Chipping Hammer Recommendation - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Chipping Hammer Recommendation

Old 01-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #1

Trade: House Repairs and Remodling
Rewards Points: 10

Chipping Hammer Recommendation

Looking to buy a chipping hammer for removal of thinset from concrete floor. Jobs may be big (large areas) or small (a few tiles). I have been looking for a tool that can handle a 3" chisel. Currently looking at Bosch Model 11388 - SDS MAX Demolition Hammer, and Bosch 11320VS SDS Plus Chipping hammer (not sure a 3" scraping chisel is available for this tool). I don't mind having a tool that can be used for other purposes (i.e. general demolition) as long as it is not too cumbersome to use on small jobs. Or, do I just need to buy two tools? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,920

Re: Chipping Hammer Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kene_kj View Post
Looking to buy a chipping hammer for removal of thinset from concrete floor. Jobs may be big (large areas) or small (a few tiles). I have been looking for a tool that can handle a 3" chisel. Currently looking at Bosch Model 11388 - SDS MAX Demolition Hammer, and Bosch 11320VS SDS Plus Chipping hammer (not sure a 3" scraping chisel is available for this tool). I don't mind having a tool that can be used for other purposes (i.e. general demolition) as long as it is not too cumbersome to use on small jobs. Or, do I just need to buy two tools? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Hilti TE-70.

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Tiling & Bath Contractor

Trade: Tiling & Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Just my two cents. I bought the Makita Power Scraper (SDS Plus) HK0500 for taking up tiles, mortar, etc.

I had considered bigger demo hammers and the Bosch Bulldogs, but I finally settled on this one. Mainly because it was fairly light and in my opinion, it's got the best design to get under tiles.

I did buy a wider sds plus tile removal chisel for it and it really works great. If you're planning on using it for small jobs, I highly recommend it. For larger tile removal jobs, I'd recommend a stand up air chisel.

I've also used it to demo out cement and to scale cement and it works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 636

For Removal of tile or flooring of any kind I also recommend the Makita. I used a HK1810 and it just works. It seems to be the choice for flooring removal and scraping of any kind.