Cordless SDS Dust Extraction Options - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Cordless SDS Dust Extraction Options

Old 11-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,250

Cordless SDS Dust Extraction Options

Almost every remodel I do includes adding seismic hold downs with 100 or 150 1/2" holes in concrete. I want to avoid exposure to silica dust.

I like using my Milwaukee cordless rotary hammer and staying cordless is preferred.

My options seem to be:

The m18 hamervac which is powered directly from the 1 1/8" rotary hammer. Middle weight and bulk

The M12 hammervac which is universal but heaviest and bulkiest

The Milwaukee dust trap, which is a simple non powered option, super light, but maybe only somewhat effective

The SDS Max dust extraction attachment, which requires a separate vacuum. Maybe the new backpack vacuum would be best for lowest fatigue.

Anyone have any experience with these and preferences, or other solutions?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,084

Re: Cordless SDS Dust Extraction Options

That's a lot of holes, how about a vac with a dust collector head like a Bosch HDC200.

You will choke out a drill mounted collector before you finish your first cup of coffee that day....heck my little festool vac is choked out after 10x 1/2" holes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 412

If you are drilling 1/2" holes you must be using Titen HD's? Or? Just curious...

As I understand it the strongest option is a 3/4" hole with an epoxied in 5/8" all threaded rod. Therefore it requires using a brush, then blowing the hole out at the same time as running a dust collector. I use something similar to the Bosch HDC200 mentioned above that I quickly made from wood by drilling three holes in a 4x4 with some weatherstripping at the bottom, but I probably should just buy the Bosch. Been using a small cheap Ridgid vac for crappy work for years and other than tearing through bags and filters it won't die. If working on a dirt floor I ALWAYS wear a respirator anyhow. Amazing how much dust is kicked up just moving around under a house, let alone the dust knocked off from above hammering on stuff.

A vac with a thumper built in is best for concrete dust. Milwaukee, Festool CT36 AC, Starmix, etc.

Will be interesting to see how the new Milwaukee backpack vac works as it functions more like a Dyson by not using bags. Will the filters plug with the fine dust? Gotta dump it though which will create a dust cloud. Bags have a purpose. Makita uses bags on their 36 volt backpack.

Another option is to get a really long hose and leave the "plugged in" dust collector far away, which would mean a Festool as they offer the Bluetooth remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
If you are drilling 1/2" holes you must be using Titen HD's? Or? Just curious...

As I understand it the strongest option is a 3/4" hole with an epoxied in 5/8" all threaded rod. Therefore it requires using a brush, then blowing the hole out at the same time as running a dust collector. I use something similar to the Bosch HDC200 mentioned above that I quickly made from wood by drilling three holes in a 4x4 with some weatherstripping at the bottom, but I probably should just buy the Bosch. Been using a small cheap Ridgid vac for crappy work for years and other than tearing through bags and filters it won't die. If working on a dirt floor I ALWAYS wear a respirator anyhow. Amazing how much dust is kicked up just moving around under a house, let alone the dust knocked off from above hammering on stuff.

A vac with a thumper built in is best for concrete dust. Milwaukee, Festool CT36 AC, Starmix, etc.

Will be interesting to see how the new Milwaukee backpack vac works as it functions more like a Dyson by not using bags. Will the filters plug with the fine dust? Gotta dump it though which will create a dust cloud. Bags have a purpose. Makita uses bags on their 36 volt backpack.

Another option is to get a really long hose and leave the "plugged in" dust collector far away, which would mean a Festool as they offer the Bluetooth remote.
I do have an auto cleaning hepa vac. It can fill with 50 pounds of concrete dust without getting clogged, but I was wondering if I could do something more mobile. Drilling holes doesn't make that much dust, compared to cup wheels on floors anyway.

I'm doing titen HDs. Horizontally. Usually I have a couple vertical 5/8 threaded rod with brush/blow repeat 10 times and special inspections too. But these plates are way easier since you don't need to drill from inside the wood wall above.

The Titens go into Simpson FJA and URFP. They are loaded in shear, not tension.
Attached Thumbnails
cordless SDS dust extraction options-simpson-strong-tie-construction-connectors-urfp-sds3-64_1000.jpg   cordless SDS dust extraction options-fsa_layer.jpeg  
Peter_C (11-14-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 1,930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I do have an auto cleaning hepa vac. It can fill with 50 pounds of concrete dust without getting clogged, but I was wondering if I could do something more mobile. Drilling holes doesn't make that much dust, compared to cup wheels on floors anyway.

I'm doing titen HDs. Horizontally. Usually I have a couple vertical 5/8 threaded rod with brush/blow repeat 10 times and special inspections too. But these plates are way easier since you don't need to drill from inside the wood wall above.

The Titens go into Simpson FJA and URFP. They are loaded in shear, not tension.
how is the strap used .looks like two titans into concrete and lag screws into the pony wall studs .but foundation is not generally flush to the pony wall
Old 11-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
how is the strap used .looks like two titans into concrete and lag screws into the pony wall studs .but foundation is not generally flush to the pony wall
It's for joists over a basement concrete wall when there's not a pony wall. It attaches to the concrete and the floor joists. The other one attaches to concrete and the mud sill. The shape of it works if the mud sill is not flush to the inside of the foundation by up to almost two inches.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,272

cant see how removing 1/2" material in a hole doesn't make some decent amount of dust. I got the bosch 200- as a plus, it sucks in place by itself. The 300 is just way too large for anything I do.

I don't even use a cordless SDS for the reason that every small dust collector vac clogs up too quick.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to madmax718 For This Useful Post:
Golden view (11-29-2018)