Crown Molding Stops For 10 Non Sliding Mitre Boxes - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Crown Molding Stops For 10 Non Sliding Mitre Boxes

Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: cabinet installer
Rewards Points: 150

Crown Molding Stops For 10 Non Sliding Mitre Boxes

I am looking to add a 10 in regular compound mitre box to my arsenal so I don't have to carry the heavy DW706 in for the smaller kitchens I install . However many of these small kitchens get small crown molding on them so I need a 10 inch box that has crown stops available .

I've done quite a few searches and the best option is the DEwalt 703 which uses the same stops as my 706 BUT it is no longer in production . I have a bid in on Ebay for a 703 but in case I lose it I need a backup plan . I'm not brand loyal on this but have yet to find a manufactuer that offers crown stops for their 10 inch non sliding boxes . Worst case i could drilll and tap out a 10 inch Dewalt to accept the stops from my 706 but I'd prefer to find a box that offers it's own stops .

anyone ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Feedin the geese

Trade: Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 286

Re: Crown Molding Stops For 10 Non Sliding Mitre Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinet runner View Post
I am looking to add a 10 in regular compound mitre box to my arsenal so I don't have to carry the heavy DW706 in for the smaller kitchens I install . However many of these small kitchens get small crown molding on them so I need a 10 inch box that has crown stops available .

I've done quite a few searches and the best option is the DEwalt 703 which uses the same stops as my 706 BUT it is no longer in production . I have a bid in on Ebay for a 703 but in case I lose it I need a backup plan . I'm not brand loyal on this but have yet to find a manufactuer that offers crown stops for their 10 inch non sliding boxes . Worst case i could drilll and tap out a 10 inch Dewalt to accept the stops from my 706 but I'd prefer to find a box that offers it's own stops .

anyone ?
Depending on what type of stand you are putting your saw, you can custom make some great crown stops. My stand is a custom one of my design and I integrated Kreg aluminum channels - perpendicular to the fence on both sides of my wooden wings - that take Kreg knobs and so forth. The board has holes drilled for the Kreg knobs which get tightend- holding the board at the correct spot for the crown's spring. My crown stop works similar to this but without using clamps

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Advertisement

Last edited by Joining_heads; 05-10-2011 at 12:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joining_heads For This Useful Post:
HandyHails (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

Just make your own... and the best 10" non slider is the Delta Industrial 36-585

10" DUAL bevel, all up front controls, belt drive motor. They don't make them anymore, but see if you can find one. Its nothing like the cheap Delta saws they have out now.

Here is my crown jig. Its just ply wood that forms a table and fence with and adjustable stop. The saw can do up to 4 5/8" crown nested (45 degree spring angle)

The DW703 feels like a cheap POS if you ask me....actually all the 10" saws that are made now feel like junk....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFGhost View Post
Just make your own... and the best 10" non slider is the Delta Industrial 36-585
10" DUAL bevel, all up front controls, belt drive motor. They don't make them anymore, but see if you can find one. Its nothing like the cheap Delta saws they have out now.
ere is my crown jig. Its just ply wood that forms a table and fence with and adjustable stop. The saw can do up to 4 5/8" crown nested (45 degree spring angle)

The DW703 feels like a cheap POS if you ask me....actually all the 10" saws that are made now feel like junk....

I agree most of the 10 inch non sliders feel junky but I just need a lightweight say for cutting toekick , scribemolding and small crown molding on many of the kitchens I am currently installing . I have actaully had good luck with the older DeWalt boxes . My 706 is over 10 years old and until the bearing went it was a fine accuarate saw . It's just to heavy to lug into townhouses on a daily basis and it's capacities are not needed in these units .

I have 2 old 705s that work well but again they aren't that much lighter than the 706 . So I just need a decent 10 inch mitre box that takes adjustable crown stops . I know I could make my own but I'd rather just bolt on the ones off the 706 which work fine . I have never used he 703 but I know it is from the same older family as the 705 and 706 which IMO are superior to the newer versions . They don't make the 703 anymore but I am trying to snag one off E-bay but $90 is my limit . The crown in these units is 1 1/2 to 2 5/8 so I just don't need the big 12 inch saw to do these jobs esp since I am currently not using a helper .

I'm back to using my cabinet lift and throwing a few bucks at anyone on the job for help lifting a large vanity or countertop . So far so good and I must say i don't miss either of my last 2 helpers one bit .

Thanks for the responses

Last edited by cabinet runner; 05-10-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

When I was doing production cab installs I still have a light little hitachi non slider , with the laser , it has the higher fences and is pretty accurate , I would look at a makita 1013 or a hitachi 10" before dewalt 703 , it's a lame saw !
The Following User Says Thank You to Five Star For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (06-15-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
kowality

Trade: I am a Professional Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Depending on what type of stand you are putting your saw, you can custom make some great crown stops. My stand is a custom one of my design and I integrated Kreg aluminum channels - perpendicular to the fence on both sides of my wooden wings - that take Kreg knobs and so forth. The board has holes drilled for the Kreg knobs which get tightend- holding the board at the correct spot for the crown's spring. My crown stop works similar to this but without using clamps

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
I can't say enough about this video. It is spot on, great quality and informative. I have seen so many guys use the bevel setting and get into trouble. Crown Mold is just upside down baseboard. Excellent Video Thumbs Up!!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Finish Carpenter

Yeah, I use the same setup as gary on my "Shop" saw, with the full support wings. But I make a whole jig for the saws that sit on the fold-up stands. The jig has an adjustable stop and make it just large enough to hold the largest crown the saw can cut. One jig = any crown.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 11,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My crown stop works similar to this but without using clamps

+ YouTube Video
Clamps and I've been hot gluing mine down all this time
Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Star View Post
When I was doing production cab installs I still have a light little hitachi non slider , with the laser , it has the higher fences and is pretty accurate , I would look at a makita 1013 or a hitachi 10" before dewalt 703 , it's a lame saw !

Not sure why you think it is a lame saw . I won the bid on ebay $95 and the saw looks hardly used . Had to put a decent blade on it but it cut great and was square and true and it accepts the crown stops off of my DW 706 .. Now I only used it on one townhouse kitchen but it seemed fine to me . In fact it seems like the direct decendant of the original 12 inch 705 . I have 2 of those that are over 15 years old and still work great . Ofcourse I/ve had to replace the brushes a few times and a trigger switch on one of them .

I looked at the 713 which is the new 10 inch model but I just don't like the paddle that replaced the knob on the older models for some reason . I guess I'm used to the knob . I also looked at the hitachis and I am a fan of hitachi drills and impacts but their 10 inch saws have a curved base plate and I woulda had to make a crown jig . I just wanted to swap out the stops I already have and be done with it .

Kinda sucks but the prices on the hitachis are really resonable . Never used any of thier newer saws . Only the old monster tank that was the only saw that could cut big base back in the day and the 1st slider that came out but that was many years ago . Those saws were made to last . I wonder about the new ones . They had the 10 inch on sale for about $110.00 .
Old 06-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
Finish Carpenter

I don't know if your still looking but I bumped into this...

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/2415413756.html

You will not find a better saw...
Old 06-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Raawwwrrrr

Trade: finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,394

you can always drill and tap the holes and use the dewalt stops.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
New Quirky Carpenter

Trade: Trim Carpentry and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 538

I do a search for Makita 7 1/2" slider and this thread pops up?

Doubt you're looking still. But the makita 7 would be light, portable, and cut the toe-kicks. But, it's got a small table and you'd have to cut crown flat. The dewalt 8 1/2" cuts base 3 1/4" and crown nested 4 1/4" (I think). The dewalt is like 47lbs. The makita is 27(?).

As far as stops, I've tossed around making my own. Never got around. Just nest flat edges and cut.

Advertisement