DeWalt 706 Type 1 - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

DeWalt 706 Type 1

Old 05-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: cabinet installer
Rewards Points: 150

DeWalt 706 Type 1

I thought I'd ask here before I take the saw apart . This is the
1st model DeWalt came out with that would cut 5 1/4 base molding standing upright .

The saw now makes a hard/low pitched sqeauling , screeching noise when i use it . The brushes have been replaced so that is not the problem . I have had good luck repairing my dewalt tools in the past and this saw has performed very well for 10 years . It's perfect for the jobs I do (mainly kitchens ) and I would like to fix it . Anyone have any expeirence with this saw and any idea what has worn out on it ? Thanks .

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

Re: DeWalt 706 Type 1

Armature Bearings. Do a search. I just put up a post with photos of me replacing those bearings.

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Finish Carpenter

http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/dw...-relube-92916/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFGhost View Post
Thank you very much . I am so used to this saw I'd like to keep it in my van . You saved me a bunch of guesswork if my probelm is the same . Thanks again .
Old 05-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFGhost View Post
Armature Bearings. Do a search. I just put up a post with photos of me replacing those bearings.

ghost I want to say thanks alot for your response . I took the saw apart and sure enough it is the front bearing . I ordered the parts and regreased both bearings and the saw sounds like new though I know it won't last long .

I ordered a new power cord and belt cover as well so for $55 w/shipping I will have a damn near new saw . Belt looked to be in fine shape .

I would like to ask where you got that little puller at . I'm assuming the auto parts store ? I am going to do exactly what you did as there is wobble in the front bearing but the rear bearing seems much more secure in it's place so while I ordered it I won't replace it unless the problem persists .

Thanks again $55 vs 400+ is te ony way to go , not to mention I don't like the newer style Dewalt saws for some reason . I guess I'm so used to the older style knob and handle setup . I always do my own tool maintence esp on the paslodes and the other tools are usually brushes or triggers .

I was talking to a duct guy the other day and we both own the DW 825 impact and he has paid $80 2 times to have the trigger replaced . Mine acted up and I took it apart and cleaned it and it's been good ever since .
I don't think he liked hearing that but hopefully he'll realizie in the future you can take those torx screws out yourself and most likely fix the problem on your own .

I also realized i need to find a 10 inch saw for when I don't need the capacity of the 706 . Does dewalt make a 10 inch that excepts the crown stops that fit the 706 ? Or any other recommendations for a 10 inch compound box that has crown stops available and doesn't weigh a ton ?
I cut alot of smaller cabinet crown .
Old 05-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Finish Carpenter

yeah, its a batter post terminal puller, but it won't do the front bearing on the DW saws....

This is a video on how to do it. I am sure there is more then one way to skin this cat tho

http://www.youtube.com/user/eReplace.../0/uH-uMGA2WWc

Advertisement