Best Router For Edge Profiling? - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Best Router For Edge Profiling?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:26 AM   #1

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 160

Best Router For Edge Profiling?

Just looking for suggestions on what you guys think the best router for edge profiling is? I don't use a router for much beyond that.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 03:24 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Re: Best Router For Edge Profiling?

I have always been partial to Bosch routers.Used them daily for years.They are very smooth and hold up well.I would get a 2hp VS for general use.Might as well make it a plunge as once you get one you will find many more used for it.
I've also owned a lot of Porter Cables but am unsure of their quality these days and still always preferred to use the Bosch.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
greg24k (06-02-2015), Robie (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 05:18 AM   #3
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

I've burned up a couple of the bosch palm routers from using bits that were a bit to large. You have to take it easy on the bosch. Not a huge fan of the bosch's micro adjustment.

I recently bought a couple of the good porter cable palm routers, the ones that are 1-1/4 horse. I like them so far. I wanted a little more power than the bosch offered and the good porter cable palm routers look solid. Don't buy the cheap pc ones. Worthless imo. I have two or three that are rated just above worthless to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 05:44 AM   #4
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 704

Festool 1400. Hands down best, most versatile router on the market.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 06:23 AM   #5
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,420

Like Maco said, I also been using Boch combo for a long time and it never fails as long as the bits are sharp.

With that said it depends what kind of routing you plan to do, i.e wood type, profile size and type, etc you should use the router designed for a specific job.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,654

MFK 700 for small detail edges, 1010 for medium sizes edge bits, 1400 for lager profiles. 2200 for balls out huge bit turning, I use a 3-5/8" panel raising bit hand held in the 2200.

The new little DeWalts are very nice routers, probably what you're looking for.

Tom
Old 06-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,440

Best router for edge profiling?-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1433251804.178596.jpg

I find this 1 1/4 hp to be amazing for quick edge profiling, hinge mortising etc. Its lightweight and has led lighting in the base. Very good bit visibility when working also.
The Following User Says Thank You to kixnbux For This Useful Post:
Spencer (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 874

My first router was a Makita 3601b and its still my fav to this day:

http://images.tcdn.com.br/img/img_pr...0624155251.jpg

Low center of gravity, with the D handle makes its the most comfortable for edge tasks, and its capable of 1/2 inch bits. If all you are doing is small bits, then a trim router might do the job, but if you intend on larger cove, ogee, or roundover bits, you will need to step up to a midsize 1 1/2 horse to get it done.

I have a bosch d handle as well which I like, as its got a great base system for guide templates, but still like the Makita better. Makita's offering in this space today is more powerfull, but a bit too top heavy for my taste.

For the same reason, I hate the festool 1400. Handle just doesn't feel right to me on a router, but that just personal preference.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,058

best router for edge profiling doesn't say much . how big of a bit do you want to use . how many routers are you willing/wanting to own .
you will get to broad of a response with that question .
Old 06-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
I've burned up a couple of the bosch palm routers from using bits that were a bit to large. You have to take it easy on the bosch. Not a huge fan of the bosch's micro adjustment.

I recently bought a couple of the good porter cable palm routers, the ones that are 1-1/4 horse. I like them so far. I wanted a little more power than the bosch offered and the good porter cable palm routers look solid. Don't buy the cheap pc ones. Worthless imo. I have two or three that are rated just above worthless to me.
Judging from your description of the poor micro adjust I assume you were using a laminate trimmer and that is what they are designed for.Mine has held up well for 20 years for it's intended purpose.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
Livin the dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Judging from your description of the poor micro adjust I assume you were using a laminate trimmer and that is what they are designed for.Mine has held up well for 20 years for it's intended purpose.

Correct. I was mistaken to think I could make them work.

My biggest complaint was that the bit wouldn't run perpendicular to the fence. You could run an eight inch round over on one side and it would be perfect, rotate the router 180 degrees and you be beading. I bought them thinking I could leave dedicated bits in them like round overs but they didn't work out.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,750

I like my fixed base Porter cable 690 for edge profiles. I have that little Dewalt too. I even have a plunge base for or, very nice little router for light work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
kixnbux (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 382

Fixed base for edge routing. Either porter cable 690 or dewalt dw 618. Both seen to be cheap and durable. The porter cable has been around for ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joemack1 For This Useful Post:
Justin Huisenga (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #14
Pro

My biggest complaint was that the bit wouldn't run perpendicular to the fence. You could run an eight inch round over on one side and it would be perfect, rotate the router 180 degrees and you be beading. I bought them thinking I could leave dedicated bits in them like round overs but they didn't work out.[/QUOTE]

bummer .i was thinking those little bosch colts were so nice .that is way off square .I would expect that from harbor freight but not bosch. i have 4 little laminate set-up like you were thinking . bought them all used ,all old .though guess i needed to rebearing more then one .
Old 06-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #15
Livin the dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
My biggest complaint was that the bit wouldn't run perpendicular to the fence. You could run an eight inch round over on one side and it would be perfect, rotate the router 180 degrees and you be beading. I bought them thinking I could leave dedicated bits in them like round overs but they didn't work out.
bummer .i was thinking those little bosch colts were so nice .that is way off square .I would expect that from harbor freight but not bosch. i have 4 little laminate set-up like you were thinking . bought them all used ,all old .though guess i needed to rebearing more then one .[/QUOTE]

Miscommunication. I liked my bosch, the motor just didn't hold up. I was referring to the porter cable laminate routers that are cheap in regards to the perpendicular issue.

I have the better porter cable palm router now, the bosch has features that I like better, I like how the bosch changes the bit better, I find the pc to be really annoying to loosen/tighten.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
bummer .i was thinking those little bosch colts were so nice .that is way off square .I would expect that from harbor freight but not bosch. i have 4 little laminate set-up like you were thinking . bought them all used ,all old .though guess i needed to rebearing more then one .
Miscommunication. I liked my bosch, the motor just didn't hold up. I was referring to the porter cable laminate routers that are cheap in regards to the perpendicular issue.

I have the better porter cable palm router now, the bosch has features that I like better, I like how the bosch changes the bit better, I find the pc to be really annoying to loosen/tighten.[/QUOTE]
thanks for clearing that up .good info .
Old 06-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #17
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,654

I went through 4 Colts, just gave up. Between the adjustment, collet, and base they were as waste of money and time.

Tom
Old 06-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #18

Trade: General Carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

[QUOTE=tccoggs;3080602]My first router was a Makita 3601b and its still my fav to this day:

Same here and my opinion won't change. First used one in 1977 in my apprenticeship. It got hammered and I got my own years later. Still have it. Ours got used for everything and I admit it is a compromise on some other tasks but you only want it for edging.

One-handed operation if necessary, reliable old workhorse which does it's job without any fuss. Can, and has, get knocked off the workbench onto a concrete floor and will bounce right back to work. If it's edging and only edging you're doing, this will do the job.

Remember these numbers, 3601
Old 06-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Remodeling
Rewards Points: 355

ridgid palm router for me
The Following User Says Thank You to bcradio For This Useful Post:
alboston (06-04-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 276

The Dewalt 611 is a good little router. I bought the little dust port for it, helps but still messy.

The Festool 1010 is also a good little router. Dust port is a little more efficient but the chip catcher just drives me nuts. Maybe the more I use it the better I will like it.

Advertisement