Compound Miter Saw Question - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Compound Miter Saw Question

Old 06-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,930

Compound Miter Saw Question

I'm not a carpenter, but I need to buy one for a couple of jobs around my house, and could use some advice from the carpenters here. I am thinking about buying this one, if anyone is familiar with it can you offer advise?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log
Rewards Points: 1,632

Re: Compound Miter Saw Question

Hitachi is usually a good name when it comes to miter saws. I would however look for a saw that bevels both right and left. you'll thank yourself for it.

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 10

I think the hitachi's have a weird way of mounting to miter saw stands that makes them incompatible... don't know if that's an issue for you, just wanted to put it out there.

Also, consider a sliding compound miter saw - I'm not a carpenter, but I've found the sliding to be more useful than my old standard compound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Head sawdust creator

Trade: Jack of All.... Master of a Couple
Rewards Points: 1,036

Really depends how much work you are going to do with it. If it is just a little work around the house, a $200 saw is all ya need. If you are going to do more extensive work at your house or maybe someone else's house sometime in the future I would bite the bullet.... spend $500 and get a sliding compound saw that would tip both ways..... much better saw!!

It really is a matter of money and usage!!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

I agree with what's stated above, - - but that Hitachi 'is' a nice saw, and has a fine degree of accuracy . . .
Old 08-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummie View Post
Really depends how much work you are going to do with it. If it is just a little work around the house, a $200 saw is all ya need. If you are going to do more extensive work at your house or maybe someone else's house sometime in the future I would bite the bullet.... spend $500 and get a sliding compound saw that would tip both ways..... much better saw!!

It really is a matter of money and usage!!
I have decided to buy the Hitachi that bevels both ways, though I don't need that for the job I am using it for, just the miter part. One of the GC's we do work for built a huge multi story deck on the back of his house, and had roughly 150 pieces of 5/4x6x12 cedar lumber left over over, which he gave me for free, and had his driver deliver to my house for free, so I am going to replace the deck boards on my pool deck when the weather gets cooler.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:21 AM   #7

Trade: Tool Repair
Rewards Points: 10

I'm not a contractor but I've done warranty and regular repairs on Hitachi. Hitachi miters are very popular with most contractors I know. Also Hitachi designs very small powerful motors that hold up over time. I've always been impressed with Hitachi miter saws. The C8FB2 8" slider, although not a dual, is extremely popular with trim carpenters.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerToiletSpi View Post
I have decided to buy the Hitachi that bevels both ways, though I don't need that for the job I am using it for, just the miter part. One of the GC's we do work for built a huge multi story deck on the back of his house, and had roughly 150 pieces of 5/4x6x12 cedar lumber left over over, which he gave me for free, and had his driver deliver to my house for free, so I am going to replace the deck boards on my pool deck when the weather gets cooler.
That's a nice gift! That's about $2000 worth of lumber.

You might want to rethink your mitre saw choice given the size of lumber you're cutting. The cutting capacity for the Hitachi is probably 5 1/4" at 90 degrees, and somewhere around 4" at a 45 degree mitre. I think you would be better off with a sliding mitre.

Advertisement