Festool Fan Club Thread - Page 361 - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Festool Fan Club Thread

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #7201
Pro
 
john5mt's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 1,647
Rewards Points: 1,470

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
All valid points.



Something I would definitely consider if I did more trim work. Being as I don't do a bunch, I'm happy with the kapex. I just started using the CMT blade for the kapex and I like it a lot more than the Leitz blades or whatever festool blades are. If the armature of mine goes out I'll probably actually just do a 716 and a unipoint separately. Unipoints can be had for pretty cheap and have the added benefit of having a huge cutting capacity for shop work.
Do you have a part number for that cmt blade for the kapex? I have really liked the cmt blades on my other saws

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Remodelling Fool
Helena Siding Windows
https://helenasiding.com/
john5mt is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM   #7202
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 7,065
Rewards Points: 8,908

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by john5mt View Post
Do you have a part number for that cmt blade for the kapex? I have really liked the cmt blades on my other saws

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I don't. I'll look at it today and maybe I can find one. It's a pretty nice blade.
__________________
He knows nothing about everything and isn't afraid to prove it, so he defends ignorance with stupidity.
Deckhead is online now  
Old Today, 12:58 AM   #7203
Pro
 
TRThomas's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Remodeling/Everything
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 104
Rewards Points: 282

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
I don't. I'll look at it today and maybe I can find one. It's a pretty nice blade.
This Tenryu blade seems to get good reviews, only 6 on Amazon but they are all 4-5 stars https://www.amazon.com/Tenryu-Festoo...rds=30mm+arbor

Amana makes a 30mm arbor 10" blade that should work. 260mm is a little under 10-1/4" so you're only losing less than 1/8" of actual cut capacity at $58 it may be worth a shot https://www.amazon.com/Amana-610600-...ore+saw+blades
TRThomas is online now  
   
 
Old Today, 01:12 AM   #7204
Pro
 
TRThomas's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Remodeling/Everything
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 104
Rewards Points: 282

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarboarder View Post
Isn't festtool made for retired doctors playing carpenter? haha



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I have to think that's their target demographic given the price tags attached to some of their tools. $600 for a cordless drill, sander, oscillating tool, $900 (I think its actually more for some reason) for a miter saw stand etc.

I must say though, the HK55 is an awesome saw. Had they gone with the dual batteries on the HKC I probably would have bought that instead of the Makita cordless track saw.

I also have their older Trion barrel grip jigsaw, it's been through hell and hasn't skipped a beat. Festools jigsaw blades are also the best I've used and actually reasonably priced as far as Festool cutting implements go.
TRThomas is online now  
Old Today, 03:12 AM   #7205
Pro
 
john5mt's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 1,647
Rewards Points: 1,470

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by TRThomas View Post
This Tenryu blade seems to get good reviews, only 6 on Amazon but they are all 4-5 stars https://www.amazon.com/Tenryu-Festoo...rds=30mm+arbor



Amana makes a 30mm arbor 10" blade that should work. 260mm is a little under 10-1/4" so you're only losing less than 1/8" of actual cut capacity at $58 it may be worth a shot https://www.amazon.com/Amana-610600-...ore+saw+blades
It seems like it wouldn't be a big deal.....but it is. That little peice left in every cut is annoying as f*****

I want the cmt because it's a cmt. They are very good for the money. I've got a chopmaster signature series for it. I want the cmts for more general ourpose. It feels werid cutting deck boards with it though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Remodelling Fool
Helena Siding Windows
https://helenasiding.com/
john5mt is offline  
Old Today, 06:12 AM   #7206
Pro
 
TRThomas's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Remodeling/Everything
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 104
Rewards Points: 282

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by john5mt View Post
It seems like it wouldn't be a big deal.....but it is. That little peice left in every cut is annoying as f*****

I want the cmt because it's a cmt. They are very good for the money. I've got a chopmaster signature series for it. I want the cmts for more general ourpose. It feels werid cutting deck boards with it though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Oh sorry, I wasn't implying it left a 1/8" nub on the end of the board, just that you would lose 1/8" in total crosscut capacity. I don't own a Kapex, but I can't imagine the throw on the saw is so exacting that it wouldn't cut all the way through a board with 3/16" smaller diameter blade but again I don't have one so I don't know this for sure. I've seen some videos of people drilling out 10" blades with 5/8" arbors to 30mm arbors and they seem to work fine.
TRThomas is online now  
Old Today, 06:24 AM   #7207
I'm on a boat!
 
J L's Avatar
 
Trade: Yacht carpenter
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,167
Rewards Points: 3,442

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by TRThomas View Post
Oh sorry, I wasn't implying it left a 1/8" nub on the end of the board, just that you would lose 1/8" in total crosscut capacity. I don't own a Kapex, but I can't imagine the throw on the saw is so exacting that it wouldn't cut all the way through a board with 3/16" smaller diameter blade but again I don't have one so I don't know this for sure. I've seen some videos of people drilling out 10" blades with 5/8" arbors to 30mm arbors and they seem to work fine.
I've started boring out 10" blades with a 5/8" arbor on my milling machine to have a 30mm arbor hole. It does leave a little nib on any piece being crosscut so I padded my fence out 1/8". No factor.

Advertisement

J L is online now  



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jigsaws...Bosch vs Festool jdeck Tools & Equipment 35 02-23-2016 08:43 PM
Fine Finish w/o Festool basswood Finish Carpentry 78 02-04-2013 08:32 AM
festool Planex and cleantex BCConstruction Tools & Equipment 10 05-11-2012 06:56 AM
Finally met Festool! Knighton Finish Carpentry 13 05-15-2010 07:41 AM
Festool john5mt Tools & Equipment 2 04-08-2010 10:16 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?