Compressors Compared Side By Side - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Compressors Compared Side By Side

Old 06-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 636

Compressors Compared Side By Side

Toolmonger did a pretty good writeup and review of some popular compressors and what makes them different. A good read for all of us tool addicts.

http://toolmonger.com/2011/06/01/tm-...ii/#more-46179

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,572

Re: Compressors Compared Side By Side

I have the makita, it is awesome once you get past the weight of it.

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 10,122

I've got the Dewalt, been used and abused kinda sucking now I need to take the head off and clean the crap out of it and change and fill the oil, I think
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

I would have been surprised if they didn't put the makita at number 1. Yes it's getting on now but it's still the best compressor in that segment.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 335

Today the tiny, 4 month old Ridgid crapped out. We were probably asking too much using it for framing. No worries, 3 year warranty. Just put the big compressor back in the truck a few minutes ago. We now know the limits of the little guy for future reference.

Easy Gibson
Old 06-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Bath Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

I have the Porter Cable C2004, and I bought it because of the price and sheer portability (got it on sale for $80). Little did I know that the thing is amazing, especially for the money. It's super light, goes up to a little over 150 psi and has a decent sized tank. Charge time is a bit slow, however for trim guns, that thing will keep up with anything you throw at it. I've used it with hoppers, and framing nailers, and unless you have a monster job, this usually keeps up.

I installed 300 sq ft of underlayment for a vinyl floor the other day, and stapling as quickly as I could by holding the trigger down and going for it, I shot down all the underlayment at once. I still couldn't get the pressure low enough for the gun to misfire.

I highly recommend.

Last edited by Remodelor; 06-03-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Just comparing the first two: for more noise, more weight or longer fill time you should pay less dollars, so Bostitch beats Bosch in dollars per dBs, $/pound and $/second.
Bosch's marketing studies may say otherwise, though.

Last edited by GettingBy; 06-03-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

This is the problem with these reviews...the guys generally don't know what they are talking about.
As you might expect, performance testing was largely a matter of looking at the numbers. The more CFM the tool required, the more challenging it was to keep up using low CFM compressors. So an 18-gauge brad nailer might go 50 brads before it needs to cut in on a 4.2 CFM compressor, where something like the CH got somewhere around 12 brads. Did both do the job? In a word, yes
CFM has nothing to do with when a compressor kicks on and off, that is has to do with two items and two items only. Tank size and max PSI. The larger the tank the more air there is to power something before the compressor has to kick on to top off the tanks. If you have a higher PSI compressor, and keep your reg set around 90 it does the same thing...more air is crammed in the tanks and available for use.

CFM is the rate at which the compressor can supply air WHEN RUNNING. So the higher that number the faster the tank will fill. A fast filling tank is key. Keeps the noise down by letting the compressor run less and lets you run larger tools. A 4 gallon unit with a 2 CFM compressor won't run a framing nailer like a 4 gallon unit with a 5 CFM compressor. The 5 CFM unit will kick on and off MUCH faster then the 2 CFM so you will ended up waiting on the tank to fill.

My Husky Oil Lubed 4 gallon twin stack as a CFM of 3.7 at 90 PSI and hangs with my Paslode PowerFramer if I am not bump firing all over the world. It also has a duty rating on 100%.

That is another large factor you need to look at. Duty Rating. If the Duty rating is 50%, you can only let the compressor run for 50% of the time. IE it can only run a total of 10 min in a 20 min period. 100% duty rating means it can run non-stop.

My Husky was made by CH and has been a slamming unit for 3 years so far. I just beat the hell out of it today with a palm nailer and 7 lbs of 12D nails. Cost me $100 or $125 with a roofing nailer on clearance from HD.

But when we hooked up an air-powered drill (continuous) with a CFM rating of around 6.5, the results were, well, not good. A few seconds of pulling the trigger and every one of the tested machines was pedaling at top speed to keep up. Eventually they all spun down into gasping out whatever the pump would push. The lesson: Donít use continuous tools higher than the CFM rating of the compressor, or they wonít perform like they should.
No really? All of the compressors tested are units ment for mostly nailers. You need a compressor with a much larger tank and a CFM of 8 or higher to use air drills. I have a 60 gallon with a 12 CFM compressor on it in the "shop". It still drops to about 80 psi when using a spray gun...never below that tho.

Last edited by TBFGhost; 06-03-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
Pro

Here's some more
http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm

From
http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com...un-630744.aspx
"Air Consumption of .026 ft. cubed per cycle [45 cu. inches] at 100 PSI."

Knowing the cubic foot usage per cycle for a tool and how many cycles per minute you want, you should be able to work backwards to the compressor specs req'd.

Last edited by GettingBy; 06-03-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #10
Roofing Contractor

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 264

Those compressors are... a little on the small side. Wheres the gas powered tests?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason-F View Post
Those compressors are... a little on the small side. Wheres the gas powered tests?
Is there any question a Emglo with a 5.5HP Honda or anything with a Honda 5.5HP or the big 12HP
Old 06-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 686

Of course I have the Ridgid and I would agree with the review. Although I did get mine on sale.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
Is there any question a Emglo with a 5.5HP Honda or anything with a Honda 5.5HP or the big 12HP
I will personally vouch for the old Emglo with 5.5 horse Honda engines. I bought one in 1996, which I wore out after 5 years of steady framing. 8 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Bought another in 2001, which I still own and bought one used in 2008 for 100 bucks because it wouldn't build pressure. It had a piece of debris stuck in the intake valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Compressors Compared Side by Side-002.jpg  

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 06-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
pro

Trade: wallpaper & fabric installation
Rewards Points: 435

I have an older PC that I like and is good for me for doing small stuff. I tried to use a cup gun once and the compressor is too small and just could't keep. What's the minimum size you would need to spray with a cup gun?
Old 06-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
Pro

The Monger guys could actually get a Prony Brake [and measure max energy available from a charged tank, and continuous power available], decibel meter and scale and check compressor specs against known standards.

If they then publish these results, which would reveal who is telling the biggest lies, they would get "cease and desist" letters from several lawyers.

The same seems to be true for these "million candlepower" spotlights. If the consumer can't readily measure it, the manuf. can say whatever he/she wants.

There are easier ways to make money than to deal with an informed consumer.

Last edited by GettingBy; 06-04-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 636

The Emglo's from 2001 don't exist anymore. Dewalt some how bought them out and ruined that line. The Dewalts after 2005 are not even on the same level as the Emglos of yester year.

CFM is important, but the rate of fill time is very important. When CFM is at it's best it is aslo important to see how fast it can get to that point.

The nice thing about the Makita is that it is quiet and the fill time is very short.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #17
Ciaos mitigator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,290

I recently picked up the little Makita (Mac 700 I think?) and I was surprised how quiet it was. To keep the tank topped off takes a few seconds if run, and it runs all the trim guns i need it to.
The big reason i got it was it fit on the floor between the front and back seat of my truck.
Tom Struble (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #18
Fine Handcrafted Opinions

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 2,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffy
The Emglo's from 2001 don't exist anymore. Dewalt some how bought them out and ruined that line. The Dewalts after 2005 are not even on the same level as the Emglos of yester year.

CFM is important, but the rate of fill time is very important. When CFM is at it's best it is aslo important to see how fast it can get to that point.

The nice thing about the Makita is that it is quiet and the fill time is very short.
If you liked the Emglos before DeWalt bought them out, check into Jenny air compressors. I think Jenny fabricated a lot of the Emglo parts or some such. As I understand it, after Emglo sold, Jenny began producing and selling basically the same air compressor since they were already manufacturing most of the components. They're even the same blue color. From what I hear, the parts are identical and interchangeable with Emglo. I'd be interested to know if anyone has used the Jenny and if they're as great as the Emglo was. We had a couple of the Emglos where I used to work and we couldn't kill them no matter how hard we worked them.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris klee View Post
I recently picked up the little Makita (Mac 700 I think?) and I was surprised how quiet it was. To keep the tank topped off takes a few seconds if run, and it runs all the trim guns i need it to.
The big reason i got it was it fit on the floor between the front and back seat of my truck.
i have that little beast toonice and quiet and a 15 sec fill time,it's great for most jobs i need it to do
Old 06-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonR View Post
If you liked the Emglos before DeWalt bought them out, check into Jenny air compressors. I think Jenny fabricated a lot of the Emglo parts or some such. As I understand it, after Emglo sold, Jenny began producing and selling basically the same air compressor since they were already manufacturing most of the components. They're even the same blue color. From what I hear, the parts are identical and interchangeable with Emglo. I'd be interested to know if anyone has used the Jenny and if they're as great as the Emglo was. We had a couple of the Emglos where I used to work and we couldn't kill them no matter how hard we worked them.
The one I had was from sams club looked and smelt exactly like a emglow, so all the thing is a Honda in one end and a air pump on the other and some valves and gauges around it?

Advertisement