Bosch Oscillating Tool - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Bosch Oscillating Tool

Old 02-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 532

Bosch Oscillating Tool

Has anyone tried out the new Bosch oscillating tool? I've always had pretty good luck with Bosch tools, but with the price so close to the starter kit for fein I'm wondering if the Bosch is comparable

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: building
Rewards Points: 1,772

Re: Bosch Oscillating Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonRMDL View Post
Has anyone tried out the new Bosch oscillating tool? I've always had pretty good luck with Bosch tools, but with the price so close to the starter kit for fein I'm wondering if the Bosch is comparable
the cordless multi tool idea is ridiculous. bosch does have a corded version, wait for it or buy the fein. even if you have the money, just buy the starter kit and get aftermarket blades on ebay etc... there is one guy http://multiblades.com/ thats supposed to be good. bosch is also giving away the adapter for their proprietary blade systems. theres no point in buying the top fein kit for 2 lbs of triangular sandpaper.

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,754

I have heard good things about the new corded Bosch. I believe Greg Di had one to test a while back.

I have both a corded MM and a cordless Bosch. Cordless is great for quick cuts, but that's about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

I am waiting on the corded bosch,

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...?pid=MX25EC-21
Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

If you plan on using this a lot, get the Fein Supercut. Twice the power.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

im using the rigid cordless right now... its ok better than the dremel. when it dies ill be getting the bosch corded whenever it comes out here anyway. for new tools and designs we usually have to wait to see them. some stuff is out almost right away give or take a few weeks. other tools upwards of 8 months..... paslode especially, the new cordless framer was roughly a year and a half to show up in town
Old 02-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,228

I would go for the fein just based on not needing an allen wrench to change the blade. I have both, and for some jobs, will need to rotate the blade 3 times for access. That gets really old when you have to use a wrench to rotate the blade.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Trade work for money.
Rewards Points: 514

I don't mind my cordless for the small quick jobs. I got it on clearance from the box, $50 covered the cost of the 2 blades.. Thinking I'd test it that night, and bring it back the next morning after it's dismal failure. But it's still in my stable, has it's uses.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
G Teoli

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post
If you plan on using this a lot, get the Fein Supercut. Twice the power.
This is the only way to go.

Nothing compares to the Fein. It's worth every penny. As soon as you discover just how indispensible it is you'll realize you should've bought the Supercut. But if you're shy about the cash, because it is a lot more money, then just buy the smaller Fein MM.

I should've bought the Supercut. But I'm still very satisfied with the Multimaster. Everything else is just a toy.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Carbon Dioxide Producer

Trade: EC
Rewards Points: 500

That corded Bosch with its 2.5 Amp rating doesnít sound like much, but my Rockwell only has a 2.3 Amp motor and it has a surprising amount of power, so Iíd be willing to bet the corded Bosch will have a decent amount of cutting ability.
It looks like they only thing they donít offer that Rockwell has is a small triangular sanding pad attachment. That is one thing I use quite often with my Sonicrafter.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
Pro

I was referring to the corded Bosch not cordless, should have made that clear. I think I'm going to end up getting the fein
Old 02-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,450

I have it and love it. Since I purchased this I also got the 12v driver and impact to go along with it and use them all the time. I got mine refurbished for $99 of cpo bosch, they still have it http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reco...efault,pd.html

Some people have complained of battery life and one of my batteries did crap out shortly after i bought it but I really have no complaints, the sander works great and it cuts really well as long as you dont hit nails.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

PS-50 has more than enough power but short run times. I use it all the time on ladders to do repairs, cutting, scraping and sanding.. The Fein is not all that different in performance than any of the MFT, corded ones, except for the chuck. Do not know why users think it is that much better. I was not impressed and returned mine after the wiring came loose on the switch terminal shortly after using it. Still an overpriced tool for what it is. Compared it to my HFT and it really did not do much differently in tasks. That is still working and was only $25. Waiting for the Bosch corded to come out.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M. View Post
PS-50 has more than enough power but short run times. I use it all the time on ladders to do repairs, cutting, scraping and sanding.. The Fein is not all that different in performance than any of the MFT, corded ones, except for the chuck. Do not know why users think it is that much better. I was not impressed and returned mine after the wiring came loose on the switch terminal shortly after using it. Still an overpriced tool for what it is. Compared it to my HFT and it really did not do much differently in tasks. That is still working and was only $25. Waiting for the Bosch corded to come out.
You're probably referring to the Fein Multi-cut. The Super Cut is the origional and is a serious workhorse.

The Multi-cut came out for the DIY crowd.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #15
Pro

I have the harborfreight now and it's ok besides when I have to smack it to start, just looking for a higher quality tool, as I only bought it to try out the general function of a multi tool
Old 02-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,754

Get the Fein. You won't regret it.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #17
Head Bottle Washer

Trade: Contractor and Head Bottle Washer
Rewards Points: 39

The batteries in the Bosch multitool do not hold a charge. Worked beside some one who was using the Bosch and battery died out. Let him borrow my Rockwell Sonicrafter, which is a corded tool. Plenty of power to cut sheetrock and to cut the raised panels. Though I do like the Free Bosch adapter and Blade. Only way to go for a Multi Tool is with a cord.

Last edited by sheetrock_22; 03-06-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,450

I disagree, I had one battery die and the other one has worked longer than I have ever needed it to. If you need it all day long then corded is the way to go, if you are like me and only need it for a few minutes at a time its ideal.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodel Contractor
Rewards Points: 842

Fein MM does anything I ask it to do very well, no regrets whatsoever. And by shopping around I've never paid more than about $11 per blade in 10 packs for genuine Fein blades. I have not had much luck at all with aftermarket blades including some that are sold to fit the fein which they do but not well enough, so there ends up too much movement between the tool chuck and the blade to cut worth a darn. I have not tried the blades in the link above.......but as stated, I pay that price for the real deal blades.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #20
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

I think that Bosch would be a great buy. I was given the opportunity to field test the 12v for Bosch. I found it very useful. It is not the beefiest tool, but it does work great for small jobs. The battery life could use some help, but with a fast charge and two batteries it kept up with us for most of the day.

I would personally buy the Bosch, but then again I am biased. I was even mentioned in the national ad that went out in JLC and Remodeling magazines (page 10 and 11).

http://mydigimag.rrd.com/publication/?i=46658

Advertisement

Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.