Festool Fan Club Thread - Page 359 - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Festool Fan Club Thread

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #7161
Pro
 
BlueRidgeGreen's Avatar
 
Trade: Craftsman
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middlebrook, Va
Posts: 3,075
Rewards Points: 526

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
If it means anything mine is one of the first ones out (2008 I think?) And I bought it used from my machinery guy in 2012 and I have no issues with it. It's actually the longest I've ever had a Miter saw without a major issue. Normally I figure if I can get three years out of them then it's worth it to just sell at a really low price or give it away and buy new. Kapex had to last 6 and it's been much longer.



Add to that the fact it is so much more accurate and faster than most other saws, I wouldn't hesitate if you're looking for one in the shop. Not sure I'd run one on jobsites often though.



Now the HKC? **** that. Go buy a mafell. I still hate my HKC every time I pull it out.


Why?

Iím about to buy one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlueRidgeGreen is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 12-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #7162
Pro
 
Tom M's Avatar
 
Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 10,588
Rewards Points: 9,562

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


I think I've asked this question before but forget the answer.
Has anyone picked up the newer more flexible looking hoses are they worth the money to swap out on older vacuums?
Tom M is online now  
Old 12-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #7163
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 9,301
Rewards Points: 5,662

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeGreen View Post
Why?

Iím about to buy one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The power is ****. Don't think for a second you'll ever cut framing with the HKC. Get the chorded HK instead if you're going festool. The HKC is okay for PVC and maybe light trim but that's about it. I use it almost exclusively now as a battery powered track saw for thin stuff. It's fine for pickets on railing, PVC decking, and probably miratec trim. That's about it's usefulness. It's a great concept for stair stringers, except it can't cut through them unless you cut three times because it will bind up.

Still pissed off I sold my TS55 because this was meant to replace it. I thought it may be a learning curve but it's still a POS a couple years later.

5/4" exotics you can forget about it. It won't cut through dick, let alone really hard wood. In this case battery is not better. I probably wouldn't buy the electric model either and just go with a mafell which has really good results. For 200 bucks in difference, it'd well be worth it to have a working saw for a good concept.
__________________
You are a confused and loudmouth punk.
Deckhead is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #7164
Pro
 
BlueRidgeGreen's Avatar
 
Trade: Craftsman
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middlebrook, Va
Posts: 3,075
Rewards Points: 526

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
The power is ****. Don't think for a second you'll ever cut framing with the HKC. Get the chorded HK instead if you're going festool. The HKC is okay for PVC and maybe light trim but that's about it. I use it almost exclusively now as a battery powered track saw for thin stuff. It's fine for pickets on railing, PVC decking, and probably miratec trim. That's about it's usefulness. It's a great concept for stair stringers, except it can't cut through them unless you cut three times because it will bind up.



Still pissed off I sold my TS55 because this was meant to replace it. I thought it may be a learning curve but it's still a POS a couple years later.



5/4" exotics you can forget about it. It won't cut through dick, let alone really hard wood. In this case battery is not better. I probably wouldn't buy the electric model either and just go with a mafell which has really good results. For 200 bucks in difference, it'd well be worth it to have a working saw for a good concept.


Ohhhh yeah.
Iím definitely getting the corded.

Didnít know the right code I guess.

My buddy loves his.

Been thinking about one for a while.


Thanks Brotato Chip.
I appreciate the feedback.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlueRidgeGreen is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRidgeGreen For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #7165
Pro
 
tjbnwi's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cedar Tucky, Indiana
Posts: 10,982
Rewards Points: 2,916

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
I think I've asked this question before but forget the answer.
Has anyone picked up the newer more flexible looking hoses are they worth the money to swap out on older vacuums?
Yes.

Tom
tjbnwi is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
Tom M (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #7166
Geometrist

 
Warren's Avatar
 
Trade: framing/remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,231
Rewards Points: 186

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
The power is ****. Don't think for a second you'll ever cut framing with the HKC. Get the chorded HK instead if you're going festool. The HKC is okay for PVC and maybe light trim but that's about it. I use it almost exclusively now as a battery powered track saw for thin stuff. It's fine for pickets on railing, PVC decking, and probably miratec trim. That's about it's usefulness. It's a great concept for stair stringers, except it can't cut through them unless you cut three times because it will bind up.

Still pissed off I sold my TS55 because this was meant to replace it. I thought it may be a learning curve but it's still a POS a couple years later.

5/4" exotics you can forget about it. It won't cut through dick, let alone really hard wood. In this case battery is not better. I probably wouldn't buy the electric model either and just go with a mafell which has really good results. For 200 bucks in difference, it'd well be worth it to have a working saw for a good concept.
Despite the lack of power, I have been satisfied with mine thus far. We do a lot of pvc and Boral trims. Being able to take it to the pile, with no cord, is what really matters. We routinely have it on the lift with us in case we need to trim a piece, rather than bring it all the way back down.
__________________
I'd love to replace all the dumbness in this room but the budget is tight and the stupidity is plentiful!

Easy Gibson
Warren is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (12-17-2018), overanalyze (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #7167
Pro
 
Justin Huisenga's Avatar
 
Trade: Finish carpenter
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 746
Rewards Points: 1,740

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinciRemodel View Post
Since my Kapex was down for a period of time, I got a couple of brand new yellow saws. They cut wellÖ the dust collection is just phucking terrible. You guys that work new construction can tolerate the yellow dust machines. In remodel, we gotta be cleaner. Glad Tom was able to save my Kapex.


Thanks, Tom

I forgot one additional thing. No laser line is like a step back into the stone age. Lining-up a cut is time-consuming.
You can substitute a Bosch dust port for the stock and it makes a difference. DC is in the neighborhood of the Kapex but the problem is the improved DC makes it cut like a Kapex. Drops get sucked into the blade and turn into missles. I have the boot on my 716 currently but only hook a bag to it. Fits the Makita bag which works way better than the Dewalt. It does't get everything but I brick the bag half a dozen times a day. On NC its pretty common to have only one outlet so the first tool I do without is a vac on the miter saw.



Never really cared for lasers on a miter saw. On the rare occasions I have used a Kapex I turn the lasers off. The XPS light on the DeWalt saws is accurate. Never needs to be adjusted for inaccuracy and automatically adjusts blades of slightly different kerf. Between that and a ZCI plate I never creep at a cut.
Justin Huisenga is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
Lettusbee (12-17-2018), overanalyze (12-17-2018), Sisyphus (12-19-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #7168
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 9,301
Rewards Points: 5,662

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Despite the lack of power, I have been satisfied with mine thus far. We do a lot of pvc and Boral trims. Being able to take it to the pile, with no cord, is what really matters. We routinely have it on the lift with us in case we need to trim a piece, rather than bring it all the way back down.
Yeah, for some guys I'm sure it's fine. I use a lot of exotics, which it isnsimply too wimpy for. I did use it for some hardi and it worked great (used the ts55 blade for hardi I still had). PVC trims for an exterior door and it was nice as well. I just planned to use it for wood and there is no way it can do that.
__________________
You are a confused and loudmouth punk.
Deckhead is online now  
Old 12-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #7169
Pro
 
Justin Huisenga's Avatar
 
Trade: Finish carpenter
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 746
Rewards Points: 1,740

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
I don't do much conventional trim work. Mine is mostly mitered cuts in the shop. I take it to jobs maybe once every 3-4 months.

I'm open to other saws... Kapex has been really good to me though. For some reason I still have it in my head a Miter saw should be a slider. I know it shouldn't be, still just a thing about not being able to cut all the way through a stair tread. I was scarred by this early in my career
Stairs are just about the only time I pull a slider out onto a job. Crown over 7" is usually a built up. Same with base over 6 1/2". Everything else fits under the arm of the 716 and I can rig the saw to cut 9" crown in position if I need to.

The Kapex was a nonstarter for me for the simple reason that it won't cut 5 1/4" base in position. Being married to thin kerf tooling didn't help its case much either. I don't balk at the cost of a tool if I see value but still aside from above average DC I don't see it in that saw. The set up in the pic is a fairly common one for me. Pair of really well tuned up 716s spinning industrial tooling. Flies through a casing cutlist. Total cost with saws, blades, stand, and wings is still about a grand cheaper than the Festool saw by itself.

Agreed on the HKC. It's gutless. Mine gets used mostly for cutting jamb legs, Anything heavier and it struggles.
Attached Thumbnails
Festool fan club thread-double.jpg  
Justin Huisenga is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #7170
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 9,301
Rewards Points: 5,662

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Huisenga View Post
Stairs are just about the only time I pull a slider out onto a job. Crown over 7" is usually a built up. Same with base over 6 1/2". Everything else fits under the arm of the 716 and I can rig the saw to cut 9" crown in position if I need to.

The Kapex was a nonstarter for me for the simple reason that it won't cut 5 1/4" base in position. Being married to thin kerf tooling didn't help its case much either. I don't balk at the cost of a tool if I see value but still aside from above average DC I don't see it in that saw. The set up in the pic is a fairly common one for me. Pair of really well tuned up 716s spinning industrial tooling. Flies through a casing cutlist. Total cost with saws, blades, stand, and wings is still about a grand cheaper than the Festool saw by itself.

Agreed on the HKC. It's gutless. Mine gets used mostly for cutting jamb legs, Anything heavier and it struggles.
All valid points.

Something I would definitely consider if I did more trim work. Being as I don't do a bunch, I'm happy with the kapex. I just started using the CMT blade for the kapex and I like it a lot more than the Leitz blades or whatever festool blades are. If the armature of mine goes out I'll probably actually just do a 716 and a unipoint separately. Unipoints can be had for pretty cheap and have the added benefit of having a huge cutting capacity for shop work.
__________________
You are a confused and loudmouth punk.
Deckhead is online now  
Old 12-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #7171
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 9,301
Rewards Points: 5,662

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Out of curiosity Justin, why do you have your rule on the opposite of your fence? I am thinking about building a new table and thought about putting one vertical on the fence and then another on top. Never thought to put one on the outside.

By the way, how's the pup?
__________________
You are a confused and loudmouth punk.
Deckhead is online now  
Old 12-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #7172
Pro
 
Justin Huisenga's Avatar
 
Trade: Finish carpenter
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 746
Rewards Points: 1,740

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Out of curiosity Justin, why do you have your rule on the opposite of your fence? I am thinking about building a new table and thought about putting one vertical on the fence and then another on top. Never thought to put one on the outside.

By the way, how's the pup?
The rules on the wings are for measuring short point to short point. I usually feed left to right when cutting casing so I cut a left hand miter, line the short point up with the t-track edge on the wing which is zero on the rule, and mark whatever length I need. The one on the left hand wing is set up reverse to the right. My fences have a bunch of "programmed" rep stops for all my common casing lengths but double heads vary enough that I just use the fence rules and set the stops using the marked piece. Pic shows the index stops on the fences.


The big dog is hanging in there. Tough bastard. Still happy and still comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Festool fan club thread-fence.jpeg   Festool fan club thread-index-stops.jpeg  
Justin Huisenga is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (12-17-2018), TRThomas (12-18-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #7173
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 9,301
Rewards Points: 5,662

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Huisenga View Post
The rules on the wings are for measuring short point to short point. I usually feed left to right when cutting casing so I cut a left hand miter, line the short point up with the t-track edge on the wing which is zero on the rule, and mark whatever length I need. The one on the left hand wing is set up reverse to the right. My fences have a bunch of "programmed" rep stops for all my common casing lengths but double heads vary enough that I just use the fence rules and set the stops using the marked piece. Pic shows the index stops on the fences.


The big dog is hanging in there. Tough bastard. Still happy and still comfortable.
Gotcha.

Good to hear about your buddy. Can't ask for much more for an old giant breed. If they're comfy, they're happy.
__________________
You are a confused and loudmouth punk.
Deckhead is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
Justin Huisenga (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #7174
Pro
 
john5mt's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 1,661
Rewards Points: 1,500

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Have you considered the cordless 716? Or would you say just stick with the corded version?
__________________
Remodelling Fool
Helena Siding Windows
https://helenasiding.com/
john5mt is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #7175
Always Learning
 
overanalyze's Avatar
 
Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 8,317
Rewards Points: 1,280

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by john5mt View Post
Have you considered the cordless 716? Or would you say just stick with the corded version?
I had the cordless ordered but cancelled after I talked to Justin and found out it wouldn't handle a full kerf blade.
__________________
It is what it is...now fix it.
overanalyze is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to overanalyze For This Useful Post:
john5mt (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 AM   #7176
Pro
 
TRThomas's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Remodeling/Everything
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 147
Rewards Points: 382

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Huisenga View Post
The rules on the wings are for measuring short point to short point. I usually feed left to right when cutting casing so I cut a left hand miter, line the short point up with the t-track edge on the wing which is zero on the rule, and mark whatever length I need. The one on the left hand wing is set up reverse to the right. My fences have a bunch of "programmed" rep stops for all my common casing lengths but double heads vary enough that I just use the fence rules and set the stops using the marked piece. Pic shows the index stops on the fences.


The big dog is hanging in there. Tough bastard. Still happy and still comfortable.
Those extensions you made are really nice. Do they attach to the saw or lock onto the stand? I made a stop similar to that t-track/knob you have there but nowhere near as nice or convenient.
TRThomas is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #7177
Pro
 
Justin Huisenga's Avatar
 
Trade: Finish carpenter
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 746
Rewards Points: 1,740

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by TRThomas View Post
Those extensions you made are really nice. Do they attach to the saw or lock onto the stand? I made a stop similar to that t-track/knob you have there but nowhere near as nice or convenient.
Currently they attach to the stand. Bolted a piece of aluminum to a couple of the extension supports and the wings mount to those with threaded rod and a couple star knobs. Gonna redo all of that and make brackets that attach to the saw with a pair of heavy duty toggle latches to lock them in.
Justin Huisenga is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (12-18-2018), Philament (12-31-2018), TRThomas (12-19-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #7178
Pro
 
JFM constr's Avatar
 
Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sonoma Calif
Posts: 1,064
Rewards Points: 2,290

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by overanalyze View Post
I had the cordless ordered but cancelled after I talked to Justin and found out it wouldn't handle a full kerf blade.
why would it not handle a full kerf blade . same saw componets as far as i can tell .plus all my blades are full kerf .certainly no lack of power
a reason to stay with his nonslider vrs the cordless slider .weight and size .sucker is that much heavier that for me it shows up . doesn't pass through dr ways as easy either .
JFM constr is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 10:35 PM   #7179
Always Learning
 
overanalyze's Avatar
 
Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 8,317
Rewards Points: 1,280

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
why would it not handle a full kerf blade . same saw componets as far as i can tell .plus all my blades are full kerf .certainly no lack of power

a reason to stay with his nonslider vrs the cordless slider .weight and size .sucker is that much heavier that for me it shows up . doesn't pass through dr ways as easy either .
Full kerf is much wider and heavier than thin kerf. Lots more stress on the motor I guess.
__________________
It is what it is...now fix it.
overanalyze is online now  
Old 12-18-2018, 10:59 PM   #7180
Pro
 
JFM constr's Avatar
 
Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sonoma Calif
Posts: 1,064
Rewards Points: 2,290

Re: Festool Fan Club Thread


the last one i got is a dhs790 ,this the cordless saw .no lack of power . I see no less power then the 706 .

Advertisement

JFM constr is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jigsaws...Bosch vs Festool jdeck Tools & Equipment 35 02-23-2016 08:43 PM
Fine Finish w/o Festool basswood Finish Carpentry 78 02-04-2013 08:32 AM
festool Planex and cleantex BCConstruction Tools & Equipment 10 05-11-2012 06:56 AM
Finally met Festool! Knighton Finish Carpentry 13 05-15-2010 07:41 AM
Festool john5mt Tools & Equipment 2 04-08-2010 10:16 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?