Which Graco Handheld Airless To Buy? - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Which Graco Handheld Airless To Buy?

Old 01-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Which Graco Handheld Airless To Buy?

What have you guys got and how do you find it. I see lovers has the plus and Sherwin Williams has the pro. Is there much difference between them 2 top models?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Whatever the customer wants
Rewards Points: 2,238

Re: Which Graco Handheld Airless To Buy?

Oh man, their handheld sprayer naming convention is the worst of any company I've tried to research. Between the pro, plus, II, proshot, truecoat ..... exhausting. They have different naming conventions/products depending on the retailer.

There was a thread on this not long ago I think. I have the Graco TrueCoat Pro II, which is the corded version. I really like it for doing small cabinet/furniture stuff, pre painting trim and the odd door/mouldings/ceiling. In hindsight I should have got the cordless. My reasoning at the time was that I figured I'd use it a few times a year and the proprietary batteries would die before the tool, but the cord is pain in the @ss.

The proshot (shewin williams versions) tips do not fit on the trueCoats, so figure out where you're most likely to buy tips (if you buy them locally) as that may influence your decision.

Other than that, they're sweet little machines. Fairly quick to clean, can shoot most anything. They don't sell the really small tips for the handhelds, lowest you can go is a 311, so if you're doing a lot of small stuff that can get annoying.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Philament For This Useful Post:
BCConstruction (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

Some will shoot lacquer, most wont. mine does not. some of the new ones have active suction with collapsing plastic inserts. Mnw is about 4 years old. It is handy
The Following User Says Thank You to charimon For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by charimon View Post
Some will shoot lacquer, most wont. mine does not. some of the new ones have active suction with collapsing plastic inserts. Mnw is about 4 years old. It is handy

What model is yours?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philament View Post
Oh man, their handheld sprayer naming convention is the worst of any company I've tried to research. Between the pro, plus, II, proshot, truecoat ..... exhausting. They have different naming conventions/products depending on the retailer.

There was a thread on this not long ago I think. I have the Graco TrueCoat Pro II, which is the corded version. I really like it for doing small cabinet/furniture stuff, pre painting trim and the odd door/mouldings/ceiling. In hindsight I should have got the cordless. My reasoning at the time was that I figured I'd use it a few times a year and the proprietary batteries would die before the tool, but the cord is pain in the @ss.

The proshot (shewin williams versions) tips do not fit on the trueCoats, so figure out where you're most likely to buy tips (if you buy them locally) as that may influence your decision.

Other than that, they're sweet little machines. Fairly quick to clean, can shoot most anything. They don't sell the really small tips for the handhelds, lowest you can go is a 311, so if you're doing a lot of small stuff that can get annoying.

Not read the reviews on the cordless yet. Way thinking the cable wouldn't be any worse than my hvlp hose. What issues did it cause you.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
What model is yours?
I will look when i get to the shop, I cannot remember off the topof my head
The Following User Says Thank You to charimon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philament View Post

You can get the FF tips for the Trucoat.
The Following User Says Thank You to EricBrancard For This Useful Post:
Philament (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,732

As Eric said you can change the holder and install a FF tip. If you don't change the holder you use the RAC tips.

Look at the Tru Coat 360, it uses pressurized liners like a PPS system on an HVLP. This allows you to spray with the gun in any position.

Graco had some issues with their batteries, from what I understand they now use Panasonic batteries.

Tom

Last edited by tjbnwi; 01-07-2016 at 10:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
Philament (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #9
diplomat

Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Rewards Points: 1,550

I don't even remember what model I have, because I rarely use it. Weighs 40 times more than a regular gun, and you can't tilt it too much. Great for spraying a couple doors though.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrancard View Post
You can get the FF tips for the Trucoat.
Pretty sure that's only for the TrueCoat Pro FineFinish gun. They go down to .008. Smallest I was able to source for the TrueCoat Pro II was a 311, but I was going based off what my paint supplier was telling me.

http://www.graco.com/content/dam/gra...342355EN-D.pdf
Old 01-07-2016, 10:15 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
As Eric said you can change the holder and install a FF tip. If you don't change the holder you use the RAC tips.

Tom
I'd like to hear more about this. I read on some blog once where a guy took apart the truecoat tip and could use that RAC tips. Is this what you're talking about? I'd love to know more about that. It's a real pain getting in the TrueCoat tips.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Not read the reviews on the cordless yet. Way thinking the cable wouldn't be any worse than my hvlp hose. What issues did it cause you.
Just for those time when you're spraying trim out on the lawn, or downwards in general. You have to remember to keep the cord out of the way. When you're shooting 16' trim pieces, its easy to forget about the dragging cord.
The Following User Says Thank You to Philament For This Useful Post:
BCConstruction (01-08-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #13
Pro

The tip guard can be change to accept different tips.

http://www.graco.com/us/en/products/...ip-guards.html

Tom
Old 01-08-2016, 12:54 AM   #14
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10,170

I own the Proshot 2, it's an awesome little sprayer. It can be rebuilt once too. So you'll get twice the life out of it. I always paint balconies on the ground twice, then I spray all the hardware, buckets, blocking, and fingerprints, etc., with the Graco Proshot. Mine is the cordless. Two batteries are all I've ever needed. Plenty of spray pressure. It's so nice not having a cord or hose.

I have two paint containers, my guy keeps them full so all I'm doing is spraying. I also use the liners.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Graco handheld airless to buy?-1452232854124.jpg   Which Graco handheld airless to buy?-1452232875312.jpg   Which Graco handheld airless to buy?-1452232895843.jpg  

Last edited by Calidecks; 01-08-2016 at 02:19 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
BBuild (01-08-2016), BCConstruction (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 01:03 AM   #15
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10,170

I have a 211, 311, 315, 511, and I think a 515. I'm not positive but I think those are the tips I have.

I also have a 12" flexible wand.

I would like to say, mine was two years old and both batteries went kaput. I called Graco, they took my address and With zero proof of purchase they sent me out two brand new batteries. Excellent customer service. I also dropped it and broke the plastic housing. No problem sent me out replacement parts free of charge.

I keep the batteries in the fridge at 50% now. I was storing them outside in a metal storage box and the heat probably wasn't the best thing for them.

Edit: yes I have all those tips, the smallest I have is the 211. Nice for shooting intricate parts of handrails, and avoiding as much over spray as possible.

Last edited by Calidecks; 01-08-2016 at 01:24 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
BBuild (01-08-2016), BCConstruction (01-08-2016), Golden view (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I have a 211, 311, 315, 511, and I think a 515. I'm not positive but I think those are the tips I have.

I also have a 12" flexible wand.

I would like to say, mine was two years old and both batteries went kaput. I called Graco, they took my address and With zero proof of purchase they sent me out two brand new batteries. Excellent customer service. I also dropped it and broke the plastic housing. No problem sent me out replacement parts free of charge.

I keep the batteries in the fridge at 50% now. I was storing them outside in a metal storage box and the heat probably wasn't the best thing for them.

Edit: yes I have all those tips, the smallest I have is the 211. Nice for shooting intricate parts of handrails, and avoiding as much over spray as possible.

That's good to hear about the service being good on the unit. Read some reviews and see people were having issues with the battery's going bad. Prob rebranded Makita packs lol.

The other big complaint is battery like and charging. Some saying as much as 90mins to charge a battery. I'm not gonna be doing a ton with it but would hate to end up with 2 flat battery's on a bigger job.

Also the plastic looks brittle. Like that cheap shiny stuff you get in kids plastic drills. I'm not expecting to drop it but it is a tool.

I might have to get over to SW and check one out.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #17
Pro

Well my SW rep said don't mess with the Graco as they are always going wrong and don't last. He gave me this unit to test out. Costs quite a bit more for doing the same thing but can do fine finish with optional head.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 986

What are you using it for anyways?
Old 01-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrancard View Post
What are you using it for anyways?

Doors, crown, base, odds and ends. Not to much. Only thing I'm worried about this model is it being able to spray pro classic straight. My big hvlp can't do that so I will be impressed if this little thing can.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Doors, crown, base, odds and ends. Not to much. Only thing I'm worried about this model is it being able to spray pro classic straight. My big hvlp can't do that so I will be impressed if this little thing can.
The hand held should have no problem spraying PC, Super Paint or Duration.

I spray PC and Super Paint with my HVLP (Fuji Q4). The PC is not thinned and the Super is a 8-10% thin depending on the temperature works really well. I also spray the primers HVLP.

Try warming the paint to 100-110 in warm water (Place the can in warm water, don't pour the paint in it).

Tom

Advertisement