Freaking Home Depot! - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Freaking Home Depot!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Freaking Home Depot!

Last month I took my newish 24volt Ridgid drill to my local HD, because one battery died and my drill kept getting stuck between gears... I had bought the combo pack with reciprocating saw, flashlight & drill about 9 months earlier...

So I hand them my credit card so they can look up my purchase including the 1 year warranty that they sold me, and they can't find my purchase because their system only goes back 90 days! WTF!

What's the point of a "lifetime warranty" if they aren't gonna honor it when something breaks! it's not like I can buy Ridgid anywhere else!

I didn't register the damn thing and I haven't found my receipt yet... and the fact that they can search my in store warranty with my ID or Credit card has got me fuming... I'll be shopping at lowes anytime I have a choice!

It's kinda like bringing a bitten big mac to any MacDonald's and asking for a new one done right, and the manager asking you for a receipt! While standing under a huge banner that reads: Life time warranty!

Son-uva-B!+<H!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #2
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

Re: Freaking Home Depot!

Ask the service desk to get the accounting dept. involved. They looked up a receipt for my Ridgid tile saw a couple of months ago that was over a year old...they can do it, just don't want to.

Advertisement

Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 01-05-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

Definitely a bummer but a couple lessons to learn: HD is for homeowners, it is not a tool shop for professionals, and: keep your receipts, you need to anyway. Just some thoughts.
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
The Following User Says Thank You to reveivl For This Useful Post:
Cdat (01-05-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 278

good luck with this.

been over 5 months and still havent received a replacement battery.

its not HD, but the other authorized dealers that take so long( for me anyway)
Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling

For LSA it is like a rebate in that it is specific to make it hard to qualify. Need UPC, Receipt, and 90 days to register. I have an "EBOX" which is online and keeps track of anything you buy. You are probably not going to get the Lifetime Service Agreement now anyway. They can go by the tool date as default for 3 yr. warranty. Ridgid powertool is not really a good choice for professionals.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben of Hyde View Post
Last month I took my newish 24volt Ridgid drill to my local HD, because one battery died and my drill kept getting stuck between gears... I had bought the combo pack with reciprocating saw, flashlight & drill about 9 months earlier...

So I hand them my credit card so they can look up my purchase including the 1 year warranty that they sold me, and they can't find my purchase because their system only goes back 90 days! WTF!

What's the point of a "lifetime warranty" if they aren't gonna honor it when something breaks! it's not like I can buy Ridgid anywhere else!

I didn't register the damn thing and I haven't found my receipt yet... and the fact that they can search my in store warranty with my ID or Credit card has got me fuming... I'll be shopping at lowes anytime I have a choice!

It's kinda like bringing a bitten big mac to any MacDonald's and asking for a new one done right, and the manager asking you for a receipt! While standing under a huge banner that reads: Life time warranty!

Son-uva-B!+<H!

Talk to the manager, and be firm but polite, the manager will take care of it for you.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Motorboatin' son of a ...

Rewards Points: 500

HD only takes back tools within 90 of purchase with a receipt. To get the Ridgid warranty you must register the tool within the time specified, or else you don't get the warranty. If you do, then you have to go through them to get it repaired. They have authorized service centers you have to use.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Support/

Those rebates also screw you. You may get some money back at time of purchase, but you have to send in the bar code and the original receipt and once you do that it almost always makes it impossible to return. That is their intent.

Last edited by BKFranks; 01-05-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
egotistical prick

Trade: Wood Inlay
Rewards Points: 2,000

You get what you pay for.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
Pro

RIDGID?!?! Come on now I thought this was a contractors site?! Maybe they can give you instore credit and you can get a new Ryobi one set instead.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RadRemod For This Useful Post:
Cdat (01-05-2010), grafcustom (01-11-2010), rustyjames (01-05-2010), Winchester (01-06-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
egotistical prick

Trade: Wood Inlay
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRemod View Post
RIDGID?!?! Come on now I thought this was a contractors site?! Maybe they can give you instore credit and you can get a new Ryobi one set instead.
That's kind of what I was thinking but didn't want to seem to mean spirited about it. Thanks for doing it for me!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: GC - Home repair
Rewards Points: 270

I often thought about at least trying the ridgid cordless, tired of $99.00 batteries for my makitas.
But have heard mostly problems with trying to get them to honor warranty. They try to make it as hard as possiable so only a few actually get to use the warranty.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,278

That doesn't make any sense that they would need the receipt being Home Depot is the only one that sells Rigid, it's kind of obvious you bought it at Home Depot. None the less, only Rigid thing I would trust are the shop vac's.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: General Contracting/CM
Rewards Points: 250

Off topic but the other week el cheapo depot had Dewalt 7 1/4" plywood blades for $1. I bought all they had. I think I have bought a total of three Dewalt tools over the years with no problems. I would talk to the manager, show him the warranty and he should take care of you. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #14

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayh78 View Post
I often thought about at least trying the ridgid cordless, tired of $99.00 batteries for my makitas.
But have heard mostly problems with trying to get them to honor warranty. They try to make it as hard as possiable so only a few actually get to use the warranty.
I started with Makita and was very pleased. When it was time for a new set I thought Dewalt would work since Lowes has shelves of them. BIG mistake and after I resold the Dewalt junk and bought new Makita stuff I learned a lesson. And by the way I still use the original Makita stuff in the shop.
Sometimes Makita will replace batteries if they were short lived. Also you can buy new ones cheaper on ebay.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,630

Stop shopping at hd.
The Following User Says Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
rustyjames (01-05-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMacMoragh View Post
That doesn't make any sense that they would need the receipt being Home Depot is the only one that sells Rigid, it's kind of obvious you bought it at Home Depot. None the less, only Rigid thing I would trust are the shop vac's.
Not true ebay'ers sell them, more than new mostly. Never can figure why people pay those ebay inflated prices. Amazon now sells may items too.

There are so few service centers, even in the SoCal market, you could mail in the batteries, you would think, NO, they want the whole kit! Again BS to make it hard to actually get tools repaired under LSA.

Can not imagine full time contractors buying Ridgid non plumbing, or vac. items. I am part time and have many backup tools, so I can wait on the repairs. So far they have been good overall.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M. View Post
Not true ebay'ers sell them, more than new mostly. Never can figure why people pay those ebay inflated prices. Amazon now sells may items too.

There are so few service centers, even in the SoCal market, you could mail in the batteries, you would think, NO, they want the whole kit! Again BS to make it hard to actually get tools repaired under LSA.

Can not imagine full time contractors buying Ridgid non plumbing, or vac. items. I am part time and have many backup tools, so I can wait on the repairs. So far they have been good overall.
iIam a full time contractor, or at least i was last time i checked and I use Ridgid tools.

I have quite a few ridgid screw guns, impact drivers, reciprocating saws etc., I got tired of the Dewalt batteries only lasting 18 months, I have been using ridgid 18 volt tools for several years now and have only had 2 batteries go bad.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMacMoragh View Post
The reason you need a receipt is because if it is within 90 days it's still their problem and have to take it back or replace it. After 90 days, Ridgid is responsible. They don't want to pay to replace or refund a tool if they don't have to.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #19
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 363

Lowes aint much better. About two years ago, I bough a kobalt tape measure from Lowes. Printed right on the label it says " Lifetime No Hassle Guarantee. So far I have taken them back three times, always with some hassle. Not to mention that every time I take it back, they never have the same tape.

Easy Gibson
Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodhall View Post
I started with Makita and was very pleased. When it was time for a new set I thought Dewalt would work since Lowes has shelves of them. BIG mistake and after I resold the Dewalt junk and bought new Makita stuff I learned a lesson. And by the way I still use the original Makita stuff in the shop.
Sometimes Makita will replace batteries if they were short lived. Also you can buy new ones cheaper on ebay.
I agree. I bought a Dewalt cordless saw once, and the thing was terrible. So underpowered, and the battery life was a joke. When I bought it I didn't really give it a proper testing till after the return period was over. Then it was too late. The thing is still in the garage in the original case, maybe used 3 times. I won't use it for anything.

I've pretty much used Makita for cordless tools for years. They've worked pretty well. The last nicads I used the clutch went out on two of them, but since I've been using the lithium ion for the past 2-3 years I haven't had any problems. I've seen others using the Ridgid cordless tools and I just didn't like them. Not balanced very well and too heavy. The only Ridgid tools I own are a framing nailer and a shop vac. I did have a Ridgid finish nailer, but took it back because it sucked. I used the crap out of it for a month too.

I don't really consider the Ridgid tools or Ryobi when I buy tools. I stick with Bosch, Makita, or Milwaukee depending on the tool. I occasionally buy Dewalt only because my wife works for Black and Decker and I get them at a discount.

The thing about HD is you've got to save the receipts. Make sure you test it and if anything is bothering you about a tool, take it back within 90 days. If the tool comes with a warranty that you need to register for, do it before it's too late.

Advertisement

Last edited by BKFranks; 01-05-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Tags
basterds , home depot , ridgid , sob