Good Lightweight All-around Hammer Recommendation? - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Good Lightweight All-around Hammer Recommendation?

Old 11-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #1

Trade: Remodelling and general construction
Rewards Points: 4

Good Lightweight All-around Hammer Recommendation?

Hey guys, I am new here. I recently started working for a remodeling company and while the boss provides tools for his employees, they are super unorganized. They don't wear tool belts and have their tools all over the place and end up borrowing from each other and most of them go missing. So I decided to get my own tools.

I ordered all the other essentials but not the hammer as I feel like I will be using the hammer for most my job and I want to get a really good one. So I decided that I'd ask here first.

For hammer stuff, my job varies really. One day I could be doing framing for the entire day, or just demo-ing, or sidings even depending if all the nailers are taken. The reason I want a lightweight one is because I could be swinging the hammer ALL day and I don't drive and sometimes would have to go home by public transport that takes about an hour. I just want to minimize the amount weight I have on my backpack. I know it sounds silly but after working the whole day I don't wanna lug around anymore weight on my back.

What is a good lightweight hammer that is pretty much all-rounder? Thanks

Last edited by mommozz; 11-11-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 318

Re: Good Lightweight All-around Hammer Recommendation?

My every day hammer is the new black 16oz. smooth faced Estwing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
Bubble stick operator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 60

My edc is a 20 oz smooth face rip, Stanley all metal. It might be a little heavier in the backpack, but I'd call it a good all-rounder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
Safety Third

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 968

I personally use and recommend the Stiletto Ti-Bone 15oz. It's pretty light and I've abused the heck out of it in commercial/industrial work, as well as my dabblings in reno work. If you're unable or unwilling to drop that much coin on a hammer out the gate, which I'm willing to bet is the case (totally understandable), I'd say look at the 14oz hickory handle Stiletto's. Either smooth or milled face, but that is up to you. For finish and siding you'd want the smooth, but with framing/demo the milled face is best.
For the best of both worlds, you could look at Hardcore Hammers. They have a smooth ring around a recessed milled centre. Don't know the weight, but wood handles are usually lighter anyway.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Whatever the customer wants
Rewards Points: 2,246

Love this hammer.
If it was my only hammer, I would get the smooth face instead of the serrated.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #6
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 438

No way I'd have a Stiletto on a jobsite where everyone just leaves their tools around. The Dewalt 20oz would probably work well for your purposes and it's cheap enough to replace without getting all pissed off.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Union Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philament View Post
Love this hammer.
If it was my only hammer, I would get the smooth face instead of the serrated.
came to post.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:09 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpenter/joiner
Rewards Points: 372

I use this one,just took a flap disk to the face I'v got no need for a waffle face great hammer though. http://www.vaughanmfg.com/shopping/P...e__CF2-HC.aspx
Old 11-12-2016, 12:52 AM   #9
Safety Third

Rewards Points: 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
No way I'd have a Stiletto on a jobsite where everyone just leaves their tools around. The Dewalt 20oz would probably work well for your purposes and it's cheap enough to replace without getting all pissed off.
Since our boy here is talking about taking his tools home with him every day, I'm just going to assume that he is also willing to keep an eye on his investment. You can find one off ebay for what? $75 and probably free shipping? That's not too bad. Up to him, and I definitely get where you're coming from Ethan.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:26 AM   #10

Trade: Framing and finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 200

I love my 15 oz Stiletto TiBone. The nail puller on the side is amazing; I've pulled out stubborn ring shank 16d's with ease when a cat's paw would barely wiggle them.

I love my hardwood handle Stiletto too but I *only* use it for framing since any demo work or a lot of nail pulling can loosen the head. That thing is craaaazy light.

But yeah if you work somewhere that everyone is always borrowing tools better put some colored tape and your name on your tools! I use hot pink duct tape. Makes em easy to see in the debris too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,190

Vaughn 20oz, smooth face, 16" handle, fiberglass handle.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:48 PM   #12
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,500

20 Oz smooth estwing with a rip claw is my go to hammer for most things in remodeling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 288

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but... I love the 16oz straight claw hammer I got from Harbor Freight for $5. It's not their cheapest one, but the "Professional" it fits nice in my hand, nice rubber cushion and absorbs vibration really well. I've had and used better hammers, but I just like this one. Had it for a few years, but I do remodeling not hammering all day doing framing, that's what a nail gun is for.

Good for you being better and caring about being organized. It matters and makes a big difference. I work alone most days, but I make a habit of always wearing my tool belt while I'm working. Always having a Tape, Pencil, Marker, Knife, Hammer, and 6-in-1 Screwdriver handy saves me a lot of time. Your boss will also notice that, and in a good way.

Advertisement