Boots - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Boots

Old 02-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 9,686

Boots

I'm looking at some new boots. I've worn Wolverine boots for the past few years. I find them really comfortable (I wear and orthotic), but I only get a year or so out of them. That is fine. Anyway, I thought I would try a boot with a safety toe, as they look a little tougher. Anyway, the fit is way different. I feel like I am swimming in them. Is that basically how a safety toe is? They are roomier in the footbed to accomodate for the size of the safety toe. I was surprised because it is basically the same boot I have just different toes. I've never worn a safety toe before, so I don't have any clue how they should generally fit. Thanks, Nick.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Utility, sitework, and erosion control contractor
Rewards Points: 178

Re: Boots

I have always worn safety toe. Well for the past 15 years or so. I find then to be warmer than regular toes because there is more air space in the toes. I'm lucky if I get a year out of my boots. Normally I'll only get 6-7 months. The only thing about the safety toes I find is that if your working on your knees much it is pretty easy to rub holes in the toes of the boots

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

You need to get your feet properly sized for width
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 9,686

My feet are pretty narrow. I ordered the narrowest they offer.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
pro

Trade: builder/remodeler
Rewards Points: 87

I recently bought some Timberland pros after everyone on this site seemed to like them. The are great and I cant tell thet have steel toes. I'm rough on shoes but these are 5 months old and look pretty good.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Construction and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,464

I bought a pair of timberland pros before winter. They are horrible. I'm not sure if its the model I bought, but they are the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever had. They are the composite toe power fit.

The soles are so stiff and hard. On the hot pavement they are ok, but if its cold out the rubber turns into a brick. When I walk it sounds like I have blocks of wood on my feet. In the snow and ice they are to dangerous to wear.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to dkillianjr For This Useful Post:
JR Shepstone (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,552

I've got a pair of the Timberland Pros too.

They're alright in my eyes. Have held up very well for the year or so I've had them.

My only complaint is the lugs on the soles are so deep they catch and hold mud like no other. And I have to second the comment above about when they're cold they make you sound like a horse clipping around.

I wish Timberland never got into the fashion game. There is nothing better than the old school wheat colored, 8 inch boot. Simple. And useful. You can't buy them off the shelf anywhere. All you can get are the ones that people wish they were construction workers wear.

My next pair of boots are going to be a pair of Thorogood's with the wedge sole.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: DECK BUILDER. RESIDENTIAL. COMMERCIAL
Rewards Points: 4,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
I'm looking at some new boots. I've worn Wolverine boots for the past few years. I find them really comfortable (I wear and orthotic), but I only get a year or so out of them. That is fine. Anyway, I thought I would try a boot with a safety toe, as they look a little tougher. Anyway, the fit is way different. I feel like I am swimming in them. Is that basically how a safety toe is? They are roomier in the footbed to accomodate for the size of the safety toe. I was surprised because it is basically the same boot I have just different toes. I've never worn a safety toe before, so I don't have any clue how they should generally fit. Thanks, Nick.
I've been wearing red wings / irish setters white wedge or black 6" with there brand of gore tex. I contribute a $75 allowance for my guys. They all wear them and are very comfortable with them. I make then all wear the wedge sole because I know we won't hold degree and track through out peoples homes. I think I've buying them for about 5 years -/+. I am in the city so I do walk a lot because it's just faster and I enjoy it so I put a lot of miles on them probably a pair or resole them every 10-14months.
I'm in them 5-6 days a week 10-13hrs day no smell no break in hassle really comfortable even when there worn to death.
they average about $160 or sole them of about $65-70. They were having a blow out last year and bought 4-5 pairs at $90 each so I won't be bothering with resoling them for a while.

Last edited by CITY DECKS INC; 02-24-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #9
Carpenter

Trade: Residential Carpentry
Rewards Points: 464

Try KEEN. They have an asymmetrical left and right steel toe for a better fit, roomy where it counts up in the steel to because of the design and snug through the rest.

Ive turned several guys on the job site on to them and they thank me for it. Plus they are comparatively priced with other major brands.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/wa...men/industrial

I personally wear the Louisville 8", the only gripe is the treads were ill designed by the heel and the little fin design just got shredded, but overall they are holding up great.

If I had to get a new pair today I would go for the Pittsburgh , it was not on the market back when I got my Louisville's.

If you want to go all out Red Wings are the best of the best, but you better have the coin or know where to get a deal.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:44 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Electrical Apprentice and Data Technician.
Rewards Points: 1,208

I find these thorogood wedges really good. So stable when lifting heavy equipement and I feel alot more secure going from the scaffhold onto the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Boots-forumrunner_20140224_215008.jpg   Boots-forumrunner_20140224_215036.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 04:06 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: residential construction
Rewards Points: 338

Not a boot but a high quality hiking shoe.

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/...ilmeister.aspx

These thing grab a smooth side 9/12 osb deck and every other pitch roof you want to throw at them.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boda
Try KEEN. They have an asymmetrical left and right steel toe for a better fit, roomy where it counts up in the steel to because of the design and snug through the rest. Ive turned several guys on the job site on to them and they thank me for it. Plus they are comparatively priced with other major brands. http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/wa...men/industrial I personally wear the Louisville 8", the only gripe is the treads were ill designed by the heel and the little fin design just got shredded, but overall they are holding up great. If I had to get a new pair today I would go for the Pittsburgh , it was not on the market back when I got my Louisville's. If you want to go all out Red Wings are the best of the best, but you better have the coin or know where to get a deal.
with the Louisville 8's do you have any problems with the hugging your ankle to tight?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #13
Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerwalker32 View Post
with the Louisville 8's do you have any problems with the hugging your ankle to tight?
Not at all, not even with big winter socks and long underwear running into them.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

I've been wearing hiking shoes lately, I started with like a $60-70 paint from sears about 6-7 years ago but now I buy the better ones $140-160 and they seam to hold out longer, the old one I keep them for dirty jobs like painting, or really crappy terrain jobs, I buy the water proof ones now they're light,nice med soles, and the lugs are good that they clean up easy when I go to homeowners houses.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Remodeling
Rewards Points: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boda View Post
Try KEEN. They have an asymmetrical left and right steel toe for a better fit, roomy where it counts up in the steel to because of the design and snug through the rest.

Ive turned several guys on the job site on to them and they thank me for it. Plus they are comparatively priced with other major brands.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/wa...men/industrial

I personally wear the Louisville 8", the only gripe is the treads were ill designed by the heel and the little fin design just got shredded, but overall they are holding up great.

If I had to get a new pair today I would go for the Pittsburgh , it was not on the market back when I got my Louisville's.

If you want to go all out Red Wings are the best of the best, but you better have the coin or know where to get a deal.
Those Pitts looks really nice. How does the rubber on the front hold up? Better than leather?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:38 AM   #16
Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcradio View Post
Those Pitts looks really nice. How does the rubber on the front hold up? Better than leather?
I would say its probably better than leather. I'll see if I can remember to snap a picture of them, Ive been abusing them at work for 6 months now, they hardly show any wear. I'm not sure exactly what the material is but its a standard feature on most of Keen's shoes/boots. They call it Keen Protect. I don't think its rubber, some sort of composite.

Advertisement