Buildclean Review - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Buildclean Review

Old 01-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Buildclean Review

Well got my first build clean in. Pretty impressed as I was taking it out the box. Much bigger than I thought it was. Very robust, easy filter change, not too heavy, gfci outlet on side for tools or running a second machine, nice display system showing filter status.

But now for the bad part. It's damn annoying. On the Auto setting it stays low unless there's dust. For some crazy reason it's been designed to keep cutting power to the motor. It's as if power is cut for half s second then turned back on. Have been told this is "normal" but so far it's extremely annoying. It's just not smooth like I expected a air mover to be. On medium it does the same thing but is covered a little more by air noise and even on high you can hear it doing it but much less annoying.

This wouldn't be a issue on a noisy large site but these are only 600cfm units so have to be pretty close to you. They may be getting returned for this issue alone as the auto feature is a feature I liked the idea of but with the motor cycling like it does I can't stand it.

Another issue I'm having is it keeps giving me error2 which means install pre filter. But pre filter is on. It uses a prong that goes into the machine. Pretty idiot proof but seems inconsistent. I have to cycle the machine on and off a few times to clear the error.

dsconstructs (01-06-2016), Tom Struble (01-07-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,578

Re: Buildclean Review

I think I would return it too.

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
Pro

The error 2 is a easy fix. New machine should fix that but the power cycling like it does can't be fixed. Once it's on site some more I will decide. It has 30day satisfaction guarantee so not a big deal to return them. Would just prefer them to work as expected for the price.
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 314

I don't use the auto setting at all. I set it on high if it's a heavy amount of dust being created, medium if it's less, and yup, guessed it, low if I'm not really creating much dust.

My thinking is the unit should be creating airflow to itself and the dust sensor only works if dust makes it over to the unit with the unit on low. I guess I just like controlling it more than that.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
Justin K

Trade: Remodeling & general contracting
Rewards Points: 269

How much was the Buildclean? Went to their website & didn't see a price.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememtnbiker View Post
I don't use the auto setting at all. I set it on high if it's a heavy amount of dust being created, medium if it's less, and yup, guessed it, low if I'm not really creating much dust.

My thinking is the unit should be creating airflow to itself and the dust sensor only works if dust makes it over to the unit with the unit on low. I guess I just like controlling it more than that.

I'm hoping the that's the case with me. I'm gonna turn it on full when I'm making dust and leave it off when I'm not. The auto setting would have been sweet as it saves me turning it on 20x a day.

Does your do that weird cutting power thing too?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder2345 View Post
How much was the Buildclean? Went to their website & didn't see a price.

I won't disclose my price but retail is $1000 plus filter and duct. I already used a system so there was a offer available to get me out of that system and I said no way. But then I haggled with them for that sane discount if I bought 2 units.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:35 PM   #8
Justin K

Thanks
Old 01-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #9
Pro

Well that's great service. Brian who owns build clean just gave me a call. Assured me that the issue with ramping up and down in speed is def not meant to happen and that they already have a replacement heading my way. Looking forward to getting a machine that don't do that as I'm certain I will be 100% happy with the unit if that's fixed.

I will post some more about experience with the machine when my other one comes in on Friday.

Some other things I noticed though that were not mentioned.

The HEPA filter does have a black plastic grid in front of the filter to protect from damage. I was concerned about this as I was told there was no protection but there is.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
I'm hoping the that's the case with me. I'm gonna turn it on full when I'm making dust and leave it off when I'm not. The auto setting would have been sweet as it saves me turning it on 20x a day.

Does your do that weird cutting power thing too?

I don't think mine does the power cutting. I honestly never use auto.

When we are on sites that we are using it on I typically have on low the whole time we are there. I will use high or medium when making larger amounts of dust.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
BCConstruction (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememtnbiker View Post
I don't think mine does the power cutting. I honestly never use auto.

When we are on sites that we are using it on I typically have on low the whole time we are there. I will use high or medium when making larger amounts of dust.

Auto would be nice as one second I'm making small amounts of dust next second I'm sanding drywall compound then back to painting trim then back cutting material then grinding concrete then back onto drywall. Have a lot of jobs to do in a small about if time so that other stuff can set up and dry before next Coats. Also thought of another thing this will help is drying joint compound. It moves a lot of air from its exhaust so it can keep air circulating to dry compound quicker.

Wonder if there will be a charcoal pre filter at any point so it can be used after coating floors or spraying cabinets in place. People always worried about the smell. Negative pressure setup would work to outside but charcoal pre filter would be sweet option in recirculation mode

Last edited by BCConstruction; 01-06-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,272

Curious, who told you it was "normal" the first time? I know you are getting great customer service, but that doesn't mean that level will be applied to everyone.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax718 View Post
Curious, who told you it was "normal" the first time? I know you are getting great customer service, but that doesn't mean that level will be applied to everyone.

The rep said it was normal. The owner said it was def not normal. I have 2 machine's turning up tomorrow so I will let you know what I find. On site today it was extremely annoying on low and it would keep dimming the lights on a 15amp circuit because it ramps down then back up. On high it still does it but lights dim less as I guess it's spinning so fast it pulls less current each time it Ramps down.

Figures crossed its not normal as I like the unit a lot upto yet. One HO very impressed by it just sitting there today. She said her cleaner will be very happy with me.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,626

The customer service has been great for us. We haven't had an issues but they check in every once in a while to make sure all is good and when a shipment didn't arrive they tracked it down and made sure we were all good.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #15
Pro

They sent the replacement overnight. That's more than enough to convince me to give them a chance. There's not a lot of company's about anymore who give a crap.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #16
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 302

I don't have a BuildClean but it sounds like a remote would be cool. I know that with my system I'd love to be able to have a remote that I could just ramp it up or down without having to walk to the unit. Seems like a possible add-on idea for BuildClean's price point.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #17
Justin K

Not to hijack the thread, but what other brands/ options are people using? I'm definitely interested in air quality & maintaining a healthy work environment for employees & clients
Old 01-07-2016, 10:05 PM   #18
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 302

Mine's home made. I started using it long before the BuildClean was available. I'd probably just use the BuildClean now and make it part of my pitch.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:22 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder2345 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but what other brands/ options are people using? I'm definitely interested in air quality & maintaining a healthy work environment for employees & clients

I was using an allegro system as a negative air system but it was moving too much air at times. It was more awkward to install in rooms upstairs and in basements. I'm keeping it around but it won't get used on hardly any jobs bs now.

What I like about the build clean is the visual impact part. Bringing it into the home and setting it up. Even before its been switch on the HO is impressed. Kind of like the impact with bringing your kit into a home in Systainers.
builder2345 (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
I was using an allegro system as a negative air system but it was moving too much air at times. It was more awkward to install in rooms upstairs and in basements. I'm keeping it around but it won't get used on hardly any jobs bs now.

What I like about the build clean is the visual impact part. Bringing it into the home and setting it up. Even before its been switch on the HO is impressed. Kind of like the impact with bringing your kit into a home in Systainers.
Seeing as you're spraying paint, I wonder if can rig up the Allergo to a box for a makeshift spray booth/area?

Tom

Advertisement