Ford Transit - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Ford Transit

Old 02-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Ford Transit

One of me mates sent me this and said he's gonna order it. I might just have to swap my truck out for this if it ever gets released out here.

Transit sport

Ford transit-image-246163694.jpg

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Da Boss....

Trade: Painting and wallpaper hanging contractor
Rewards Points: 260

Re: Ford Transit

I've always driven Ford vans, and that's going to be my next one when I retire my 08 E250. Last week I went to the Chicago auto show and made a point to check out the preproduction model they had. Looked pretty good if you ask me.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford transit-image.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Pro

I may have to buy the standard one and sport it up me self lol.
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #4

Trade: Septic system repair technician
Rewards Points: 75

Is it 4wd? Does it have the same chassis as a Ford Edge. If the tires on an Edge are not all worn the same, the computer thinks the wheels are slipping. The comupter responds by engaging the 4wd all the time. The result is the drive train self destructs to the tune of about $2400.00
Ford has a better idea....
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 582

I dont follow new vans at all, but if Ford puts a small diesel in that they'll move some units.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #6

Trade: Renovation
Rewards Points: 117

The transit connect made for Canada is quite different than other countries, a little to small here in Canada. The two years I owned it, it was a great work vehicle but just a tad on the small side
Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Power-Whittler

Trade: Custom Carpentry & Cabinetmaking
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinishingEdge View Post
The transit connect made for Canada is quite different than other countries, a little to small here in Canada. The two years I owned it, it was a great work vehicle but just a tad on the small side
I had a Connect in the UK and agree. Fantastic little van. Too small for me now but if you can work with the size you'd be hard pushed to do better.

I will be very interested to see if GM respond with a proper redesign of the Express/Savanna in response to the full size Transit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clarke Carpentry For This Useful Post:
FinishingEdge (02-20-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Repair & Renovation

Trade: R. Damato Construction
Rewards Points: 2,584

Can you fit sheet goods in that thing? One day i wanna get one of those silly lookin vans lol
Old 02-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D. View Post
Can you fit sheet goods in that thing? One day i wanna get one of those silly lookin vans lol
Yes you can get sheet goods in them. Our one was racked out both sides on had a single slide door on one side. It held a lot of tools and parts but it sure got cramped. A systainer racking system would be key to making them more usable and roomie.
Rich D. (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #10

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

I have been looking at these new Ford Vans myself... and was quite intrigued when I noticed that they are coming out with a diesel version that is comparable to the larger style that they are currently selling in europe... My husband is a builder and I own an insurance agency, but with the economic climate we both decided to get our Insurance Adjusting licenses so that we could travel nationwide working on the larger catastrophe claims... so I have been researching vehicle options that would be versatile and allow us to sleep in it as well if we wanted too.... but I didn't want a LARGE gas gusselling RV and I also wanted something that was a little more incognito bc we have heard that it can be difficult to find places to park to sleep depending where you end up... This seems to fit the bill and will allow us to use it for many purposes... I just wish it came out already!!! We have already been researching options for building out the interior... MANY videos on You Tube from european families that have devised modular pieces that can be moved in and out so you aren't stuck with one usage type... I haven't seen anyone execute this idea, but we were considering building a sleeping area using a sturdy fabric stretched along the back and secured using grommets and weight bearing carabiners... then using a piece of memory foam on top so that the bed could be rolled up when not in use and would only take up the space of a large sleeping bag... additionally there would be plenty of storage underneath... Any thoughts?
Old 08-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 340

I'm reviving this because I was looking to see what people had said on here about the Transit.

The new Transit with the long wheel base and high roof options has 487 cubic feet for storage.

That's a little more than a 6x12 enclosed trailer with 6'6" ceiling height.

Total length is 22', door opening height in the back is 74".

There's a lot of different options on weight capacity and towing but without going with the dually version it looks like you might be in the 4,000 lb payload capacity which would be sweet.

Bari, it's the perfect van for your systainer racking idea. lol. I was talking to my BIL tonight about it. You could set the whole thing up with systainers and be able to interchange it and always keep it organized how you wanted it to be. I've even got a sweet idea of a way to use the Domino and make sliding rails for systainers to slide into where they are Domino'd into side panels at adjustable heights so you could swap around different systainers and each one pulls out independently.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t_first_drive/

Never thought I'd be in a van but maybe one day...
Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #12
Pro

Check out this video at 2:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gztJ...aHziKgTnpVRV-7
Old 08-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememtnbiker View Post
Funny thing about that video is he's using dominos on 2 1/4" clamshell casing. The dominos probably cost more than the trim.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccoggs
Funny thing about that video is he's using dominos on 2 1/4" clamshell casing. The dominos probably cost more than the trim.
Lol. Dominos are a couple cents each at that size.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #15
Pro

Rewards Points: 874

Yea the little guys aren't that bad, but I think it tough to justify the purchase of the machine if your using it for clamshell casing. Around here you would be lucky if there were 3 nails holding on clamshell let alone glued and tenoned corners.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccoggs View Post
Yea the little guys aren't that bad, but I think it tough to justify the purchase of the machine if your using it for clamshell casing. Around here you would be lucky if there were 3 nails holding on clamshell let alone glued and tenoned corners.
Quite true. I'm guessing he uses it for other things too. Once you've justified the purchase somehow or another, I could see it getting used a lot.

Advertisement