Dust Collection - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Dust Collection

Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 346

Dust Collection

Trying to get a little bit cleaner with my dust collection for woodworking and also on the jobsite. I don't have a real dust collector but do have a ridgid shop vac and recently bought a laguna cyclone dust collector. So right now I can hook my shop vac up to the cyclone. But need to get another hose to go from cyclone to tool. I have about 6 shop vacs but some use a smaller hose and my other big 2" vac has a weird hose that doesn't work. That part I can handle, either just get another shop vac hose or have read a pool cleaning hose works good.

But the problem I have is that I have a 6" jointer and a 15" planer that have a 4" dust collector outlet. I bought one of these 4" to 2" adapters, http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-W104...lector+adapter. The 4" side is the same diameter as the outlets on my machines. For now I used a fernco plumbing fitting to hook it onto the machine. But there has to be a better way that I don't know about. I believe the outlets on the machines and the adapter I bought are meant to go inside actual dust collection hose. But I don't have a dedicated dust collector and also don't have my machines in dedicated spots. They are on wheels and get rolled out when needed, shop isn't big enough for a full wood working setup.

So I guess my questions are what is the best way to adapt my 4" dust outlets on my machines to my shop vac/cyclone setup? And second what is a good second hose to get to use on the pick up side of my cyclone dust collector? I will use this hose to go to the table saw, jointer, planer when at the shop but also will be using it on job sites for things like grinding floors and other stuff. So thinking a longer 20ft hose would be nice.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 11,063

Re: Dust Collection

Cut a hole in a block of wood that fits the vacuum hose. Screw the pc of wood onto the output chute of the jointer. Tada.

Most woodworking machinery needs a lot of CFM to get the chips extracted properly. A vacuum isn't it. You'll need a dust collector eventually.

Advertisement

WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (04-07-2015), PrestigeR&D (04-12-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 346

I know a dust collector is the right tool for the job but I really don't do a lot of fine wood working. Little projects here and there and the occasional "custom" stuff for jobs that need a quick run through the jointer or planer. And I really don't have room for a dust collector right now. The shop vac and cyclone collector do a pretty decent job with the planer and jointer, not ideal like a dust collector but not completely useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 585

I'm not sure exactly what you trying to adapt, but One of these should work:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/abs-adapters.html

They have a nice collection of dust collectors and accesories at very reasonable prices.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Arrow

I think you would be better off with a DC system. Going from 4" ( as is engineered into your machinery) is there for a reason. As Leo pointed out- CFPM is what you have to pay attention to. A shop vac is no where near the proper CFPM for your machines. Just get a DC system and some flex hose so you can hook it up anywhere in your shop. The dust collection machines that Leo posted are on a mobile base so you can move it around. You will be a lot happier with a DC system.

Jmpo,
Old 04-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,748

When I was going through this dilemma I ended up with a Delta DC from Lowes that I paid about $250 for, plus some of the Rockler Dust Right hose and fittings. No comparison to the Shop Vac. You need large volumes of air, not air speed to move the dust and chips from jointers and planers.

If you search "portable dust collector" on Amazon you'll find quite a few options that aren't too expensive, and are quite compact and transportable.

Advertisement

Last edited by Rustbucket; 04-12-2015 at 11:13 AM.