Dust Extractors, HEPA Or Not? - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Dust Extractors, HEPA Or Not?

Old 11-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,052

Dust Extractors, HEPA Or Not?

Finally looking to pick up a dust extractor to comply with the new OSHA silica requirement and cant decide if I should get a HEPA vac or not. 99% of my work will be outside and will mostly be used for tuckpoint grinding and concrete saw collection so it will be ALOT of brick dust. I read that OSHA dropped the hepa requirement and i dont do lead rrp removal so thats not an issue. My concern is the cost of the hepa filter and the expensive hepa vac getting beat up on the job with my bonehead eh i mean highly valued employees. I was looking at the dustless technologies line of vacuums since i can get their wonderbags locally at Home Depot and they offer both non hepa and hepa dust extractors. Of coarse the non hepa is significantly less so i wont be so worried about it getting abused being outside especially around scaffolding with stuff being dropped on it.

What are your thoughts? Is a hepa vac really necessary for my case? Or is it an unnecessary expense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

Re: Dust Extractors, HEPA Or Not?

About how many pounds a week do you guess you will collect if you were to capture 95% of the dust you make?
Do you run a tuck point grinder 5 hours a week? Daily? once a month but then for 6+hours?

Based on your answer to these questions we can give you a better idea of what tooling may serve you best.

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,052

Pounds per week? I would have no idea! Some weeks i would use it alot, 4-5 hours a day and other weeks it wouldn't leave the truck.

Usually i would use it for 1 grinder maybe 2 and occasionally use it for my concrete saw when i dont want to deal with the water

At most probably a bag of dust a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

I would look at the following from cheapest to most expensive from cheap and easy to awesome.

4 Gal Ridgid and a dust deputy (Use bags in Vac) ~$250
Festool Midi and a dust deputy (Use bags in Vac)~$650
Ermator S13 ~$1600

The The Ermator is an industrial Vac designed for tuck pointing applications. Bagging and disposal is super easy and clean. It can be split and hung from the side rail on a scaffold. I have an S26 that has 700+ hours on the meter and is still going strong.
The Following User Says Thank You to charimon For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (12-12-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Finally looking to pick up a dust extractor to comply with the new OSHA silica requirement and cant decide if I should get a HEPA vac or not. 99% of my work will be outside and will mostly be used for tuckpoint grinding and concrete saw collection so it will be ALOT of brick dust. I read that OSHA dropped the hepa requirement and i dont do lead rrp removal so thats not an issue.
its more than just a vac. Its also a time and duration factor. I hope its not brick dust and its mortar dust.

There is nothing wrong with getting a HEPA- but they often flow less. If you do tuck pointing, a vortex add on such as the dust deputy will pay for it self in short time.

I pretty much prefer bags whenever I can, and have found that very little dust gets past the paper filter. My Ridgid HEPA vac runs this way- paper bag, cloth pre filter, then the hepa filter.

it does NOT have as much suction as an identical sized vac (Ridgid or otherwise). So you trade off some performance for the filtration.

I've had very good luck with the Wunderbags.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,606

This things a beast!

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/...HO4aAtY68P8HAQ

The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
Dan_Watson (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems