Dewalt Sliding Compound - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Dewalt Sliding Compound

Old 12-10-2005, 08:44 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 250

Dewalt Sliding Compound

I know a lot of you have a Dewalt SCM, which model do you have? I want a 12" and I'm looking at models DW708 & DW718, which there's a price difference of $150. I'm fine with the increase providing I'm getting more than a bigger model #.
I know the 718 has a wider crosscut and has the option of adding a laser. So that's probably the cause for the increase.

Do any of you have these models? Do you like it, hate, wish you had bought something else, etc?

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Dewalt Sliding Compound

Being able to cross cut up to a 16 inch piece of stock instead of just 12 inches with the 708 is worth the price alone to me. The detent over ride is a nice feature as well as the laser ability. As long as you can afford it go with the 718, it's the best saw they make, you won't go wrong with the best.

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Pro

Mike,
Thanks, did you put the laser on yours? Does it stay accurate? I wish it was factory installed.

Also, you started a thread a month or so ago about a portable stand, have you picked one up yet. I think I'm leaning toward the miter saw utility vehicle from Rigid. I wish it had a little longer extensions, but I'll deal with it.

Last edited by Woodcrafter74; 12-10-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Pro

I got the 718 myself last week and finally took it out of the box this week. It came with a free laser but I haven't put it on yet. I'm not too excited about the laser, but hopefully it becomes one of those things that you can't imagine how you did anything without it before kind of things. I did cut 15 1/2" shelves with it already. Man was that nice to be able to do! I actually had to break out the directions to figure out all the buttons and adjustments on it. Only problem now is what to do with my other Dewalt saw, I have the 12 " dual bevel non-slider. Debating whether to sell it or keep it around. I hate having stuff around I don't use taking up valuable space.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

Everything that I have heard abut DeWalts is they get knocked out of kilter easily and you have to go through fine tuning often.

Albert Einstein
Old 01-13-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
Deck Designer/Builder

Trade: Construction Project Manager
Rewards Points: 1,000

Whatever you decide on, don't get it at HD!

About the stand, my regular tool supply store just got in a new model (I think) Hitachi mitre saw stand in the other day. It looks really sweet. If I didn't already have a stand I'd probably already have it in my shop.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Ridgid stands ROCK I would not get any other stand it is so easy my wife could set it up on her own without directions. As far as lasers go anyone that mounts next to the blade on the arbour is going to be off 1/8" - 1/16" because the blade gets in the way if you really want a laser find one that mounts BEHIND the blade one was linked to on another forum I will try to find the link and post it here.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:55 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 150

I have the 708 with an Irwin laser on it. The laser replaces the blade washer and only lines up the right side of the blade. Not much good for exact cuts but is great for lining up angle cuts. I was installing 10" flooring and some of the cuts from another saw were off by a 1/16 or so and with the laser line it was easy to know just where the blade would travel.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:02 AM   #9

Last edited by cdac; 02-13-2006 at 12:11 AM.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:17 AM   #10
Pro

I bought my 718 and the Rigid MSUV on December 31st. They're both out of the boxes, but not mounted yet. Disappointed to hear about the laser issues, though I didn't figure they'd be real accurate.
Looking forward to a test drive.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 4,320

I'm also looking at the newest Dewalt and at the Metabo. The Dewalt will probably win out because of it's cut range.
I just bought the Hitachi stand, made by Trac Rac. I love this thing! 500 lb. capacity, aluminum (no rust), 20' capacity, hinged stock stops and very easy to fold and roll. I bought another attachment kit and am doing a little cutomizing job on it to make the saw/workstation a little more site friendly. I'll post some pics of my efforts when I'm done in a few days.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #12

Last edited by cdac; 02-13-2006 at 12:11 AM.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:57 PM   #13
Interior Remodeling

Trade: Interior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 570

I have the 12" slider from Ridgid and the saw is awesome. The laser sux and I have the portable stand from Dewalt and it sux. They were sold out of the Ridgid stand when I bought the saw. Only thing I don't like about these saws, is that they are so f'n heavy. Other than that it's a valuable tool to the collection.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
Interior Remodeling

Trade: Interior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 570

Oh and make sure your saw is sitting on the stand securely. I was cutting 2x10x12 on it and I wiggled the board a lil and the saw flipped back over and busted the knuckle that pivots the saw up and down Looks like the most expensive part on the saw.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt
Everything that I have heard abut DeWalts is they get knocked out of kilter easily and you have to go through fine tuning often.
Maybe, I don't know about that, it hasn't been my personal experience. I've used my 12" dual bevel dewalt for 2 years without any re-adjustments. However, I seem to be the only person who never has a problem with anything built by Dewalt. Mileage may vary, I'm sure there are some production guys who use their saws more in a month than I do in a year.

This new saw I just got I layed the triangles on it to center it in and found the factory settings were perfect already.

I'll report back on the laser once I attach it. However I don't expect any accurancy issues with it. I was sent a Dewalt DVD about 4 months ago about this saw and it's laser, the system they use certainly looked accurate to me. Keep in mind anything adjustable becomes accurate as long as it keeps it adjustments. The laser for this saw is adjustable. Also, the laser does mount behind the blade.

Last edited by Mike Finley; 01-14-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:59 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

I'm no fan of anything DeWalt, - - IMO, they tend to lean more towards power than accuracy, - - but I'll try not to knock them as I know a lot of guys like them, - - at least their miter saws tend to be better than most of their other stuff, - - but personally, I use the Bosch 4412 SCMS, - - what a great saw!!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Here is the link to the aftermarket laser I said I would get for you sorry it took so long I forgot I dont have this one personally, I have the one that mounts next to the blade I dont really use it but I misplaced the shorter arbor screw so it stays on but I never look at it. I have heard on another forum that these work very well
http://www.laserkerf.com/
Old 01-15-2006, 11:58 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,040

When I'm not so lazy I'll be uninstalling my arbor laser on my rigid 12" ...the ladies love it when I talk like that

SEriously, if it mounts beside the blade, keep the old school washer on unless you are the only guy using teh saw. First time I set it up to check accuracy I knew it'd be trouble for a grunt using the saw...they'll try to line up the pretty light with the pencil mark and cut board too short. Sounds good in theory, but in reality it's a joke/gimic. Not to mention the laser line gets kinda "fuzzy" so they you have to decide which part of the light are you gauging off of, the fuzzy edges of the bright center line...you'll see what I mean if u try one.

Not worth the hassle imo.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #19
Heavy Weight Champ

Trade: finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R
I'm no fan of anything DeWalt, - - IMO, they tend to lean more towards power than accuracy, - - but I'll try not to knock them as I know a lot of guys like them, - - at least their miter saws tend to be better than most of their other stuff, - - but personally, I use the Bosch 4412 SCMS, - - what a great saw!!
hey, we agree on something else.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #20
Heavy Weight Champ

Trade: finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

the one thing that i like about dewalt sliding mitres is that it is easy to make the slides longer, and even though you cut into the aluminium, you can get as long of cuts as you want. with my Bosch, i think it will mess up my adjustments.

Advertisement