Bits For Flush Trimming Laminate Countertops - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Bits For Flush Trimming Laminate Countertops

Old 03-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 352

Bits For Flush Trimming Laminate Countertops

Need to do some laminate counter work and need to get a new bit for trimming it. I have a PC laminate trimmer that I've used for years and I've tried a few different styles of bits and just wondering what others use.

I've tried the simple cheap bits like this, http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-85286-Ca...te+trimmer+bit.

There's the flush trim bit with bearing, http://www.amazon.com/Dia-Bearing-Fl...te+trimmer+bit.

There's a 1/16" roundover bit that I assume leaves the edge not sharp so you don't have to file it, http://www.amazon.com/16-Radius-Lami.../dp/B002IPHGAC.

Another bit that has an angle to it, http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-85431M-A...te+trimmer+bit.

So what bits are you guys using to wrap things like countertops? Do you use different bits for different things? Don't do a lot of laminate work but once in a while I need to do a custom countertop or something.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,954

Re: Bits For Flush Trimming Laminate Countertops

If I have to use a flush trim bit it is the 1/4" diameter CMT.

I have the MFK 700, no bearing needed with the 700.

Tom

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,740

To trim I use the CMT bit with the triangle teflon bearing. The bearing doesn't spin and won't leave tracks on the edge. To break the edge I'll use one on the bevel bits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
WarriorWithWood (03-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #4
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Huisenga View Post
To trim I use the CMT bit with the triangle teflon bearing. The bearing doesn't spin and won't leave tracks on the edge. To break the edge I'll use one on the bevel bits.
This one, http://www.amazon.com/CMT-807-128-11...dp/B0017Q0HQS? That's a pretty slick idea. I'll have to order one of those.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
Pro

That's the one I use (except when I'm using the 700).

Tom

Last edited by tjbnwi; 03-24-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumLLC View Post
This one, http://www.amazon.com/CMT-807-128-11...dp/B0017Q0HQS? That's a pretty slick idea. I'll have to order one of those.
That's it.

Many routers that are designed to trim laminate have a bearing guide that mounts to the base that eliminates the need to use a bearing guided bit. All that is needed is a straight bit. You can also buy or make something like the Betterly File-Rite.

http://www.betterleytools.com/FILERITE1.htm
Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 191

I've been using the bearing guided bits a lot recently, adding some wd40 after every counter or door seems to keep the bearing clean. I've used the straight bits, some masking tape and or Vaseline/shortening works well to keel those running.

I haven't had a chance to try one of the Teflon bearing bits but I've heard good things.

I usually use a straight bit, clean the edge with lacquer thinner, and then bevel. On thinner laminate , often referred to as vertical grade, the bevel edge bit is the one to use. On thicker laminate such as countertops the roundover bit may be the way to go, just be very careful setting the depth so you don't cut too deep, this will save a bunch of time filing the edge after be beveling.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Sure, I can do that...

Trade: carpentry/renovations
Rewards Points: 196

CMT bearing bit followed with 180 grit sanding block to take the edge off.
Only used the Chamfer bit back in the day when it was popular to have an exposed wood edge.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #9
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Huisenga View Post
That's it.

Many routers that are designed to trim laminate have a bearing guide that mounts to the base that eliminates the need to use a bearing guided bit. All that is needed is a straight bit. You can also buy or make something like the Betterly File-Rite.

http://www.betterleytools.com/FILERITE1.htm
I have the PC kit with the regular base, tilt base, offset base, and the edge guide kit. I can use the edge guide which has a few different options like a bearing, a flat plastic edge, and two different pointed plastic edges to ride on the material. Fully adjustable.

What is the advantage to using the edge guide vs a bit with a bearing? I would think the bit would be more accurate.

So you guys use a flush bit to trim the laminate trimmed and then just zip it with the bevel bit to ease the sharp edge?
Old 03-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:

What is the advantage to using the edge guide vs a bit with a bearing? I would think the bit would be more accurate.

So you guys use a flush bit to trim the laminate trimmed and then just zip it with the bevel bit to ease the sharp edge?
No spinning bearing against the finished surface. The plates can be set dead on and adjusted to a bit that has been resharpened.

I hit the edge with a file or sanding block.

Using a lipping plate allowed me to under cut this solid wood edging so the dried finish film lines up with the top surface of the laminate.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Bits for flush trimming laminate countertops-img_0396.jpg   Bits for flush trimming laminate countertops-img_0397.jpg   Bits for flush trimming laminate countertops-img_0400.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
Justin Huisenga (03-26-2016), WarriorWithWood (03-25-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
I have the PC kit with the regular base, tilt base, offset base, and the edge guide kit. I can use the edge guide which has a few different options like a bearing, a flat plastic edge, and two different pointed plastic edges to ride on the material. Fully adjustable.

Like Tom said, no spinning bearing. You can also just use straight bits which are cheaper than flush trim bits. For convenience I usually just use the teflon bearing bit.

I'll flush trim first and then break the edge just slightly with the chamfer bit or a no-file bit. Set the height so that it goes no deeper than a single thickness of the laminate. I'll clean up any fuzzy edges with a quick pass with a sanding block or a file.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:26 PM   #12
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,440

What I use. Triangle bearing. In dewalt trim router
Old 04-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: carpenter & Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,510

I like to use a laminate pattern bit . This way you put the sheet of laminate on your work piece then clamp the laminate at each end before you glue up . What it does is let you pre-cut the laminate on top of your counter or work piece with a 1/4''-3/8'' over hang . Makes it easier to handle the laminate when it's glued up and ready to use . Then you can use what ever laminate trim bit you like .
Old 04-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #14
improving homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixnbux View Post

What I use. Triangle bearing. In dewalt trim router
That's the one I ordered. Will try it out and post back on how good it works. I like the fact that it doesn't have a bearing to get gummed up. does the glue stick to the plastic at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglei View Post
I like to use a laminate pattern bit . This way you put the sheet of laminate on your work piece then clamp the laminate at each end before you glue up . What it does is let you pre-cut the laminate on top of your counter or work piece with a 1/4''-3/8'' over hang . Makes it easier to handle the laminate when it's glued up and ready to use . Then you can use what ever laminate trim bit you like .
I saw those with the over sized bearings. Looks interesting. Probably leaves a better finish cut since you take off most of the extra material before glue up and then just have a little bit to trim with the flush cut?

Advertisement