has the 15 gallon tank, it has been the loudest compressor I've ever owned, sounded like the something was loose inside the thing, I figured it was just the way it was but after about 1 year to a year and a half and about 30 hrs of work time on it, I found why it was so loud, the piston is a two piece design and the bolt that holds it together must have been loose, the bolt snaped off. Only had about 15 mins of work left to do for that job and didn't have another compressor with us so we had to go back to that job the next day to finish . Twenty couple dollars in parts and an hr to put back together and it is like new again but alllllooooooottttttt quitter!

I don't have any problems with it getting excessive amounts of water in it.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
Roofing Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallnflorida View Post
I have the d55168 compressor same 200psi but has the 15 gallon tank, it has been the loudest compressor I've ever owned, sounded like the something was loose inside the thing, I figured it was just the way it was but after about 1 year to a year and a half and about 30 hrs of work time on it, I found why it was so loud, the piston is a two piece design and the bolt that holds it together must have been loose, the bolt snaped off. Only had about 15 mins of work left to do for that job and didn't have another compressor with us so we had to go back to that job the next day to finish . Twenty couple dollars in parts and an hr to put back together and it is like new again but alllllooooooottttttt quitter!

I don't have any problems with it getting excessive amounts of water in it.
Mine was initially quiet...almost too quiet.

I called DeWalt and they said it was supposed to be quiet.
Then it died.
Took it in, they fixed it, it came back louder.
I thought okay, they "fixed" it, so it's supposed to be perfect now.
Crapped out again!
Took it back and it came back even LOUDER!
Crapped out after 1 1/2 jobs AGAIN!

DeWalt!
Ken Hendricks
Old 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #15

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 75

I didn't even take it back to them, I figure if there too stupid to put it together right the first time that they would deff. fail at fixing it!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Back to Q#5. Why do you need 200 PSI? Most tools only need 100 or less. It takes a lot of energy to get to 200.

As for the water, you can go to a coalescing filter. I use this product http://www.smcpneumatics.com/?gclid=...FRQhnAodYVYdrA If you need REALLY dry air you can go to a membrane type dryer.

Pneumatics 'R' Us.

Advertisement

Albert Einstein