Good Lightweight Drills? - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Good Lightweight Drills?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
Pro
 
Chris G's Avatar
 
Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,096
Rewards Points: 1,210

Good Lightweight Drills?


Looking for suggestions for a good lightweight drill/driver for cabinet adjustment, quick punchlist stuff.
Chris G is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 11-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
Pro
 
RobertCDF's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom deck builder
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 9,177
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


I would see if anyone makes a 12V lithium drill and impact. I think this would be a perfect combo for something light and still have a decent run time.

I have picked up the makita 18V lithiums and they are fairly light so that is always a possiblity.

Advertisement

RobertCDF is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Member
 
pn70's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


Chris, I have the little bosch 10.8 volt litheum drill and it has becaome my favorite and most used tool especially for work that requires finesse... http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...=70084&I=69862

for adjusting cabinet doors to installing door hardware, etc... it ROCKS

you can drill holes with it but you must use the drill bits with the 1/4" hex


Robert mentioned the makita 18 volt ion which is a good suggestion also but much bigger in comparison to the lil bosch. Makita has recently released a smaller and lighter 18V ion drill which comes with 1.5mah batts instead of 3mah batts, weighs in at 3.5lbs, I handled one at my local lumber yard, very nice! here is the link to that drill http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...t&tag=BDF452HW
pn70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
DGR,IABD
 
mdshunk's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central PA
Posts: 9,683
Rewards Points: 2,002

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


I had to special order a Milwaukee 7.2 for trimouts. They aren't a catalog item anymore, but still available by special order. A little over 200 bucks (ouch, I didn't realize that when I ordered it).
mdshunk is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
Pro
 
CE1's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Posts: 886
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


This is my favorite and use it for small close quarter work. I have had it for about a year and have had no problems with it . It seams that the Panasonic batteries are a little better than my SOP Milwaukees's.

Attachment 3307

Last edited by CE1; 12-21-2006 at 09:42 AM.
CE1 is offline  
Old 11-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
Radical Basement Dweller
 
Robie's Avatar
 
Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,948
Rewards Points: 2,586

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


I second the vote for the Bosch 10.8V. I do a lot of cabinet work and use it all the time. I just installed drywall in a bathroom yesterday and used it exclusively. Will probably buy another to keep in the shop.
__________________
Immigration is not supposed to change the character of the nation.
Immigration is supposed to change the character of the immigrant.
Robie is online now  
Old 11-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #7
SAGE
 
sage's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler and Finish Carpenter
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 306
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Looking for suggestions for a good lightweight drill/driver for cabinet adjustment, quick punchlist stuff.
That is exactly what that Bosch 10.8 was made for. I have been averaging 1.75 kitchens a week recently and that little driver makes door and drawer removal, install, and adjustment much less annoying.

If you need a little more than that, I have been using the Rigid 12 volt, light, powerful and runs about $120.00 with 2 batteries and a 20 min charger.
__________________
-Lead from the front, or dont lead at all-
sage is offline  
Old 11-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
Moderator
 
Double-A's Avatar
 
Trade: GC - Remodeling Specialists
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,617
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CE1 View Post
This is my favorite and use it for small close quarter work. I have had it for about a year and have had no problems with it . It seams that the Panasonic batteries are a little better than my SOP Milwaukees's.

Attachment 3307
Did you have the clutch set too high when you screwed in that last box, CE? I noticed the hole in the drywall.
__________________
"My clients’ wishes are the center of my attention." -- David Guido, a contractor in Woodstock, N.Y.
New York Times, July 20, 2006
Double-A is offline  
Old 11-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
Pro
 
CE1's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Posts: 886
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-A View Post
Did you have the clutch set too high when you screwed in that last box, CE? I noticed the hole in the drywall.
"Armed, Dangerous and Ready to Work"
CE1 is offline  
Old 11-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
Student of Life
 
Murphy's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling, Restoration, and Repair
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midlothian VA
Posts: 208
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


I'll probably be laughed at for this but Ive got this black and decker adjustable angle drill that I basically use as a power screwdriver I bought for $39 and I have left it in the rain a bunch of times had it 4 years and it's my favorite tool. Light and compact runs for days on one charge never changed the battery. Murph
Murphy is offline  
Old 11-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #11
Pro
 
Dustball's Avatar
 
Trade: Project Manager/Licensed Remodeler
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 756
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pn70 View Post
Chris, I have the little bosch 10.8 volt litheum drill and it has becaome my favorite and most used tool especially for work that requires finesse... http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...=70084&I=69862

for adjusting cabinet doors to installing door hardware, etc... it ROCKS

you can drill holes with it but you must use the drill bits with the 1/4" hex


Robert mentioned the makita 18 volt ion which is a good suggestion also but much bigger in comparison to the lil bosch. Makita has recently released a smaller and lighter 18V ion drill which comes with 1.5mah batts instead of 3mah batts, weighs in at 3.5lbs, I handled one at my local lumber yard, very nice! here is the link to that drill http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...t&tag=BDF452HW
I bought the Bosch 10.8v driver today and I likey! Charged up both batteries in a half hour each and used it this evening to disassemble some kitchen cabinets and remove some doors. Handled the 20+ year old screws without a problem.
Dustball is offline  
Old 11-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #12
Pro
 
Downeast's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Painter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 440
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


I got the Bosch 10.8 and am liking it.
Downeast is offline  
Old 11-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #13
SAGE
 
sage's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler and Finish Carpenter
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 306
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
I'll probably be laughed at for this but Ive got this black and decker adjustable angle drill that I basically use as a power screwdriver I bought for $39 and I have left it in the rain a bunch of times had it 4 years and it's my favorite tool. Light and compact runs for days on one charge never changed the battery. Murph
No laughing at all. For $39 bucks you been gettin it done for 4 years! Nothing wrong with that at all. All we look for is reliable tools that help us get it done. Cudos.
__________________
-Lead from the front, or dont lead at all-
sage is offline  
Old 11-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #14
ALL VINYL
 
all vinyl's Avatar
 
Trade: VINYL SIDING CARPENTRY
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: HAZLET NJ
Posts: 220
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


i'm using a 18 volt skill that just died and i can't find any batteries for it but 20 windows a day and you don't even feal the wait like the robie of wich is a great screw gun for demo but the skill for rock cabinets what ever is great
all vinyl is offline  
Old 11-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #15
Pro
 
Chris G's Avatar
 
Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,096
Rewards Points: 1,210

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


Thanks for the replies. I love that Bosch. Almost $200 around here though! It's an insurance replacement for my old dewalt 7.2, and since they don't make the 7.2 anymore, the ins co. requires a replacement cost for something similar. Hopefull the Bosch classifies as 'something similar'.
Chris G is offline  
Old 11-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #16
Pro
 
Chris G's Avatar
 
Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,096
Rewards Points: 1,210

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


Just picked up the Bosch. Sweet. Bought a $10 chuck adapter for drill bits as well.
Chris G is offline  
Old 11-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #17
It is what it is
 
doubleaction's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Remodeling, Concrete
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hell, MI
Posts: 347
Rewards Points: 252

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


I have been trying to decide between the bosch of this hitachi
http://www.hitachipowertools.com/sto...th=1,2,19,p563,
doubleaction is offline  
Old 11-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #18
Pro
 
Downeast's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Painter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 440
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Just picked up the Bosch. Sweet. Bought a $10 chuck adapter for drill bits as well.
Chuck adapter for it ???? Replaces or fits over the existing seat?
Downeast is offline  
Old 11-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #19
Pro
 
Chris G's Avatar
 
Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,096
Rewards Points: 1,210

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeast View Post
Chuck adapter for it ???? Replaces or fits over the existing seat?
Looks like this:

It's not very well made though, a little off center. But if I really needed to drill a hole or two and didn't have another drill with me, it would work fine.
Attached Images
 
Chris G is offline  
Old 11-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #20
Pro
 
Downeast's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Painter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 440
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Good Lightweight Drills?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Looks like this:

It's not very well made though, a little off center. But if I really needed to drill a hole or two and didn't have another drill with me, it would work fine.

Cool ,thanks for the pic, Ill pick one up.

Advertisement

Downeast is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is that marketing tool a good idea or a cheap one? WaltG Marketing & Sales 5 03-20-2007 09:15 PM
Key Elements to Being a Good Businessperson elvinstheman Business 13 03-16-2007 02:44 PM
Crawfords vs Lightweight for new construction nahudso Painting & Finish Work 1 11-09-2005 03:47 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?