Craftsman Professional Line - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Craftsman Professional Line

Old 11-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #1

Trade: tile / flooring
Rewards Points: 75

Craftsman Professional Line

Anybody use them, i picked up a used 20v 1/2 in lithium cordless drill at an auction a couple weeks ago for $10, it looks beat up, i figured if it worked i would use it to mix grout/etc, the thing is a beast, loads of torque, and endless runtime, i might look at the craftsman pro line when i need to replace my dewalt cordless tools, anybodt have any exp with that line of tools, or know who manufactures them for craftsman.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Craftsman Professional Line

I wouldn't bother with them. You can get much better (IMO).

However, I love me some of them Craftsman Professional screw drivers!

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom Metal Fabrication/Residential Construction
Rewards Points: 154

Had a craftsman 18v nicad drill anniversary model. Burned the motor out 3 times within the first 6 months just driving 3" screws. Good thing I can say is they replaced it for me every time, but that was about 12 years ago. By the third motor I just used it up and moved on. I just bought a craftsman professional table saw last week with built in router table and sliding miter table. Have to put it together still and run some boards on it. Got it to have around the shop, its mobile but still too big to move everyday. So have to wait and see how it holds up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

I have their 3 pc router kit. Fixed, D handel and plunge base. Its a good set.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 2,036

I have spread and broken way to many Craftsman wrenches and sockets to consider them a viable professional tool source, based on that I wouldn't waste my time testing their power tools.
MALCO.New.York (11-28-2010)
Old 11-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Bath Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Craftsman makes decent tools, somewhere in that gray area between Ryobi and DeWalt (not a huge margin imo.) If you ask me, they are just "ok" all around with nothing special to give them character. Does that make any sense?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

I had so may failures with Craftsman power tools that I have not even looked at Sears for over 10 years---Maybe they have improved since K-Mart bought them------
Old 11-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeswoods View Post
I had so may failures with Craftsman power tools that I have not even looked at Sears for over 10 years---Maybe they have improved since K-Mart bought them------
They bought kmart.

-
My source in Sears says that Sears tools, the cordless anyway are just like the Bosch line, just saying....
Old 11-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post
They bought kmart.

-
My source in Sears says that Sears tools, the cordless anyway are just like the Bosch line, just saying....
You might want to read this. I found it quite shocking when I first heard of it as well.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/17/news...0/sears_kmart/

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
You might want to read this. I found it quite shocking when I first heard of it as well.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/17/news...0/sears_kmart/
Now that you referenced that.......

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastoria View Post
Had a craftsman 18v nicad drill anniversary model. Burned the motor out 3 times within the first 6 months just driving 3" screws. Good thing I can say is they replaced it for me every time, but that was about 12 years ago. By the third motor I just used it up and moved on. I just bought a craftsman professional table saw last week with built in router table and sliding miter table. Have to put it together still and run some boards on it. Got it to have around the shop, its mobile but still too big to move everyday. So have to wait and see how it holds up.

That table saw is a Ryobi BT3100 on steriods. Its a really good jobsite table saw. There is a whole following for the BT3*** table saws. Google it and you will find a forum and guys with alot of good info.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Bath Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

I never thought the merger was a good idea. Now I'm not big economist, but if you look at this page,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Holdings_Corporation

it appears that they are not doing all that well. Now I'm no economist, but being $53 million in the black for a company that size seems pretty poor, also apparently the company is losing equity at the same time. That means that they might have had to liquidate some stores just to see a meager profit. Looking at other companies like Wal-Mart and The Home Depot, they show growth (increased equity) and profits as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal-Mart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Home_Depot

Sears sells good tools, and K-Mart sells other good products. The reason for their failure is pure and simple: atrocious customer service. Wal-Mart has fast-moving lines most of the time, allowing customers to only have to wait in line for a few minutes. I can't remember the last time I had to wait more than 5 minutes in line at a Wal-Mart of any kind, but whenever I go to KMart, no matter how dead it is, it's like I always end up standing around for 15 minutes behind one customer and the world's slowest cashier. K-Mart always seems to be running a skeleton staff with minimal people on the floor and minimal cashiers. How do they expect to succeed if they can't get people in and out quickly?

The same thing happens at Sears, which seem to be arranged so that you have to track down a random floor person to ring you up. The problem is that these people are typically occupied making a sale, so you can potentially be in limbo, trying to snag a salesman until a rush ends. What idiot thought this was a good idea? Obviously it was some corporate MBA who hasn't shopped in 10 years thanks to his staff of servants, who thinks customers like it when we're patronized with some cheesy, cold, corporate-style promotional greeting at the door.

Example:

"Happy Holidays from Sears, home of Craftsman tools! What can I get for you today?"

...ugh

"You can get me a tall glass of shut the f'ck up!"

Now I have two choices. Stop and listen to the guy at the door go through the motions he was trained to do on some "Closing the Sale" weekend training course, or I can blow him off and walk past him like he's the third Salvation Army bell ringer I've seen today. Already I don't want to be here because I feel pressured and hassled.

Companies like HD and Wal-Mart have the right idea: leave us alone until we ask for you. We're not idiots. We educate ourselves online. We're not going to trust some salesman who's never used this product, but we are going to trust the 100s of reviews we read on a consumer website. All we want to know is where it is, and can we get a discount because the box is dented? Other than that, we're happy to check ourselves out and get on with our lives.

Bottom line: Sears and K-Mart are a prime example of corporate mismanagement and hopefully they will fail completely so that there will be more Wal-Marts and Home Depots. The fact that they were allowed to dump debt through Chapter 11 and get a fresh start was infuriating to me, and I shudder to think of how much of the bailout money was spent keeping dinosaurs like these alive. Capitalism only works if failure is an option.

Otherwise we get the USPS and Amtrak, two failing organizations kept afloat with tax money for no other reason than tradition.

Ok, I've got to stop ranting.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Custom Metal Fabrication/Residential Construction
Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFGhost View Post
That table saw is a Ryobi BT3100 on steriods. Its a really good jobsite table saw. There is a whole following for the BT3*** table saws. Google it and you will find a forum and guys with alot of good info.
Yeah thats what Ive been hearing. Ive been looking at this saw for over a year but the name kept me from buying it sooner. Got a great deal online with bumper to bumper 5 year warranty added on and figure if it doesnt work out for me, just return it. Ive never owned a craftsman power tool since the drill incident so I will give it a whirl.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remodelor View Post
I never thought the merger was a good idea. Now I'm not big economist, but if you look at this page,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Holdings_Corporation

it appears that they are not doing all that well. Now I'm no economist, but being $53 million in the black for a company that size seems pretty poor, also apparently the company is losing equity at the same time. That means that they might have had to liquidate some stores just to see a meager profit. Looking at other companies like Wal-Mart and The Home Depot, they show growth (increased equity) and profits as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal-Mart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Home_Depot

Sears sells good tools, and K-Mart sells other good products. The reason for their failure is pure and simple: atrocious customer service. Wal-Mart has fast-moving lines most of the time, allowing customers to only have to wait in line for a few minutes. I can't remember the last time I had to wait more than 5 minutes in line at a Wal-Mart of any kind, but whenever I go to KMart, no matter how dead it is, it's like I always end up standing around for 15 minutes behind one customer and the world's slowest cashier. K-Mart always seems to be running a skeleton staff with minimal people on the floor and minimal cashiers. How do they expect to succeed if they can't get people in and out quickly?

The same thing happens at Sears, which seem to be arranged so that you have to track down a random floor person to ring you up. The problem is that these people are typically occupied making a sale, so you can potentially be in limbo, trying to snag a salesman until a rush ends. What idiot thought this was a good idea? Obviously it was some corporate MBA who hasn't shopped in 10 years thanks to his staff of servants, who thinks customers like it when we're patronized with some cheesy, cold, corporate-style promotional greeting at the door.

Example:

"Happy Holidays from Sears, home of Craftsman tools! What can I get for you today?"

...ugh

"You can get me a tall glass of shut the f'ck up!"

Now I have two choices. Stop and listen to the guy at the door go through the motions he was trained to do on some "Closing the Sale" weekend training course, or I can blow him off and walk past him like he's the third Salvation Army bell ringer I've seen today. Already I don't want to be here because I feel pressured and hassled.

Companies like HD and Wal-Mart have the right idea: leave us alone until we ask for you. We're not idiots. We educate ourselves online. We're not going to trust some salesman who's never used this product, but we are going to trust the 100s of reviews we read on a consumer website. All we want to know is where it is, and can we get a discount because the box is dented? Other than that, we're happy to check ourselves out and get on with our lives.

Bottom line: Sears and K-Mart are a prime example of corporate mismanagement and hopefully they will fail completely so that there will be more Wal-Marts and Home Depots. The fact that they were allowed to dump debt through Chapter 11 and get a fresh start was infuriating to me, and I shudder to think of how much of the bailout money was spent keeping dinosaurs like these alive. Capitalism only works if failure is an option.

Otherwise we get the USPS and Amtrak, two failing organizations kept afloat with tax money for no other reason than tradition.

Ok, I've got to stop ranting.
You should have seen the HD staff in one of my local HD. Me and wife walked in and there's no less than 20 staff just standing waiting at the front door. This was at 10.30 sat morning and it was dead in there. We was asked by at least 8 of them if we need any help and if we do then just ask. It was like walking though a crowd of robots. Really pisses me off when they won't leave you alone. HH Greg is the worst for this. Its like being in a Mexican flea market and they won't stop talking to you and let you walk around on your own.
Remodelor (11-28-2010)
Old 11-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #15
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

most of the craftsman power tools ive seen are made by ryobi anyway but with the color of hte plastic changed up and the logo. i know the table saws are made by ryobi and a few of the mitre saws... fine homebuilding has mentioned this on several occasions when they do tool tests.

as for the hand tools i think fuller makes most of them. i had a crafstman speed square and fuller square, identical in every way except for the logo. i havent payed much attention to these brands lately though.. buying mostly stanley stuff or irwin

Advertisement