Compressor Questions - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Compressor Questions

Old 09-22-2020, 11:55 PM   #1

Trade: Paint and Floors
Rewards Points: 74

Compressor Questions

My porter cable pancake that I have been using for 10 years finally crapped out on me, not the un-godly loud motor but the thin metal tank at the relief valve. I have wanted to replace it for a while, but now that I HAVE too, I realize that I don't know enough to make a decision on what will be a good purchase.

Seems like the consensus from past posts is that the Rolair and the California compressors are the favorites in the forums. But I am still confused on the size of tank and motor I need. The PC pancake was a 6 gal 150 psi max .8 HP and said 2.6 SCFM @ 90 psi.

All the smaller jobsite rolair/california compressors have more horsepower but smaller tanks. Does that mean that the compressor will run more frequently than the 6 gal porter cable, but also refill quicker? Or are the better compressors more efficient and will run the same the same amount of times to refill.

Also bonus question, I use a 50' 3/8" flexzilla hose for all my guns, should I run a smaller hose for better performance. I currently run brad and pin nailers for finish trim. Sometimes I will run a siding gun for wood replacement and even a coil framer when I need to frame a couple walls.

I do plan to buy all new fittings for the guns and hose, to cut back on leaks.
Thanks in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2020, 03:28 AM   #2
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 72

Re: Compressor Questions

I've got 2 rolair oil bath compressors. You can stand in the room & have a conversation while they run. 5.5 cfm is more than twice what your little pancake, which means it produces twice as much compressed air, even if the tank is smaller. This little compressor is a beast.
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...sor/p7262.html

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
dan_s (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,518

when i was in my 20ts i was sure that running a 3/8 hose allowed my big guns to move faster .well sure cannot tell the difference now . i greatly prefer the smaller hose . if i am running doubles i might put the 3/8 out .
for my smaller guns -hands down smaller hose ,they way less .less drag on the tool more manuverability .
up grade to one of the one of the compressors you mentioned .i have a quiet calif air .super nice , more air then i ever had .
i would say get the rolair .calif air are not made as well .
The Following User Says Thank You to JFM constr For This Useful Post:
dan_s (09-24-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
when i was in my 20ts i was sure that running a 3/8 hose allowed my big guns to move faster .well sure cannot tell the difference now . i greatly prefer the smaller hose . if i am running doubles i might put the 3/8 out .
for my smaller guns -hands down smaller hose ,they way less .less drag on the tool more manuverability .
up grade to one of the one of the compressors you mentioned .i have a quiet calif air .super nice , more air then i ever had .
i would say get the rolair .calif air are not made as well .

See I got the flexzilla because it was rubber and very pliable. I do work with a finish carpenter who uses 1/4Ē hoses and they seemed to be better at staying out of the way than my hose. Also the flexzilla hoses will give you a medium heart attack if you step on them on top of a roof.
Now Iím just looking for a small hose that wonít leave marks on floors, trim, cabinets, etc. because most of my work is indoor finish work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 3,242

Any compressor is going to be better than that pancake.

I run these hoses. Really nice and light and donít get blisters. I run a 100 ft off the trailer and keep the. Compressor in there. Much easier to run a power cord than lug a compressor around.

dan_s (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 11:23 PM   #6

What kind of compressor do you run from the trailer
Old 09-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 3,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_s View Post
What kind of compressor do you run from the trailer

Makita MAC 2400 with a 5g pig tank. I also run a air dryer to prevent the lines from freezing in the winter.
dan_s (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #8
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 20

I've had a JC10 for 8 years and it's still humming along. doesn't get a ton of use, but works great for what I need.

It can't run a palm nailer (not enough cfm).

it does run my siding nailer but there was a bottle neck at the hose fitting. once I took that quick connect off, it could sink a 2" into hardi trim no problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinDB For This Useful Post:
dan_s (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #9

Did you ever frame with it. I am mostly using a cordless framer for my framing (light use like shower walls and nailers) but still will frame the occasional interior room like adding a bathroom in a room
Old 09-26-2020, 11:21 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Trim Carpenter/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 272

Northern tool.

This thing is a DREAM! very quiet, quick recovery, pleated automotive style air filters.

I've had it about a year now, this is a pic from when it was new
Attached Thumbnails
Compressor questions-20191203_214032.jpg  
Railman (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 09:41 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 1,227

Since your replacing all your fittings, go to the V style. It's the single biggest improvement you can get in tool performance. When I 1st started my own interior trim company 35 years ago, I set up with Ani ( European style) fittings. After a while I couldn't buy them anymore & had to resort to the smaller M style. Recently I noticed that Milton is now carrying the Hi Flow V style, which is exactly the same as what I used 35 years ago.

Long story short...The V style is over 70cfm, & the M style is 40 cfm. It makes Framing guns work the way they were designed to.
Just do a search for V style air fittings & watch the videos!

https://www.miltonindustries.com/cat...it/category/3/

Last edited by Railman; 09-27-2020 at 10:49 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Railman For This Useful Post:
402joel (09-30-2020), Aaron Berk2 (09-27-2020), dan_s (10-05-2020), tgeb (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #12
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Since your replacing all your fittings, go to the V style. It's the single biggest improvement you can get in tool performance. When I 1st started my own interior trim company 35 years ago, I set up with Ani ( European style) fittings. After a while I couldn't buy them anymore & had to resort to the smaller M style. Recently I noticed that Milton is now carrying the Hi Flow V style, which is exactly the same as what I used 35 years ago.

Long story short...The V style is over 70cfm, & the M style is 40 cfm. It makes Framing guns work the way they were designed to.
Just do a search for V style air fittings & watch the videos!

https://www.miltonindustries.com/cat...it/category/3/
Thanks, I have never heard of the V style fittings, but have always wanted better air for the impacts guns in the shop.

I'll look into these.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

www.gebcon.com